Sign in to follow this  
allan

Style 97

Hi, does anyone have or know of a set of these wheels for sale. Only scene them fitted on the e46 m sport compacts a couple have come up for sale with Turners in the damaged section so here's hoping  They are staggered 17x7.5 fronts,rears 17x 8.5 https://www.dropbox.com/sc/a1nni72sygoj5pc/AAATc0pOitYa1j01yZB2PSgya

Edited by allan

Hi Allan

I'll keep an eye out.  Indeed, they're not too common...  

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/97 

Have you considered joining the style 194 mafia?  They work brilliantly on an e46, and are relatively common...

Have had a look at the 194's close but not really the ti m sport 325 is not your common type so a little rare can only be good (Chuckle 0. The 194 are a bit fatter in the tyre size also and the off set I'm not sure about. Have tried some e46 sedan M sport wheels 255/45  I think on the rear of the ti and I could see they were going to be trouble. The 97's on the front are 7.5 offset 47 tyre 225/45x17 while the rears are 8.5 offset 50 tyre 245/40x17 be interesting.

I'll see if I can email you the calcs/diagrams I sorted out, Allan.  Dunno if the Ti is much different to the standard e46, but I compared stock 7J16's with 205/55 through the Style 68 staggered 7.5/8.5J with 225/45+245/40, up to the style 194 staggered 8/8.5J with 225/45+245/40 (e46 tyre sizing rather than e90) and it all works swimmingly.

Of course if you want to get it as close as possible to a factory Ti, nothing else will do other than a set of 97's. :)

cheers

Edited by Olaf

actually I've misplaced your email addy mate, if you're interested, IM me your email addy.

Try get a set in the shadowed silver look. Never seen another set other than mine done that way but they look a million times better in my opinion than the light flat silver they seem to mostly come in. 

13891862_10153962883525787_171587390369758528_n.jpg

13895172_10153962883560787_4305573818364693733_n.jpg

Thanks guys missed the set Brent had for sale. A listing for another set has just finished on Trademe they were badly curbed in my opinion which raises my next question what sort of money is one looking at to have a set of wheels repaired repainted etc.thanks

Allan, I paid close to $500 incl govt stealing tax for a reasonable quality refinish and full repaint in two-pak, baked etc (not this wheel magician thing).  There was light-medium kerbing on two rims, dust build-up, and evidence of poor repairs.  My requirement was tidy and good, not perfection.

There's aparrently one of the best around near you.  Warren Dixon at Rimrite was recommended to me by a friend I know and trust.  They're in Palmerston North.  I think they'll probably run you (for the same job I got done), more than Rimrite - perhaps he's focussed on great quality.

These are mine:

25769773680_20cc2d45c2_b.jpg

"You really wanted to join the style 194 mafia, didn't you?" on flickr.

HTH

Edited by Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for that have been in touch with Jim think his name was from Rimrite and was told some where from 600 -800 for a set of 4 to be repaired and repainted depending on how bad they are. Have talked to a number of people and they say they are good but very slow their also is someone in            Paraparumu that does them more research to find out who they are etc. They look nice when clean and no curbing how's your search going for another car plus how did you go with that panel beating trip you had under way?

Hi Allan

work/family/community projects have taken much of my attention lately, haven't had opportunity to organise the trip. I shoud be on to that next week.

I can recommend Kelvin at Bridgestone Torrens Terrace for the wheel refurb, he does the much of the prep work, and works in partnership with a nearby spray shop to finish off.  He of course de-mounts and re-mounts/balances.  It's a bit further south than Param, but hey, he's timely and very good to deal with.

Search for another car - slow.  PPI on e90 330i last week saw me thanking the owner for the opportunity; spending a little to save a lot, as it were.  May look at another one soon, or just go e91 325i and move on, freeing up the Volvo to go to a new owner.  At least the e46 is going beaut, best I get off my arse and go wash it.  It's filthy at the moment.

Hi, know what you mean mine is in the same state had to clean the tail lights to make them visible, shame. if I may what made you decide on another beemer and an e90 when after reading a few articles all the faults they a prone to and the level of electronics that go wrong plus making it beyond the average diy' er to fix things on them.

Hi Allan

here's the short-form

• can't afford an X5 at the moment.  (circa $40k is the entry point that makes sense to me).
  • e60's sound largely disasterous (would be a better option than X5, otherwise), though a 530d is tempting
  • can't afford an F10 5 series ($30-40k)
  • time to move to a newer (read more expensive) car as this one has depreciated to the point where the tax advantage is gone.
  • at this rate it'll be a bloody VW Passat or Skoda diesel wagon!
  • So with that in mind, an e90 or e91 is now beginning to make sense.
  • Still shying away from the 335i for the extra complexity

e90 325 or 330 - has an electric water pump, and (usually) active steering.  Better trans than e46.  Other than that, not much worse than the e46, overall.  Same leaks, same need for trans service, same need for suspension updates.   It'll be a 2 year car for me, my son will outgrow it, then it's on to a (more affordable) F10 or X5, I guess.

haven't been able to think of a BMW around $14-18k that is fun to drive, isn't a massive repair liability, and gets better than 10l/100kms.

cheers!

or perhaps it'll be a Holden Commode?

You should consider my 325i E91. Its certainly in the right price category :)

• Like 1

Thanks Kyu  interested and checking them out they are badly curbed two tyres need to be replaced and quoted 600-800 approx to have them refurbished.

I actually think my friend has a set of these on a 318ti he is selling on behalf of his mum. Probably better condition. Might ask and see if he wants to sell them separately and I can hook him up with a different set of wheels for the compact to sell. pm me your number and I will be in touch.

• Like 1