Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

e46 325i Touring - broken rear spring. options

Dear all

My 2002 e46 325i Touring has been with me for more than 4 years now.  During this time - focussing on suspension department - it has had the following:

112000kms Bog stock, non M-sport, 16 inch rims on 205/55/16.  got rid of the crappy JDM tyres and went to Toyo Proxes4.

1. 125,000kms - replaced front LCR bushes, LCRs, Endlinks with Meyle HD.

2.  150,000kms replaced front and rear shocks with OEM Sachs standard, strut bearings, bushes (ARB and others), tie rods.  Better.  

3.  Found it a bit pogo-like (trying to stay with the e38 mafia on a twisty road), did lots of research, ended up with a staggered set of Style 194's (refurbished) with 225/45/17 and 245/40/17s.  Improved, but a little tilty.

4.  Added MSport ARBs front and rear (24mm and 20mm).  Replaced ARB bushes again. And had the rear trailing arm busges replaced with Meyle HD and some poly edge bushes to stop articulation.  Ahhhh, much better.  Still rides comfortably, holds line better, grip vastly improved.  BUT

A small clunk coming from the rear.   Long story short:  inspection by Page European yesterday, found broken LH rear spring.  

SO:  Options.  

1.  Find the right touring spring, and replace OEM.   

2. Get a set of Motorsport Touring Springs.  Upside is better match to my wheels and ARBs, slightly lower, should be a little stiffer without getting crashy.  Downside is that it'll cost more, and more importantly - the valving of my OEM shocks won't ideally match the MSport springs.  Still prolly better than worn-out springs.

3.  Get some Eibachs.  Hmmm.  A little low for Family touring duties I think.  

4.  Get some H&Rs - no, I've read they're just too hard for daily commute (80kms or thereabouts per day at the mo).

5.  Coilovers?  No, not interested - it's not a racecar, doesn't have to be "super low".

7.  Get Konis, Bilsteins, or replace your current shocks with MSport shocks?  No thanks, I don't want to take out those rear shocks again, there's a huge amoiunt of interior Lego to deal with, and hate spending twice.

What do you think?

Glenn - appreciate your thoughts

Brent - what do you have in stock for my e46 325i Touring 325i?

John - what do you think?  do you still have those Eibachs?

Ron - what do you think?

Thanks in advance guys.  It would be awesome if I could get this sorted before next weekend...

Olaf.

I would go msport springs, as it sounds like you still want a comfortable ride.

Just buy them second hand.

My 2cents.

yes can do . msport would be the way to go

thanks Brent, I'll give you a shout.

Yes go M sport springs from Brent. Eibach long gone my friend. 

• Like 1