Sign in to follow this  
Racer Rog

Smell and a little more performace

I have a E39 528 Touring, just lately I have noticed a burnt fuel/oil smell drifting into the car, it does not burn oil, but is dropping a bit on the left side of the engine, any clues as what to look for? also I have thought about a bit of added power, although it does go well, given its age and K's driven and I think it's a better car than some of the new ones, thought about the superchager route, but don't have much info on that conversion, other than the guy on trade me saying it's great. its the single vanos unit, if that makes much difference.

That guy on trademe was banned from this site.

• Like 1

That guy on trademe was banned from this site.

Ouch, slightly off-topic, any reason for his ban? Product not as stated?

Ouch, slightly off-topic, any reason for his ban? Product not as stated?

Um, not sure if I'm allowed to say.

Maybe I will leave it to the mods.

He was not a pleasant person and i certainly wouldnt give him my money.

In regards to the oil leak, likely coming from valve cover gasket or oil filter housing gasket. Best to clean it all down with brake clean or degreaser, and then try and trace where its coming from.

Not leaking from valve cover gasket, and thats all new, same with filter, the only thing I can think of, is crankcase breather? also what is the weeze on super charging, I would buy that guys plans, but it is a little pricey, and I could machine most myself, its just time, but drawings do make it easier, also thought about the 3 litre engine, but unsure what you would have to change due to double Vanos, just planning for when the engine goes pop, but does not seem to want to do that so far, its a Jap import, which was brought in by BMW, and still goes very well, very good on fuel on the open road, just lacks a wee bit of grunt, without thrashing its arse off, but I do love the shape.

If you want more power, have you considered swapping in the v8, instead of supercharging or swapping in the 3litre 6?

just lacks a wee bit of grunt, without thrashing its arse off

Sorry, not understanding the problem :P

Seriously - sort yourself out, and do a manual conversion B) . We've got a factory manual 525i (M54), and it really does liven them up - massive difference over the auto. A properly converted manual 528i wagon would be a nice drive - not a rocketship, but no slouch. You only need two of the gears to get past the legal open road limit, so if you really want to take out a 80km/h cruiser, it's only a very short thrashing it needs. A 540i will blitz it though! Duh!

If you're going to do anything major though, it makes more sense to sell it and buy something more suitable***

The 540i is NOT as hungry as most people think it will be either.

*** we aren't all sensible - I mostly choose the stupid option (like the 10K I've got tied up in a $5K VW "family" car, and I haven't even DONE the conversion yet :blush: )

Don't like V8's but if I wanted one I would buy a Covette with a LS motor, I love the smoothness of the six's, and as for sensble cars, we have very late model Toyota's and big trucks.