Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Kiwiplates.nz

I'm not sure who has or hasn't heard the news, but as of midnight last night plates.co.nz has lost the government contract to allocate personalised plates.

Unfortunately that contract has gone to an Australian firm (who say they are kiwi, but are they really?), and the exorbitant prices have largely stayed the same or had pitiful decreases, with several also increasing. This means an upgrade from a standard plate to a europlate now costs $450, up from $399.

I have left a review on their facebook page expressing my displeasure and my hope is that those who agree with me will do the same, its about time we were heard and I believe Facebook has actually become an unbelievably good tool for large groups to express their displeasure with a business.

If you do believe it is a reasonable fee i'm more than happy to hear your arguments, their only argument in response to my review was "but some things are cheaper and there are more options now" and also "lots of the profits go towards road safety initiatives".

I thought our rather generous ACC levies were for funding road safety intiatives?

Edited by huff3r

I don't understand what you are upset about?

If plates are the same or slightly cheaper what is the issue?

11 minutes ago, zero said:

I don't understand what you are upset about?

If plates are the same or slightly cheaper what is the issue?

The new provider was tipped to be cheaper as NZTA selected them based on price. Also plates.co.nz was already a rip-off, and the new provider is no different. It has come up on this forum many times before, how can anyone justify a $410 admin fee for changing plate type from "Standard" to "Euro"? (The plates cost $40 to make).

• Like 1

So you are no worse off than before the change?

And regarding ACC, the levies have come down dramatically in the last couple years.

Just $115 for rego for a year for my e46.

I could understand you being upset if prices rose, but seeing as they have dropped or stayed the same, and the ACC levy has dropped comprehensibly I just don't get it.

Basically I was already frustrated at the costs, and now a new provider has come along bringing hope of a change from the disgusting price-gouging of the past... only to do the same thing. So I am letting them know that I do not appreciate it.

Also motorcycle levies have not changed, and the justification for that was the fact the money is used for safety initiatives.

Basically if the europlate upgrade was $150 they would have $150 from me. Because it is $450 they will never get a cent from me. I'd probably do it to 2 or 3 of my cars if it was affordable too, but at $450 just to get a plate that fits my car correctly and doesn't require extra holes drilled in my bodywork it's just not a justifiable price. I don't have a brand new expensive car or lots of money, all I want is a plate that fits my car without having to sell my kidney.

• Like 4

Nevermind, their FB page has been removed. Couldn't handle the pressure of disappointed Euro lovers.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zero said:

So you are no worse off than before the change?

We were being raped hard. Now we're being raped a little less hard. We're still being raped and that's reason enough to complain.

The government had a perfect opportunity to introduce market prices or competition here for our benefit and they failed us (again).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

We were being raped hard. Now we're being raped a little less hard. We're still being raped and that's reason enough to complain.

Basically, they've swapped which end of the pineapple they use.

• Like 11

Having to use plates from a "approved agent", when there is only a single "approved agent" is a stupid monopoly anyway. I dont understand why we cant use anyone we want (or at least open it up to a few "approved agents") to make the plates as long as they comply with the requirements (font, size, shape, reflective, color etc). The argument is that anyone would then be able to go out and forge a plate, but dammit, that already happens (or people just take the plates from your car).

Ive just tried a combination that I was considering buying on the new Kiwiplates website and its telling me its not allowed.

It was available when i tried it on the old plates.co.nz site. should have bought it when they had the special deal end of last month. bugger..

This combination is unable to be sold

KiwiPlates have guidelines for approving plate combinations and, unfortunately, this plate isn’t allowed. The arrangement of letters and numbers can be inverted to make a new combination. Please try another one!
For tips, click here.

The website also seems to have a glitch whereby it thinks that govt plates with the rego on hold (and some others just randomly) are available. I can buy the plate on my old M3 even though its currently registered.

^ there's been a few discussions about such plates here and people have used them with various levels of success. Everybody agrees they're not legal and that we should avoid excessive promotion of such activities on the forum. Nevertheless I think most people recognise it's hardly the crime of the century and it's simply caveat emptor.

Their facebook page shut down after 55 one star reviews got them on the wrong end of the stick.. 

Any who. They are more expensive - only by a couple hundred, but that's a couple hundred that I don't see justified anywhere?

Does anyone know where to buy in nz the screw caps for number plates? They come in black or white so they blend in nice with the plates.

13 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Does anyone know where to buy in nz the screw caps for number plates? They come in black or white so they blend in nice with the plates.

I'm sure I've got half a dozen somewhere! No promises but what were you looking for? 

12 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Yawn -

Thanks for your input Ron, insightful as always.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

I'm sure I've got half a dozen somewhere! No promises but what were you looking for? 

3x black and 1x white :-)

On 2 August 2016 at 10:47 AM, M3AN said:

The government had a perfect opportunity to introduce market prices or competition here for our benefit and they failed us (again).

Agree with this. 

However I thought we put a filter on the word rape which replaced the word with "VTEC" which was always funny. So yeah, getting VTEC'd pretty hard. 

• Like 4

I think its just unfortunate one company has the monopoly on these, why cant there be 3 or 4 companies to rival each other and make prices fairer.

$200-300 would be realistic for a PP, not ~$1000, that is exorbitant 

• Like 1

it's just a license to print money.  they should license this as their theme tune...

Edited by Olaf