Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

New Clutch Options?

Looking at buying a new flywheel/clutch for a Z3, M52TU20 engine, Getrag 220 gearbox, 160,000 km on the clock. Factory fitted with 228 mm clutch. Flywheel is the standard 6 cylinder dual mass one that will also take the 240 mm clutch

Priced up a new dual mass flywheel and clutch kit from Pelican parts and it comes to $2,300. A bit too steep.

Looking at the NZAD Stage 2 kevlar clutch for $1,260:

- It's a 240 mm clutch. Will it fit in my gear box?

- Can anyone tell me how it feels on the peddle? The car is a daily drive, so not looking for a hard clutch peddle that will wear out your leg in stop/start traffic.

What other options are there to source a full flywheel/clutch kit at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Muzz

I've got the G220 with NZAD clutch (behind M52b28), would not recomend for daily driver (though I do use mine for this), kevlar clutch is grabby and very stiff.

Why the desire for a new flywheel?

• Like 1

I've got the G220 with NZAD clutch (behind M52b28), would not recomend for daily driver (though I do use mine for this), kevlar clutch is grabby and very stiff.

Why the desire for a new flywheel?

Agreed, ( slightly off topic ) do you get a bit of chatter from the stg2? Had that on my brothers setup same as yours a few years back.

Agreed, ( slightly off topic ) do you get a bit of chatter from the stg2? Had that on my brothers setup same as yours a few years back.

Yeh a little bit, just use it as a reminder not to ride the clutch :P

Getting shudders in the clutch sometimes when starting off. In reverse or 1st gear. Reading the forums, its due to hot spots on the face of the flywheel. These hot spots don't wear at the same rate as the rest of the flywheel face, hence they start to get sticky.

If I'm going to be replacing the clutch plate and pressure plate, I may as well replace the flywheel and get away from the shudders.

I stuffed up refitting the slave cylinder after a hand bleed and did not engage the clutch fork correctly. Now I have the internals of the slave cylinder in the bottom of the bell housing. Gear box coming out in the morning to retrieve the parts, so may as well check out the clutch while I'm in there.