Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Max

EasyDIS v44

So I'm having a few problems installing EasyDIS v44 on a virtual machine, hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I can get the virtual machine set up and configured correctly (there's a few differences between the guide and the version of VM I'm using), and have been able to set up INPA, EDIABAS etc, and that's all working correctly. Following the guide found at http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1297683-How-to-install-DIS-w-EasyDIS-v44-step-by-step, I set up a new VM with the same settings, but for the life of me I cannot get it to install EasyDIS.

Anyone have any pointers? I'm positive it's something I'm doing wrong but for the life of me cannot work it out

1. What version of ediabas have you got installed?

2. Make sure you set the disk size to exactly 18.635GB.

3. Make sure you set up the three network interfaces as per the instructions.

4. Also you need to do this:

Choose "Touchscreen Calibration" in the Administration menu of the DIS.

Choose option 1, Config EDIABAS

Choose option 3, and set up FISTER as the interface

Start a terminal / shell by hitting "CTRL + ALT + F4" (F1, F3 and F4 are shells, F2 is the DIS GUI).

Login as "root" with the password "12345". Choose to change the password when prompted to do so. Remember the new password! Make a note of it.

Edit /etc/initab and comment out the line starting with "vm". You can do this from the DIS and FISTER-menu as well if you dont feel comfortable using "vi".

Start ifhserv32.exe (I also start head emulator)

If you hover over ifhserv32 on the task bar it should show an ip number when you start up VMware and the DIS connects.

I did this a while back, give us more detail on exactly what your problem is and it might jog my memory.

1. What version of ediabas have you got installed?

2. Make sure you set the disk size to exactly 18.635GB.

3. Make sure you set up the three network interfaces as per the instructions.

4. Also you need to do this:

Choose "Touchscreen Calibration" in the Administration menu of the DIS.

Choose option 1, Config EDIABAS

Choose option 3, and set up FISTER as the interface

Start a terminal / shell by hitting "CTRL + ALT + F4" (F1, F3 and F4 are shells, F2 is the DIS GUI).

Login as "root" with the password "12345". Choose to change the password when prompted to do so. Remember the new password! Make a note of it.

Edit /etc/initab and comment out the line starting with "vm". You can do this from the DIS and FISTER-menu as well if you dont feel comfortable using "vi".

Start ifhserv32.exe (I also start head emulator)

If you hover over ifhserv32 on the task bar it should show an ip number when you start up VMware and the DIS connects.

1. I'm not sure to be honest, I think it's 6.4.7? If you know how to check, let me know and I'll tell you the exact version. EDIABAS, INPA and NCS Expert all work fine, both on a virtual XP machine and my Win10 64 bit.

2. Yes, I did read that part was critical and ensured it was done.

3. Have followed the instructions given in the link above to the letter, and it doesn't seem to find the *.iso file to load the OS, hence why I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

4. I haven't gotten anywhere near any of this part yet to be honest, it's the first I've seen of that needing done so will keep it in mind, thanks for the tips!

I did this a while back, give us more detail on exactly what your problem is and it might jog my memory.

Basically I just can't seem to get the virtual machine to load the OS off an .iso file, no matter what I try, convinced it's a setting I've missed or something I'm doing wrong - or could be the copy of EasyDIS I got is no good.

Yeh sounds like virtual box might not be getting the CD image passed to it correctly or something; the bios is showing a CD drive right?

Yes, I can get a virtual drive set up and assign a letter to it, then change the settings in VMware Workstation 12 to tell it to load the ISO from that drive letter, and change the BIOS settings inside the VM to tell it to load from the virtual drive, but it just doesn't do it. It keeps defaulting to a network boot. Occasionally it has looked like it wanted to try but gives up saying it can't load the operating system...... starting to think it's a corrupt copy of EasyDIS, might have to start searching for another version me thinks

Ah...hang on. There are two versions of DIS kicking around. One is a full installer the other (easyDIS) is already a preconfigured vmdk. I'll put full step by step instructions up this weekend if you still haven't got it sorted out.

Ah...hang on. There are two versions of DIS kicking around. One is a full installer the other (easyDIS) is already a preconfigured vmdk. I'll put full step by step instructions up this weekend if you still haven't got it sorted out.

You're a legend, thanks heaps, really do appreciate that. I think mine is an installer version, in the process of downloading another version as well so will have a look at them both and try everything.

Here's a file listing of the version I've got if it helps, on dropbox somewhere and can probably find the link if you want it...

post-52830-0-38403000-1467837268.png

Here's a file listing of the version I've got if it helps, on dropbox somewhere and can probably find the link if you want it...

Fantastic, thanks, I'd say at a guess I got an incomplete version, as my file list looked nothing like that at all. So that may be the problem after all.

If you've got the link that would be fantastic, I also have the Siemens MS41 flash tool now if you want a copy of that?

Fantastic, thanks, I'd say at a guess I got an incomplete version, as my file list looked nothing like that at all. So that may be the problem after all.

If you've got the link that would be fantastic, I also have the Siemens MS41 flash tool now if you want a copy of that?

Sounds like a plan, PM me your email address you use for dropbox and I'll add you in, you should be able to upload the flash tool to there as well.

Make sure you get the English version. If you see DE anywhere...run away.

GT1/DIS44 requires ediabas 6.4.3

Some of this might help too:

After you have created a shortcut to IFHSrv32 on your desktop, close all the open
pages in Windows and return to your newly-created DIS “virtual machine”.
There is more work to do inside DIS in order to ensure that not only can it see our
diagnostic head, but that the head can also talk to DIS.
If you are having difficulty seeing the entire DIS screen, left click somewhere inside
the DIS window, then hold down the CTRL + ALT keys whilst you press the ENTER
key. This should resize the DIS window so that you can see the Administration
button on the lower right hand side of the screen without having to scroll down. If the
mouse pointer inside the DIS window becomes a bit temperamental, it can easily be
rectified at any time by holding down the CTRL + ALT keys to bring up the windows
mouse pointer. Just superimpose the windows mouse pointer over the DIS mouse
pointer and left click and the functionality of the mouse pointer in DIS will be restored.
Push the Administration button in DIS and from the DIS menu choose The
Calibrating touch screen button (second from the bottom). Enter the 5 digit dealer
number password you chose during installation (the recommended password was
12345) and wait for the utilities menu to pop up. When it does, choose Option 7
(SCOADMIN NETWORK).
A window will pop up showing 2 green driver icons – at the top of the screen will be
the SCO TCP/IP Loopback driver – DO NOT TOUCH THIS DRIVER.
Below this you will see a second driver – AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible –
PC1 Bus#0, Device #17, Function #0. The configuration settings assigned to this
device may not work with your particular machine so left click on the AMD PCNET –
PC1 Adapter Compatible line to highlight it, then from the Hardware Menu at the top
of the screen, choose “Remove network device”.
The next step is to re-add an AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible that your
machine will recognise by again going to the Hardware menu and choosing Add
new LAN adapter. A window will pop up showing AMD PCNet-PC1 Adapter
Compatible devices found on your computer – this is an important step as in my
case, the original adapter was set to work off Bus #0, Device #17, Function #0
whereas my computer requires the adapter to work off Bus #2. Choose the first AMD
PCNet-PC1 Adapter Compatible on the list then yes to add the new adapter and a
pop up will ask what protocol you want to add to the adapter – choose SCO TCP/IP
from the options displayed and a settings panel will pop up. The first line “Local Host
Name” should already be populated with gt1ap. The next line is where we need to
enter the IP Address, which is 192.168.68.30 . When you tab to the next line, the
Netmask address (255.255.255.0) should back populate, as should the Broadcast
Address 192.168.68.255, TCP connections and Pseudo ttys lines. Hit OK to accept
these adapter settings and return to the SCOADMIN NETWORK page where you will
see your newly created adapter listed in place of the one you deleted.
Before going further, hold down CTRL + ALT and hit ENTER to pop up the toolbar of
your Virtual Machine and press the CTRL + ALT keys together to pop up the
Windows mouse pointer.
From the Virtual Machine Edit menu, choose Virtual Network Settings, then on the
Next Screen, Select the Host Virtual Network Mapping Tab. Now Click on the >
symbol located on the Right hand side of the VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 line
and choose Subnet... to view its IP Address and Subnet Mask. Ensure that the IP
Address is listed as 192.168.68.0 by altering it if necessary and that the Subnet Mask
is 255.255.255.0. When this has been completed, click OK and then click the Apply
button at the bottom of the screen before choosing OK to exit the editor and save
your settings.
After the editor has closed, left click back inside the SCOADMIN NETWORK window
and this time choose Exit from the Hardware menu. A message will pop up telling
you that your settings have changed and asking if you want to relink the kernel.
Choose yes and a black screen will pop up, advising you that the kernel is to be
rebuilt, relinked and asking if you want to use it to rebuild the system. Choose yes to
all of the prompts. The Virtual machine will reconfigure itself to adapt to your new
settings, then shut itself down and restart.
When DIS appears, again choose the Administration button, then Calibrating
touch screen. Enter the 12345 password and again choose Option 7. SCOADMIN
NETWORK.
We need to view our EDIABAS.ini and hosts settings from the Unix side, to ensure
we can talk to our Windows software and interface.
When the SCOADMIN NETWORK screen appears, left click in a blank section of the
window and hit CTRL + SysRq to access the Unix root file (remember the black
screen you encountered when the kernel was rebuilding?) at the login prompt, type
root, then choose option 1 to choose a password. The easiest password to
remember if you get stuck is password so type password once then again when
prompted to confirm your choice.
A few lines of text will be generated by the root file, the last being TERM = (scoansi)
_ hit ENTER when you see this line and # should appear at the beginning of the next
line. Be careful when working with UNIX, as commands are case sensitive .
After the # type cd /etc another # will appear at the beginning of the next line – after
it, type vi ediabas.ini. You should view this file to ensure that the correct IP address
192.168.68.1 and port 6801 are identified. If not, use the UNIX command summary
to edit and resave the file.
After viewing the correct EDIABAS.ini file, type :q! to exit without changes or :wq to
save changes and exit the file.
When the # prompt reappears, type vi hosts.
A file will appear listing IP addresses, it will look something like this:-
# @(#) hosts, v 6.1 1993/08/21 02:17:48 stevea Exp – STREAMware TCP/IP
source
e
# SCCS IDENTIFICATION
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.68.30 gt1ap gt1ap
192.168.68.32 gt1ap2 gt1ap2
“hosts” x lines xxx characters
We need to modify this file so that it can find our diaghead, so use the down arrow to
place the cursor on the line 127.0.0.1 localhost then type o (to open a
new line underneath the present line).
Type 192.168.68.1 diaghead diaghead then hit the ESC key
Note that keystrokes are the IP address(TAB)diaghead(SPACE)diaghead(ESC)
The modified files should now look like this:-
# @(#) hosts, v 6.1 1993/08/21 02:17:48 stevea Exp – STREAMware TCP/IP
source
e
# SCCS IDENTIFICATION
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.68.1 diaghead diaghead
192.168.68.30 gt1ap gt1ap
192.168.68.32 gt1ap2 gt1ap2
“hosts” x lines xxx characters
After hitting the ESC key type :wq to exit the file and save your changes and return
to the # prompt. At the # prompt, type init 6 to reboot the program or init 0 to
shutdown DIS.
NEARLY FINISHED!
DIS should always be shut down by choosing the Administration button, then
going to the utilities menu from the calibrating touch screen button and
choosing Option 0
In order to use DIS to diagnose your car, first hit the IFHSrv32 shortcut you
created earlier so that the Network between DIS and EDIABAS is supported. The
IFHSrv32 icon will appear on your toolbar. Make sure that there are no Antivirus
programs or firewalls running, then start your DIS/GT1 Virtual Machine.
A few minor adjustments may need to be made, depending upon what diagnostic
head you are using – for example I use an ADS interface, so I had to use the Utilities
menu to change the translator to “FISTER” and ensure that vm was switched off as
INPA had been set up to use ADS rather than an OBD interface.
Remember that if you do make changes, you will also need to restart EDIABAS from
the Utilities menu to ensure that your settings are adopted and saved.

Sounds like a plan, PM me your email address you use for dropbox and I'll add you in, you should be able to upload the flash tool to there as well.

Pm sent.

Make sure you get the English version. If you see DE anywhere...run away.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. And will have a good read at the rest of the tech stuff as well when I get to setting it up, much appreciated.

I assume you're pirating a version of ms41 flash tool.... It's cheap, why bother? If people keep doing this the developer won't bother developing other cool software and just keep it to him self.

I assume you're pirating a version of ms41 flash tool.... It's cheap, why bother? If people keep doing this the developer won't bother developing other cool software and just keep it to him self.

I hear your point there, however your assumption is incorrect - AFAIK it's not a pirated version, this is a shareware/freeware version. I can't afford to run the risk of having pirated software on my work computer. And having developed things in the past, I do know the frustration of developing stuff only to get nothing for it.

Fully agree with your points about it being cheap and about the developer, there is no argument there. And most freeware versions you can make a donation to the developer.

I was assuming it was the same situation as INPA and easydis etc, took a number of goes to find a workable version of that...

I don't know of a free version of ms41 flash tool, it's a aftermarket thing developed by someone else, they do a ews delete tool as well as other things. My apologies if we are talking about different software.

• Like 1

It may not be the exact same tool by the same developer, however I and I'm sure John as well fully understand where you were coming from, and that's cool - no offence taken, no butt hurt received lol.

Massive thanks to both John and Andrew. Turns out I must've had a bad copy, as I got another .ISO file last night, opened VM Machine, pointed the operating system to the new ISO file and.... lo and behold, EasyDIS installed..... then GT1............

So next step (sometime over the weekend lol) will be to work through all the advice here on the settings, then I can test it out.

Again, thanks to both for your input and help, it's very much appreciated!

• Like 1

There's so much error in that install instruction above .... Where do I start?!!! Hmmmm

First off you don't need three network drivers just the one. Having three actually messes things up.

Second easydis has a built in diagnostic head emulator so you don't need to run one separately but you can if you like.

Third, you don't need to input 192.168.68.1 diaghead diaghead - that also confuses the system.

There's so much error in that install instruction above .... Where do I start?!!! Hmmmm

First off you don't need three network drivers just the one. Having three actually messes things up.

Second easydis has a built in diagnostic head emulator so you don't need to run one separately but you can if you like.

Third, you don't need to input 192.168.68.1 diaghead diaghead - that also confuses the system.

Interesting...... thanks for the input Tom, I haven't gotten as far as even trying to configure or connect it yet, got sidetracked with a few other things that popped up but will keep this in mind.

I'm sure there are a whole heap of installation instructions floating around, but it was that one that worked for me.

On 7/6/2016 at 11:08 PM, Mad_Max said:

Hi,I'm really looking for the MS410 flasher,want access to Immo delete

On e39.

Edited by Eddie SLMT
Model was not specified