Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

E46 M3 Owners Wanted [Auckland]

E46 M3 Owners: 

[Auckland] If you own one of these lovely cars, and are possibly interested in testing the true power output, please flick me a message.

A group of us are getting together to dyno our cars, and would like to open the invitation to other E46 M3 owners. 

More details of time and day to come.   

So far: 

8 E46 M3s on the list.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

E46 M3s Coming/Interested:

Ray - S54 Wagon, Imola HellM3, Carbon M3 CONFIRMED
Amber - Topaz M3 CONFIRMED
Darin - Imola M3 CONFIRMED
Alex - Titan M3 CONFIRMED
Sam C - Titan M3 CONFIRMED
John M - Silver Grey M3
Jayden - Carbon M3 CONFIRMED
Richard/Leigh Carbon (Jet B?) M3
Raymond - Carbon M3 CONFIRMED
Nick - Carbon M3 CONFIRMED
Akanksh - Topaz M3 CONFIRMED
Brent - Carbon M3 CONFIRMED
Neal - Titan M3 CONFIRMED (Wellington Member)

I think this could be the biggest gathering of just E46 M3s in Nz... :ph34r:

Edited by MISS BM

Date has been penciled in for 27th August with 9am start. 

If this works, please message me to confirm. Will be at Torque Performance in Auckland and is $90 for the run. 

Date is now confirmed as the 27th of August.

9am start. Torque Performance, Avondale.
Will get time per run and work out a schedule.

If anyone noted would like to run at a specific time (eg, Wellington Member Neal) please message me.
Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Times :) Run is 30 minutes each. Once you have confirmed time please note that's it locked in :)

9.00: Ray
9.30: Ray
10.00 Alex
10.30: Darin...
11.00: Akanksh
11.30: Jayden
12.00: Sam
12.30: Nick
13.00: Brent
13.30: Neal
14.00: Amber-Leigh

Edited by MISS BM

For those interested in coming along to watch, we will be at Torque Performance in Auckland :) 

will be very interesting to see a series of cars that started out all the same but have had different walks of life over the past 15 years. would be good to log not only the power output put also SMG or normal manual, and also diff ratio if there was variations by year. maybe even log the rear wheel and/or tyre size as well. Ron (3pedals) may have some other useful data inputs also worth recording.

Im in the neighbourhood, heading back to Wellington on Saturday, so may pop in for a nosey at the early sessions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

will be very interesting to see a series of cars that started out all the same but have had different walks of life over the past 15 years. would be good to log not only the power output put also SMG or normal manual, and also diff ratio if there was variations by year. maybe even log the rear wheel and/or tyre size as well. Ron (3pedals) may have some other useful data inputs also worth recording.

Im in the neighbourhood, heading back to Wellington on Saturday, so may pop in for a nosey at the early sessions.

Roller dyno though? Too many variables to make any real conclusion unless the numbers are way different, but if you're trying to differentiate 10-20hp then theres no point on a roller.

why's that, Troy?  is it to do with variability of friction between tyre and roller, or something else?

Just now, Olaf said:

why's that, Troy?  is it to do with variability of friction between tyre and roller, or something else?

Depend how tightly each car is strapped down, tyre pressures, tyre compound, tyre width, tyre deflection as the suspension works and the car squats - all changes the friction. If you're doing multiple back to back runs of the same car the tyres heat up as well.

There is so many variables on a roller dyno that cannot be accounted for that makes them useless for doing comparisons even on the same car

ahhh.  thanks for that!

Will be interesting for mine. Two hub runs and roller this time. 30,000 kms between runs as well

Fairly consistent results from the photo Ray posted to me. Between 180rwkw -200rwkw for stock M3 and 225rwkw for Ray's with airbox and exhaust.

You will not see gains without changing the plumbing on this car period even if you max out on the knock control by turning it off completely.

Ray's one is fairly impressive as that's CSL type power ... I think I've identified why also as that runs a fairly odd software version one I believe might be contributing to the power as this stock software isn't one used for very long on production cars and certainly not available within the dme software versions you see in ISTA.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

IMG_3937.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

• Like 3

I see some of you had over 90 degrees coolant temps, MSS54 knock control and direct correlation with your intake and coolant temps to retarding the ignition will explain a lot of the differences there.

• Like 2

Hybrid , where are you seeing that kind of info ? 

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 9.02.41 PM.png

Whos car is that?? Looks mint.

Those wheels too, look perfect for some reason, 17" over the 18 ones?

Edited by Michael.

8 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Fairly consistent results from the photo Ray posted to me. Between 180rwkw -200rwkw for stock M3 and 225rwkw for Ray's with airbox and exhaust.

You will not see gains without changing the plumbing on this car period even if you max out on the knock control by turning it off completely.

Ray's one is fairly impressive as that's CSL type power ... I think I've identified why also as that runs a fairly odd software version one I believe might be contributing to the power as this stock software isn't one used for very long on production cars and certainly not available within the dme software versions you see in ISTA.

Also running at the beginning of the day when its cooler probably helped too.

10 hours ago, Neal said:

Hybrid , where are you seeing that kind of info ? 

In the disassembly of MDS50 and MSS54/52 ECU code.

The MSS50/52/54 ECUs all have a very advanced knock control system. It has a per cylinder hi and low flag system which allows the ECU to determine the onset of knock and prepare for it. The other variables in the ignition retard equation are IAT and Coolant temps.

There is quite a bit of logic that goes into it which I'm not going to stick on a public forum but it is the reason a lot of you will see wild differences in power.

The S5X engines run quite high compression ratios for a road engine on pump gas and with that comes a close to the edge ignition control system. 

Here is some dyno software I developed for it ... top right is the knock control system read out.

943975_10154047633893982_1092177773734479963_n.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 9.02.41 PM.png

Whos car is that?? Looks mint.

Those wheels too, look perfect for some reason, 17" over the 18 ones?

those are 18" , the smaller option they offered , john's car , he is upgrading to 19" I think.

my run ,  was pretty cool there all day

IMG_7718.MOV

IMG_7720.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

• Like 1

That wagon is cool as! Hope you do another one of these so I can bring mine along would love to see what it has compared to others, how modified is HELLBM's car? Put down a good number