Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

E46 M3 Owners Wanted [Auckland]

19 hours ago, Michael. said:

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 9.02.41 PM.png

Whos car is that?? Looks mint.

Those wheels too, look perfect for some reason, 17" over the 18 ones?

That's mine. It was Tom's (M3_Power) from brand new.

Those are the stock 18's. I have two sets of the stock 18's so I can run a square setup to fill out the front guards a little better, and have a full set of the 19's plus a set of the rears (thanks Brent), so I can run those square if I want too.

• Like 2

Im not happy with the registration label placement but otherwise looks immaculate!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hybrid said:

In the disassembly of MDS50 and MSS54/52 ECU code.

The MSS50/52/54 ECUs all have a very advanced knock control system. It has a per cylinder hi and low flag system which allows the ECU to determine the onset of knock and prepare for it. The other variables in the ignition retard equation are IAT and Coolant temps.

There is quite a bit of logic that goes into it which I'm not going to stick on a public forum but it is the reason a lot of you will see wild differences in power.

The S5X engines run quite high compression ratios for a road engine on pump gas and with that comes a close to the edge ignition control system. 

Here is some dyno software I developed for it ... top right is the knock control system read out.

943975_10154047633893982_1092177773734479963_n.jpg

Quite interesting . I notice the car knocks quite a bit of late ( fourth gear up inclines) Doesn't like the blended Mobil 98 for some reason where it seems to knock even more. I'd largely run it out of the tank on the way to Auckland.

Last dyno day (hub) about 30,000 kms ago saw a result quite a bit higher. That time they where saying the car was on the lean side.

Anyway , enjoyable day and quite a fun 1300km road trip.

Here are my 'secrets'

• 2002, 145km (NZ)
  • 'CSL' software (HellBM+Tom)
  • Simota panel filter (lol)
  • Gull 98
  • Last oil service - Dec 15
  • Red line it every day
  • Amber corners (+10hp)

Untitled.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Quite interesting . I notice the car knocks quite a bit of late ( fourth gear up inclines) Doesn't like the blended Mobil 98 for some reason where it seems to knock even more. I'd largely run it out of the tank on the way to Auckland.

Last dyno day (hub) about 30,000 kms ago saw a result quite a bit higher. That time they where saying the car was on the lean side.

Anyway , enjoyable day and quite a fun 1300km road trip.

Knocking you probably wont be able to tell , pinking you can hear which is when your car is running hot.
3rd and 4th  around 3-4.5k RPM is where knock happens on these engines. The amount of load is actually pretty high because of double vanos lower torque zones.

Running some proper data logging (none of this OBDII crap) would reveal whats going on. 

The ones to look at is the IAT and coolant temps. You may/probably have a defective  thermo stat or clutch fan thats now pants. I would start with the cooling system first and go from there. Happy to log your car if you need to with my software which is the only one in the world doing both native telemetry and the knock control system. BMW software doesn't even poll the ECU for knock values. I think it was put into it for motorsport and factory purposes.

• Like 4

Like to give it a try if that's ok. Have a win 10 32 bit netbook if that's suitable. Notice rattle was less up the Wellington gorge tonight . Better for the trip. Viscos fan replaced about 60,000 kms ago. Car at 122,000 km , cooling system untouched but water / oil gauges reading normal.

The range on water is 78-121c which = dead center. So the gauge is a bit useless.

Your ECU monitors inlet and outlet temps ... if theyre wildy out then there is an issue with your thermostat. You really want your inlet temp to be low as that is what the engine is using for the 'engine temp' scale and ignition retard

• Like 2

A couple more from HELLBM.

Miss BM`s old M3 and my 350000km S54 M Coupe: 212kw & 190kw respectively

Impressed with both especially the M Coupe which in stock form is rated at 325hp against the M3 and its 343hp.

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

• Like 1

Any plans to run another one of these sessions?  Would be keen to jump in.  Cheers.