Sign in to follow this  
l34rn3r

Airbag recalls

your missing the point,

Its a new safety device that's evolving over time . things change .

How does an airbag fitted in 1984 for example meet the requirements of today

I don't think I am missing the point. You are free to replace your own airbags. The rest of us are free to do the same. If we are worried about our vehicles safety, or safety systems, we are free to buy a newer better engineered vehicle. You cannot retrofit newer airbag technology to an older vehicle. In your 1984 example any "new" airbag would be old stock (unless you want to restart manufacture of old obsolete airbag technology) and so would be past your supposed age related safety point.

If it became known that "old" airbags would be unlikely to work, despite passing their self check whenever the vehicle is started (per WOF requirement), then maybe your point is valid. Until then, the 1984 airbag is considered to meet todays requirements as it is assumed to be totally functional, and because it was fit for purpose when it was manufactured- note this is in line with the rationale that allows classic cars on our roads, despite no crumple zones, headrests, seatbelts, collapsing steering columns, traction control... or airbags.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 4:46 PM, richard said:

so what happens when a car gets to say 40 yrs old and has the same air bags.

When you hit something, you don't get a "BANG" and a soft cushion...

your steering wheel farts and you whack you face on it. :D

• Like 1

Wife phoned Auckland City BMW last week to book her E46 Touring in and was given the choice of days next week, so not a massive wait and that is to change at least one bag over.

And it's an import as well... Even got a letter from BMW NZ (lol) ages ago that it needed doint, finally got around to booking it in with the dealer.

• Like 2

It turned out our E46 was one of the ones that has both the drivers and passengers bag affected, so they were both swapped over, covers replaced and car was given a very good clean inside and out. They even pointed out a couple of issues that needed attention which was a bonus as I had missed them during the last service. All free of charge, on an imported car, and no special treatment for me as it was all done by my wife.

So, to keep on like a broken record, if you are in doubt contact your local dealer with your chassis number and they will be able to let you know, and book you in as soon as they can, part availability permitting.

The latest update I have heard is that there has just been a new list of over 2 and half MILLION additional BMW vehicles affected released from Munich, which has been filtered and sent to the NZTA to see which of those are in New Zealand and find the owners details, so there will be another round of letters sent out very shortly.

• Like 1

yep, I got the recall notice from BMW NZ for my 2002 e46 last week.  will be visiting the website soon.  it's already had front passenger bag replaced under recall, I guess now it's time for the driver.