Sign in to follow this  
smudger

E36 M3 tyre suggestions ?

My M3 convertible has worn one of the rear tyres through to the steel on the inside edge so i need one, probably 2 new tyres, it currently has directional Goodyear Eagle F1s on the back ( and the spare which the tyre guy is trying to fix the leak on ! ) and Nankangs on the front. What are current good choices or preferred tyres thanks ? 235/40/zr17 all round

Edited by smudger

I have RE003's on my cars and love them. Have really good grip in the wet and dry, reasonably priced, not to loud. For the street I don't need anymore tyre. 

1 hour ago, BatMansWilly said:

I have RE003's on my cars and love them. Have really good grip in the wet and dry, reasonably priced, not to loud. For the street I don't need anymore tyre. 

agreed on re003 and they have a buy one get 2nd at half price deal so got two for $500ish

Not a tyre expert in the slightest. My M3 came with Falken FK453s, had car 6mths and they appear to be standing up well, car is used as a daily driver, I will be replacing like for like when the time comes (depending on cost). Paul

re003s don't appear to be available in the right size

26 minutes ago, smudger said:

re003s don't appear to be available in the right size

They make them in a 235/45/17 could you make that work?. I would imagine a 235/40/17 is quite hard to find in a good tyre?

Not a lot of choices no oddly. There are a few Eagle F1s around still so thats a maybe as they are on the back at present but/and are the ones that need changing. There are a few other choices, the Falken 453's or 452's, the  Toyo T1R Proxes or the Nexen NFera SU1, Maxxis MAZ3 i dont know too much about - . The 235/45/17 is too big a jump i believe thanks.

Edited by smudger

On 8/8/2016 at 7:50 PM, BatMansWilly said:

They make them in a 235/45/17 could you make that work?. I would imagine a 235/40/17 is quite hard to find in a good tyre?

That is an NZ market issue, not that good tyres don't existing in that size, just not that many cars in NZ that require them Vs the common 235/45's found on every commodore & falcon since the early 2000's.

Is your M3 running the 7.5" rims on all for corners?
If you can't get the tyres you want (prices) and don't want to import some yourself (tirerack), then a 225/45 might be a compromise to consider also being a factory supplied size for the E36 on 7.5" rims.

Hankook do S1 EVO 2's in that size but as above. Id swap out all the tyres for a more common size if you are keeping the car.  

• Like 2

A commonly discussed topic and there's some good info in recent threads. I'm not going to weigh in much here because the answer to your question is subjective and there's no correct answer.

I use F1 Asymmetrical 2's on the rear and F1 Directional 5's on the front and am very happy with the combination but my sizes, on 18's aren't relevant to your application.

FWIW Beaurepaires currently have Michelin's on special for 15% off a set of 4 (until 03/09) which may actually make them price competitive with other suppliers but I've not checked that out. They also offer road-hazard insurance for around $9 a corner which isn't that bad. Not a recommendation, just letting you know.

As far as I can tell they only exist in Infinity from my stockers which you do not want....

I've hit this issue repeatedly in the past, classic bmw size that is no longer being stocked in NZ due to poor demand.

I have a mate who had a 328 coupe with Evo2 rims staggered 215/45/17 and 225/45/17 which worked well.

I have 17x8 on my e36 with 225/45/17s and they fit perfectly.

To give you a ball park figure you'd be looking at $220ea incl gst in Michelin Pilot Sport 3 the 225/45/17s, $210 for the 215's.

Yes if you have 8.5 rims run a 245 40 17, Tyre choice is up to you but like many others I am having a good run with the Re 003's