Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New forum software

Sweet!

How do I revert to the previous theme please? Can't see myself liking this one.

• Like 1

Not possible. They're different...

Give it some time and James a chance to tweak the software.

• Like 1

There must be alternatives, I think this one is awful, it's just like all the elements were spewed onto the page.

Let's at least enable all the alternatives. A "tweak" isn't going to fix this one.

Unfortunately the old software was kinda end-of-life (my perception - I've not spoken to James) and getting support for it may have proven difficult. Hence the change. (Change... I appreciate you'd not necessarily agree with 'upgrade'! ;) )

I dont mind it so far.. its kind of washed out  looking though, I liked the contrast the old one had. 

Too much grey and white here. 

At least the avatars seem bigger, I can see my soarer more clearly :D 

I'm sure a sweet theme will come along at some stage and bring back the BS vibe we all know and love.

I'm liking the push notifications... for now. Also seems reasonably intuitive to change settings and such once you start looking. I wasn't a fan of the multiple different pages of various settings to scroll through in the old one.

Looks good, just less inconspicuous for those who use this at work :P

• Like 1

When I can be assed (and get actual time which is more the issue these days for me) ill take a good look at the theme ... This one is the out of the box default and some colour adjustments... you should of seen it before :)

The new system is quite different than before. Its all pre-defined CSS and tags which is referenced in the database and not a static file. So its not going to be so straight forward.

Anyways, have been thinking about a 'work' theme (probably this) and a darker theme like before for people who arent fussed about browsing at work.

3 hours ago, hybrid said:

... you should of seen it before...

Perhaps that's my problem? No preview, no opportunity to provide feedback?

A very harsh and stark change. However well intentioned these things deserve a soft introduction rather than a crash landing.

• Like 1

It would of mattered not. The way the software is designed can't be changed and unfortunately means one of us with the ability to change it needs to spend a lot of time bringing it back to something similar to before. (Me)

Between work and family my time is very limited so it will get done when I can do it. In the mean time probably stop worrying g about how the site looks and concentrate on the content.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hybrid said:

...In the mean time probably stop worrying g about how the site looks and concentrate on the content...

Spoken like a true sysadmin!

Us ungrateful users, who needs 'em anyway. ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Us ungrateful users, who needs 'em anyway. ;)

Dinosaurs, that's what they are. This is the new way! ;)

Considering how much it costs to be a member here I think Josh and James are doing a damn good job!

Perhaps if you don't like it so much he can refund you your membership fee? :P

Edited by huff3r
forgot James!!
  • Like 7

Don't get me wrong this is a great change to the site, i only have one request, the color scheme.. don't know if its my eye sight or the monitor but find it very hard to read things on the site with the white background and the grey txt and light grey background and white txt with the boarders of each post not far off white, Would be cool if we could choose a theme attached to each account so when we log in it changes to the preferred theme for each person, not sure if that's possible. Like the new features added :) 

• Like 1

Who would want to be a site admin? When it was changed to white on black - complaints. Go back to black on white - complaints. Each forum needs a way to stand out so the change in my books is good. Not a huge fan of how it comes on the phone, seems to be a lot of wasted real estate but that's my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Who would want to be a site admin? When it was changed to white on black - complaints. Go back to black on white - complaints. Each forum needs a way to stand out so the change in my books is good.

That attitude was unfashionable in the mid '90's and it's most certainly inappropriate nowadays. Don't volunteer for a job you don't want to do.

In this day and age the user experience is king, so much so that it's considered sacrosanct by all successful internet operators whether they offer a "free" service or not.

Ultimately the users are the most important commodity, no users, no content, no sponsors, no site. To dismiss or disregard user feedback is short sighted, to have never even solicited it before a major change seems quite the oversight in 2016. MySpace had exactly 0 competitive threats this month 10 years ago. Then they stopped listening to their users. History tells us that wasn't a smart thing to do.

I'm give or take on the new software, some nice features but other really annoying ones that hopefully get ironed out over time. And the contrast (or lack thereof) does make isolating elements very difficult.

Providing some warning and, if a test site is impossible, some screenshots to solicit feedback would be considered best practice because it's a practice that's proven to both increase user acceptance and decrease negative feedback upon launch.

Essentially if you take the 'shove it in approach' (which is the site operators right) you're absolutely inviting positive and negative feedback from an established user base. How you deal with that feedback is a good measure of your suitability for the job.

I still support this site, I'm still willing to donate but this type of attitude - "take it or leave it" - is pretty poor form.

Mate I dont think its a shove it approach. Would be nice if you could stop tirading around the site spreading BS. I understand you are the type to create a bee in your bonnet about thing when there is no problem but it really has to stop. Its not healthy aye and just makes you angry for no reason.

James and myself both work in IT. a little known fact for people outside of IT is that winter time in IT is silly season. Me personally I have just finished doing 2 months straight of 90 hour weeks. James is the same. We barely have time and do what we can when we get  moments. Ollie is off running a business but has commited to getting the store up and running. The new software now enables a much better shopping cart and logicistic experience which is cool.

Right with that out of the way, We have a couple of options for skins for the new site. We have been looking at a darker translucent theme and lighter 'work friendly' skin as well. We just need to combine it so we get some common consistancy across the look and feel.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hybrid said:

Mate I dont think its a shove it approach. Would be nice if you could stop tirading around the site spreading BS. I understand you are the type to create a bee in your bonnet about thing when there is no problem but it really has to stop. Its not healthy aye and just makes you angry for no reason.

Missed my point. And I also have a little IT experience, specifically in managing large internet teams and properties. That gives me the experience to know good practice from bad. No BS or malice in my comments above, I stand by them.

10 hours ago, hybrid said:

Right with that out of the way, We have a couple of options for skins for the new site. We have been looking at a darker translucent theme and lighter 'work friendly' skin as well. We just need to combine it so we get some common consistancy across the look and feel.

Good to hear.

Is there a way to edit the underlying code of a post outside the WYSIWYG editor? 

Edited by M3AN
Changed "my" to "by"

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Missed my point. And I also have a little IT experience, specifically in managing large internet teams and properties. That gives me the experience to know good practice from bad. No BS or malice in my comments above, I stand my them.

I get the strong impression you have never worked with a team of volunteers though, Dave. You've only got a soapbox because those guys keep it up and running in their own time and without any remuneration. Yes, they may not please everyone all the time but they want to make it work as well as they can for everyone and as such, are open to feedback, but you can present your feedback with a bit more consideration, I'm sure!

Now I'll get off my soapbox.

PS Change is good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hybrid said:

James and myself both work in IT. a little known fact for people outside of IT is that winter time in IT is silly season. Me personally I have just finished doing 2 months straight of 90 hour weeks. James is the same. We barely have time and do what we can when we get  moments. Ollie is off running a business but has commited to getting the store up and running.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate the hard work you guys do in your 'spare' time to maintain this site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffbebe said:

I get the strong impression you have never worked with a team of volunteers though, Dave. You've only got a soapbox because those guys keep it up and running in their own time and without any remuneration. Yes, they may not please everyone all the time but they want to make it work as well as they can for everyone and as such, are open to feedback, but you can present your feedback with a bit more consideration, I'm sure!

TBH the whole volunteer thing has little to do with best practice but I don't want to perpetuate the discussion - it was the dismissive responses to feedback provided by others that actually got my back up, not the change itself. That seems to have been lost in the noise but it's stale news now.

It was intended as, and I attempted (read: failed?) to frame it as, constructive criticism. I do understand that when you've committed lots of personal time to something it can be difficult to remain objective. Certainly no offence intended and I'll stay out of the discussion from here on in.

--------------

Although this remains important to me: Is there a way to edit the underlying code of a post outside the WYSIWYG editor? 

On 8/3/2016 at 4:54 PM, Gaz said:

Who would want to be a site admin? When it was changed to white on black - complaints. Go back to black on white - complaints. Each forum needs a way to stand out so the change in my books is good. Not a huge fan of how it comes on the phone, seems to be a lot of wasted real estate but that's my opinion. 

Why not both? give us the choice like every other mature forum implementation in the last 10 years...

I get that it's volunteer, and appreciate it. Just that I've seen these sort of step chances drive away a significant number of forum users on other sites, which could have been mitigated with a more feature familiar transition.

30 minutes ago, tawatech said:

Why not both? give us the choice like every other mature forum implementation in the last 10 years...

I get that it's volunteer, and appreciate it. Just that I've seen these sort of step chances drive away a significant number of forum users on other sites, which could have been mitigated with a more feature familiar transition.

Bimmersport survived the last major update just fine, i'm sure it will this time. The admins have already said they are still working on the theme options, but obviously paid work comes first so im sure the little spare time they have they are faithfully working away at it, however they also have to have a life outside of work and bimmersport.

I myself am extremely appreciative of the change, there are a lot of very good features and the "issues" everyone seems to be moaning about are not even remotely unfixable, and indeed with time I can see the crinkles all being ironed out.

I am always thankful for the tireless work of our admins, having seen them struggle through numerous setbacks over the years and never have an outage of more than a day, all the while maintaining their day jobs and dealing with equipment failures and other such dramas associated with hosting a forum. Thanks guys, and keep up the good work!

• Like 1