Sign in to follow this  
Thomay

interesting e38

i cant work out if i like the colour, guess its one of those ones you'd have to see with your own eyes to make a precise judgement. Same goes for the interior. Regardless, it looks rather tidy.

Whats the 728i like performance wise? ive driven 730i and 740i and both seemed to have ample power for a comfortable drive..

I reckon the colour looks great. But would have to see it in the flesh to be sure haha.

The 728i is fine for city driving but probably a bit sluggish for hills or roadtrips. I wouldnt pass up a nice example because of the engine though. The 2.8L is a good engine in itself.

Pity its in the South Island

728i is a nice drive - I've had mine for 10 years. It turns from lazy cruiser to into a reasonably rapid lounge if you rev it.....not that much torque low down. Fast enough to go places.

• Like 4

What is the color? Would like to get the full individual spec but none of the decoders seem to list it.

728i move along just fine. remember its the top engine in the E36 except for the M3, and only 400kg or so heavier.

• Like 1

"Only 400kg or so heavier" lolol.

• Like 2

That color combo is rare and so nice. If it was a V8 I'd be all over it.

"Only 400kg or so heavier" lolol.

whats your joke?

almost identical power to weight to a "GE8 Honda Fit RS", and an E36/E46 320i as well.. and i know which id rather be in

all of these are not rocket ships (although the Jazz RS is probably most marketed as such....), but were never designed to be. they keep up with traffic just fine and more than able to pass when required of them.

• Like 2

whats your joke?

almost identical power to weight to a "GE8 Honda Fit RS", and an E36/E46 320i as well.. and i know which id rather be in

all of these are not rocket ships (although the Jazz RS is probably most marketed as such....), but were never designed to be. they keep up with traffic just fine and more than able to pass when required of them.

I was surprised after following your 728i to Auckland Andy. It put on a surprising turn of speed at times. :D

whats your joke?

Thats a terrible comparison. My Fit is slow, its only a small engine, but its also very efficient to run and light enough that its still fun to drive. A 728i gets the same slows without the benefits the Fit has.

I know first hand how slow an E36, E46 and E39 3/523i is as i have owned all of them, and its got more torque and similar power to a 320i.

A 728i has a good 20hp over an E39 323i, but the curb weight of a 728i is also about 250kg more (1495kg E39 - 1740hp E38)

Im bored at work so lets try this too.

E39 523i - 114 BHP/TON

E38 728i - 111 BHP/TON

GE8 Fit - 112 BHP/TON (120HP 1070KG)

NC MX5 - 147 BHP/TON

• Like 2

Thats a terrible comparison. My Fit is slow, its only a small engine, but its also very efficient to run and light enough that its still fun to drive. A 728i gets the same slows without the benefits the Fit has.

But the E38 is also comfortable and quiet, something a Jazz will never be. Also, having driven one, fun must be a personal thing, I found it rather bland, where even a 1.6 E36 can be fun in the right hands.

• Like 3

your little Honda so called cheap to run, but 8L/100km is very achievable in a 728i, mine would sit around the 9 mark but I'm not a light foot, and it had heavy 20" wheels to spin.

ill keep my 10 speakers, 10 airbags, fully electric leather seats front and rare, ample leg room front and back, and a boot big enough far bigger than your practical hatch back.

all that and the 7 is a fraction of the price.

why be a peasant?

about the only advantage i can think of for the tin can honda is the ease of parking it.

to get back on track. as detailed with the stats Kelvin has provided above, 728i are not slugs just because they are the base model. far better power to weight than the base model 3 and 5 of equivalent age and they still sold well.

if specced with the EDC suspension I'm sure they dance bloody well for a pushing two tonne car, mine did very well as it was on standard suspension, the crap chinese tyres let it down the most when i first got it, but i put some Potenza RE003s on the front and turn in was very good for a car of the size.

• Like 2

your little Honda so called cheap to run, but 8L/100km is very achievable in a 728i, mine would sit around the 9 mark but I'm not a light foot, and it had heavy 20" wheels to spin.

ill keep my 10 speakers, 10 airbags, fully electric leather seats front and rare, ample leg room front and back, and a boot big enough far bigger than your practical hatch back.

all that and the 7 is a fraction of the price.

why be a peasant?

about the only advantage i can think of for the tin can honda is the ease of parking it.

I dont see how your boot is more practical than a hatchback, hell, i fit my rollcab in the Fit when i bought it; theres no way it would fit in your "far bigger" boot. The fit will do low 5l/100km on the open road, and averages 7l/100km in SH2 start/stop rush hour traffic every day.

The 728i has a worse power to weight ratio than my 523i and that thing was tragically slow.

Anyway, this isnt meant to be a discussion of my far superior for a daily Fit over a base model 7 series, so ill stop. But keep in mind my original comment, "only 400kg heavier" isnt a good thing.

Whats the 728i like performance wise? ive driven 730i and 740i and both seemed to have ample power for a comfortable drive..

the 728i facelift is a better drive than the 730i - faster, more economical, lighter.

the M52TU powered ones are better and the sports, with the shorter diff ratio, are better again.