Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

2015 Audi RS6

I drove from Wellington to Ohakune in an RS6, it's a big heavy beast but my god the engine is special. 0-100 in less than 4 seconds, sure I have done that in a 911 Turbo but not in a family wagon. I have to say at that level of power 4wd is almost mandatory. It made me realise that horsepower is just so addictive.

• Like 2

Absolute power corrupts 

Not driven the fast Audi...

Did have a drive in a 10-year-old Mercedes S65 recently. OMFG... 600hp and limited to 'just' 1000Nm. Sure it's fast (funny, that!), but it's the comfort and the ease with which it drives slowly that made it even more astonishing.

39 minutes ago, handgrenade said:

2015/2016 RS6? v8 twin turbo? Or the older V10 twin? 

4.6 to 100 in the v10

3.9 in the new 4.0L v8

38 minutes ago, HaNs said:

4.6 to 100 in the v10

3.9 in the new 4.0L v8

Love the new tech of the hot v twin turbo system. most euro v8s have incorporated the same tech, bmw's v8, mercedes as well .. all in the 4L range 

The s65 mercedes is a powerhouse! what was that .. a 6.0L v12 biturbo and rwd? Crazy!

36 minutes ago, handgrenade said:

Love the new tech of the hot v twin turbo system. most euro v8s have incorporated the same tech, bmw's v8, mercedes as well .. all in the 4L range 

The s65 mercedes is a powerhouse! what was that .. a 6.0L v12 biturbo and rwd? Crazy!

Closest I've got to a RS6 is the B7 RS4 Avant. 4.2 V8 with an 8000rpm redline.

The S65 is awesome. So easy to drive.
And if you get bored, it's so easy to tune, too. 600hp can become up to 1000hp, but the torque stays limited to 1200Nm to save the drivetrain from destruction. Apparently it can be beefed up to withstand 1600Nm, which the engine is happy to deliver.

34 minutes ago, gjm said:

Closest I've got to a RS6 is the B7 RS4 Avant. 4.2 V8 with an 8000rpm redline.

The S65 is awesome. So easy to drive.
And if you get bored, it's so easy to tune, too. 600hp can become up to 1000hp, but the torque stays limited to 1200Nm to save the drivetrain from destruction. Apparently it can be beefed up to withstand 1600Nm, which the engine is happy to deliver.

The B7 RS4 is a great car!! have been considering one.. the noise from that n/a V8 factory tuned to the edge, factory 6spd manual transmission is the only option. And it is a great looking machine with the huge guards and factory 19" rims or optional 20". 

But it would mean I'd have to lose a car (can't justify 3 cars!) and I can't let go of the M3 or the Evo :( #firstworldproblems

42 minutes ago, E36 325 said:

I drove an Integra with VTEC once.

:D

Just once, though, eh?

3 hours ago, gjm said:

:D

Just once, though, eh?

I actually have never experienced VTEC. I don't feel like I'm missing out 

8 hours ago, handgrenade said:

I actually have never experienced VTEC. I don't feel like I'm missing out 

I have to admit when my mate got a type r integra I was impressed with the power out put and the way it just took off when every thing else was on red line . 

Many years ago now and no where up to the cars that this thread was started about.  

57 minutes ago, 1BMF said:

I have to admit when my mate got a type r integra I was impressed with the power out put and the way it just took off when every thing else was on red line . 

Many years ago now and no where up to the cars that this thread was started about.  

I went down the Mitsubishi MIVEC route instead of VTEC. And I did enjoy running that little 1.6L out to 8200rpm!! Much more linear I believe than VTEC though .. 

Feels a bit like coming out the closet, but... yes I used to own a DC2 Type R.

Didn't own it for long, I found it to be a silly car- quick enough, but you had to drive like a dickhead everywhere to get the VTEC action happening. Comparable in terms of quickness to my old CM5A Lancer GSR, but as the Mitsi got all 12 of it's psi at 3000RPM it was less frantic to drive.

Would like to take an RS6- any RS6!- for a hoon though

RS6 was the new engine 4L TT V8, quicker than the Old V10.

Edited by Herbmiester

Did a comparison between an Audi S4 2006 with the 4.2 V8 and a 2007 335i last week as well. The BMW was hands down quicker and nicer to drive. The S4 was a bit slow to be honest, it did rev nicely and it sounded great. 

9 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Did a comparison between an Audi S4 2006 with the 4.2 V8 and a 2007 335i last week as well. The BMW was hands down quicker and nicer to drive. The S4 was a bit slow to be honest, it did rev nicely and it sounded great. 

Better comparison would be a V6 SC s4 vs the 335?

It's astronomical how much power and torque so many modern cars have, especially considering their common family car uses in many cases. Figures that were once reserved for highly exclusive supercars or racecars 20 years ago.

I think less is more though, for me anyway. I enjoy a road car where you can rev it right out and know it's potential while being sensible on the road. 

• Like 1

thats what made the series one mx5 so much fun, you could beat the death out of it but still be not really endangering anyones lives on public roads. it could be screaming its lungs out on nearly two wheels and still be comfortably inside your lane of the road.later models just got heavier and tamer even tho they had power upgrades. but for long trips to come out feeling fresh you can't beat having some 3.5 ltr+ power on tap,like others have said they actually drive slowly so well its uncanny,hills are just blips and passing idiots is less cumbersome

What gets me now is I have 245bhp v6 and some blooming great 2 story high 4 wheel diesels rangers,toyotas etc seem to pull hills and corner like I'm in a bus

Edited by kwhelan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kwhelan said:

blooming great 2 story high 4 wheel diesels rangers,toyotas etc seem to pull hills and corner like I'm in a bus

Until they suddenly tip over, and roll down the bank, with little warning ;)

I had a Suzuki Cappuccino many years ago... It really was like a go kart B) 725KG (before I got in it!), only 47kw supposedly, but you always had it between 3000 and 6000 rpm for "normal" driving, and 7500 was for normal overtaking - I never got it to the limiter, as the little turbo ran out of breath well before the 9200 initial cut. No power steering, only 67 HP, front engine rear drive. Everything was a compromise, and it was awesome to drive - Not because it did everything well, but because you could feel it doing everything. There was only just enough car to hold the drive train onto the seats, and keep the water off you in the rain.

Also amusing: I could sit in the drivers seat, and reach over the side and touch the rear tyre :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael. said:

It's astronomical how much power and torque so many modern cars have, especially considering their common family car uses in many cases. Figures that were once reserved for highly exclusive supercars or racecars 20 years ago.

I think less is more though, for me anyway. I enjoy a road car where you can rev it right out and know it's potential while being sensible on the road. 

The other problem with a 500+hp family station wagon Is that every time you poke the loud pedal you are In danger of having to hand over your licence !! Not such a problem In the 318is. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

The other problem with a 500+hp family station wagon Is that every time you poke the loud pedal you are In danger of having to hand over your licence !! Not such a problem In the 318is. ;)

I think you can enjoy the power and smoothness without going so fast you loose your license altho I understand your point, the temptation is greater. I guess cops are going to target you because you obviously are rich and therefore an arrogant w@#ker to own a car like that but you run the risk in an old car that cops see you as a hoon in a probably illegal lowered e36

it does make you wonder where its going to stop though, at what point to manufacturers stop trying to outdo each others hp to win sales, you could argue no road car ever needs 500hp so why are they legal on roads at all. Seems odd you make a car, then put electronic speed limiters on it.

Just be grateful your alive now and get to enjoy it. In future when everyones in autodriving electric boxes on heavily legislated public roads like something out of the jetsons you will look back fondly on 2016 as the golden age.

3 hours ago, Allanw said:

I had a Suzuki Cappuccino many years ago... It really was like a go kart B) 725KG (before I got in it!), only

I remember fondly a vauxhall chevette that was dam good fun to thro into corners at ridiculous speeds, well they didnt really go fast but it felt fast, and they were being rallied sucessfully so by association even your mums bog standard car was somehow wondrous when you were 15 and going flat out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwhelan said:

thats what made the series one mx5 so much fun, you could beat the death out of it but still be not really endangering anyones lives on public roads. it could be screaming its lungs out on nearly two wheels and still be comfortably inside your lane of the road.later models just got heavier and tamer even tho they had power upgrades.

The other thing about the early MX-5 was that despite having been caned day in and day out, they didn't break. Look after it, and it looked after you.