Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Miss M's E36 318i 5-speed

It is definitely possible to buy back, and if it is de-registered as an insurance write-off it is noted on the NZTA system so needs repair certs and full entry certification to be able to re-register. However very common for people to buy wrecks back cheap and then part out so they can recover all the good bits off the car.

If it's such a slight ding, given it's her first car why not just run with it?

And if you kept the old springs you can swap them back in before the car goes anywhere. Or pick up a set of 4 cheap ones from Brent?

Edited by M3AN

57 minutes ago, M3AN said:

If it's such a slight ding, given it her first car why not just run with it?

And if you kept the old springs you can swap them back if before the car goes anywhere. Of pick up a set of 4 cheap ones from Brent?

It was an opportunity to get it sorted - close inspection showed the paint had split leading to rust, and without completely dismantling I couldn't see what else may have happened behind that piece. I don't think the metal had split (although that's possible), in which case I'd be happy to just brush prime and even brush paint with something approximating the original colour. :)

I shipped the old springs to someone the day before we were knocked... :rolleyes:

The word from the assessor is back - "Fix it". Actually, I doubt he said that, but that's the short version.

So the back will be sorted, and I'll have the rear arches re-shaped and sorted as best they can readily be. I'll do the fronts myself - they're nowhere near as bad in terms of shape, and represent a slightly simpler clean, rust kill and paint job.

• Like 1

So am I correct in assuming you'll come out better off than before the prang?

Just now, zero said:

So am I correct in assuming you'll come out better off than before the prang?

That'd be nice, but no. The car will be in better shape, but only courtesy of having the arches sorted.

We're being very good boys. No naughty 'extra' bits being fixed while the insurance work is being done. Just getting the arches sorted as a separate job at the same time.
I'm sure it might have been possible to fiddle things, but I can't be bothered with finding someone prepared to do that. It's just not worth it.

We're happy. Miss M gets her car back. :)

My e36 coupe had a similar mishap, was insured for 2.7K, my panelbeater asked if I wanted to write it off or save it because it could go either way!! I decided to save it.

• Like 1

She's back. :)

Looks so, sooo much better. Not perfect  - wasn't expecting perfect - but much more 'right'. Very pleased.

Just need to sort the front, now...

And the locks. The drivers' door lock is almost completely stuffed. Had to climb over from the passenger side this morning.

57 minutes ago, jom said:

Not sure if you have fogs sorted...

A very, very nice man from Wellington dropped some off recently when he was up this way.  He also left some other useful bits and pieces, none of which I've had a chance to do anything with because the car wasn't at home!

Passed it's first WoF since we bought it today.

That routine of doing little bits all the time is paying off. There's the tiniest hint of a whisper from what could be a crack in the rear box of the exhaust, but you only notice it when you're under the car and close to it. At the moment, anyway.

Going to be looking for a replacement rear section at some point in the not-too-far-distant future.

6.58L/100km.

Is this unusually economical?

My best in the 318 is 7.3, but I give it more jandal than miss M will. Sounds about right for lots of open road runs.

I could get down to 7.2 from my 328i on the open road so that seems plausible.

• Like 1

From memory I got to 6.3 on a trip in the 316I so that's not unreasonable. I have a very heavy foot when it comes to departing intersections and don't waste time getting up to speed with 100kph traffic either ;)