Sign in to follow this  
User Name

e28 (The beast) Forced Induction

Story: So i purchased my 2nd E28 around 10 years ago now and had the plan to turbo the car but life got in the way and i had to move oversea's for last 6/7 years...So it sat in the garage next to my alfa 33 (w 1.7ltr sud engine)

Now im back in NZ i have decided that i am going to dedicate myself to doing up the e28 over the next year or so then possibly sell the car but who knows (sure ill make a loss).

I am trying to do as much myself, and on the cheapish

Current:

M30b35 from E32 (Stock)

5 Speed Manual Transmission

Crap ratio rear diff ( ex auto car so great for burnouts in 1st . 2nd)

Biggest stock bmw brakes i could fit under 15" rims (believe 735i & 540)

Stock Suspension

Exhaust - 2" twin pipe or 3" Straight off old e28

ECU - MS2 + Air temp sensor + o2

The plan:

Engine - 55 lbs Injectors / FPR / MLS or Cooper Ring Head Gasket / Block (Stock for now) / Head (Stock for now)

Engine Mount - Right side custom (dependant on space required)

Suspension - JRZ Coilovers (or similar) , Sway bars

Intake - Now Either ITB setup from M5 or Custom 2JZ

Exhaust - Custom 2 x 2" - 2.5" full exhaust

Driveline - LSD 3.97 (dependent on power output) / Balanced drive shaft

Bushings - New all around

Cage - Half / Full cage

Paint - Touch up / undercarriage repaint (have a custom color in mind but $$$ dependent & access to booth)

Induction - T3 Twin Scroll - HSR40RS (lightened compressor wheel)

Insides - Seats refurbished / New carpet (due to leaky battery one of my family members put in there while i was oversea's)

I'm in the manawatu area, so just giving a shout out as im sure i will need help down the track as im not superman haha.

I will update this as i go through the build.

Update 4.0:

So not much has gone on since august due to issues with parts, but fuel system images below and manifold is now ready to be finalised.

There is going to be another delay once completed due to having to sell another project to re-finance this one

IMAG0849.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

IMAG1145.jpg

IMAG1132.jpg

IMAG1134.jpg

IMAG1146.jpg

IMAG1147.jpg

Edited by User Name
Update
  • Like 4

Pictures would be awesome

• Like 1

Note i will be moving this to the project page shortly

Note i will be moving this to the project page shortly

Done :)

• Like 2

Sorry, did I read that right? You're planning a compound turbo setup instead of a twincharged setup? A properly setup compound turbo setup would work really well and if you can fabricate it yourself, will be much cheaper than that 4k supercharger with similar results (very low boost threshold and a huge powerband)

Slight hijack...

Assuming the e32 sump is the same as an e34, does the e32 sump fit in the e28? I haven't been able to find a clear answer (currently building a b34/b35 hybrid)

Slight hijack...

Assuming the e32 sump is the same as an e34, does the e32 sump fit in the e28? I haven't been able to find a clear answer (currently building a b34/b35 hybrid)

Hey Bud,

My engine came out of an e32 originally, i had no issues just putting the engine in same place except for the right hand side engine mount which needed to be re-fabbed.

The big difference i found between the 2 and can take pictures if i can find the old e28 one if it hasn't been used for scrap it.

The front left hand side by where power steering pump is attached has a mounting bracket (that to me looked like engine mount - its not off course ) that sits down the side of the pan which takes up space and doesn't look that nice to be honest.

Message me if you want a pic and ill see what i can do.

• Like 1

Hey Bud,

My engine came out of an e32 originally, i had no issues just putting the engine in same place except for the right hand side engine mount which needed to be re-fabbed.

The big difference i found between the 2 and can take pictures if i can find the old e28 one if it hasn't been used for scrap it.

The front left hand side by where power steering pump is attached has a mounting bracket (that to me looked like engine mount - its not off course ) that sits down the side of the pan which takes up space and doesn't look that nice to be honest.

Message me if you want a pic and ill see what i can do.

Thanks. If it fits then it's all good. I've currently got both in my garage, but only a b35 alternator, hence wanting to use the b35 sump.