Sign in to follow this  
Kirrama

Hampton Downs Track Days November 2016

With Tony Quinn's magnificent improvements/extensions, is there a schedule for club Days

in the coming season at Hampton Downs ? On April 10 this year during the final round of The Classic Japanese series the track was closed for one hour while American / V8's drove sedately around for 5 laps. I wasn't sure if this was a "club" event,but it didnt cost them a bean !

Does BimmerSport or any other Auckland Car Clubs have any plans to have an event in 2016 -17 for those of us who dont have :

fire proof suits,

roll cages,

Titanium Helmets

but I would be willing to pay $ 80 ( say ) to follow a pace car at say 180km max just for the thrill.

Single file 10 seconds intervals :no over taking: 15 minutes or so on the track.

Cars to be Road legal.

According to Keith Jones, who is involved with the Classic Japanese series the rental for the day

at H Downs will increase next season, if the extension is used,

Pukekohe circuit day rental for clubs is being finalised soon, I am informed.

Any thoughts or information ??

• Like 1

Options:

Become a GT club member $15000 to $20000 a year

Public will only get to use the 1.2-.8 club track

Playdays have moved all their events to Taupo..............

Hey thanks Mark....for taking the time to reply.Do you think that Puke and Hampton Downs will see the huge marketing possibilites to

open their tracks for a fun Half hour.

For f ... sake, there were cyclists going anti clockwise at Puke a few Sundays ago.

Called the Lyrcra Maniacs. Did they pay The Counties Racing Club a TRACK FEE of $ 5000 for the Day ?

Or was it $20 per rider ?
The Counties Racing Club annual financial report is due soon.

The income from "Racing Track Activities" will be interesting reading.

A "fun" track day for Auckland Minis, VW or any other brand would generate income for the struggling club.

Unfortunately Bimmersport does not own either of those tracks, so your breath (or finger tips) is wasted here. Why not put the suggestion to them instead?

• Like 1

If you've got no helmet the fastest you are allowed to go is 100km/h, even on a track event, thanks to OSH.

BMW Car Club used to do a great track day but not sure if it's still run, due to dropping numbers and increasing costs.

Forget about Hampton's, that is getting more expensive, track days now $175. And the long track is only for GT members.

Puke you would be certifiably insane to drive at more than 60km/h without a helmet.

Surely you can find a mate with a lid to borrow, then do a track day, and go from there.

Wow, so down here in Chch we have Canterbury Track Days whom run events out at Ruapuna. There is a cost of $100 per day but 60 cars (So 4 groups of 15) and there are some rules that need to be abided by. Helmets, 100% cotton overalls (Really cheap to buy), fire extinguisher and WOF standard car or to their discretion are all that is needed (All cars are run through a scrutineering process).

Hearing this makes me feel very lucky for what we have down here! Then again whats stopping someone from up there from renting the track for $5k and doing what they do down here getting people along??

Anyone wanting to come out to one of the track days i run at Hampton Downs and spend a bit of time out in your own car is welcome to.. just send me a message and we can arrange it. next date will be in April 2017, still confirming it.. mike

Edited by mikes635csi
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike, have you got any indication of rough price per day and whether it will be a weekend or not? Also if it would be the club track or national/international track. Pretty keen.

Thanks
Rae

On 17/07/2016 at 8:59 PM, Kirrama said:

With Tony Quinn's magnificent improvements/extensions, is there a schedule for club Days

in the coming season at Hampton Downs ? On April 10 this year during the final round of The Classic Japanese series the track was closed for one hour while American / V8's drove sedately around for 5 laps. I wasn't sure if this was a "club" event,but it didnt cost them a bean !

Does BimmerSport or any other Auckland Car Clubs have any plans to have an event in 2016 -17 for those of us who dont have :

fire proof suits,

roll cages,

Titanium Helmets

but I would be willing to pay $ 80 ( say ) to follow a pace car at say 180km max just for the thrill.

Single file 10 seconds intervals :no over taking: 15 minutes or so on the track.

Cars to be Road legal.

According to Keith Jones, who is involved with the Classic Japanese series the rental for the day

at H Downs will increase next season, if the extension is used,

Pukekohe circuit day rental for clubs is being finalised soon, I am informed.

Any thoughts or information ??

You could look at joining a series? NZ Superlap Series is very similar to what you describe (although we've sold out this season, and more expensive but more track time than). Otherwise look at more street/cruise orientated events such as Chrome Expression Session.

On 24/12/2016 at 9:16 PM, mikes635csi said:

Anyone wanting to come out to one of the track days i run at Hampton Downs and spend a bit of time out in your own car is welcome to.. just send me a message and we can arrange it. next date will be in April 2017, still confirming it.. mike

I could be keen depending on price and track.

"You could look at joining a series? NZ Superlap Series is very similar to what you describe (although we've sold out this season, and more expensive but more track time than). "

I tried but missed out (only really wanted to do Hampton Downs) Bugger 

Edited by sweetm3
spelling