Sign in to follow this  
russellc2

E39 2 button key - IR Sender

Hi all,

It looks like the infrared sender in my 99 model E39 2 button key remote is dead (tested with digital camera with new batteries & no go)

The led on the key is working fine and the EWS chip is fine as the car starts no problem.

Does anyone know if you can swap the IR sender / rest of the internals from a working key over to my dead one (with the EWS chip as well of course to match my car)

Not too keen on $450+ for new key from dealer if there is a way around it.

Cheers,

Russell

No, that's my next question :) does anyone have an old 2 button IR key from an E39 or maybe late E36 / early E46 lying around from a wrecked car?

No, I'll try and transfer internals over to my key / blade so doesn't need to be a blank. Just a working infrared sender is all I need. Cheers

Hi Russell,

- just be careful before you right off your IR key fob, the digital camera test is not a 100% accurate of checking if the IR transmitter is working. ( of course it maybe stuffed too ). in particularly newer cameras filter IR, so you won't always see it working..

have you tried re-syncing it with the car..? there is a very specific procedure and must be done in the right conditions.. - i.e. out of the sunlight or other IR sources>..

if the battery is out for more than 30sec(from memory) or goes flat it will need to be re-synced.

If you are 100% sure its no good, I have an old key you can have...

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Dean, thanks for the info - I didn't realise newer cameras (I used an iPhone 6) filtered IR...

I had an auto locksmith try re-syncing with the car, I've got a copy of the exact process he used. I have changed the 2x CR2016 since then (did the battery swap in under 30 sec's after reading about what you mentioned) but haven't had any luck with a re-sync since then. I'll give it another whirl tonight and let you know. Thanks!

ok the plot thickens.. Re-tested the IR functions on both lock and unlock using the front (not rear facing) camera on my iPhone 6 as well as a known working remote in my house and they are all functioning fine :)

So it looks like the IR sender is not at fault. Ran through the steps provided by Glenn in the post you sent through about 4 or 5 times and still no joy. I get the red LED on key flashing whether I hit the round lock button 3 or 4 times (tried both methods) but it still doesn't activate the central door locking. I've double checked fuse 53 in the boot is still fine too...

I found another article that mentions doing something in DIS around the radio / IR functions but I wasn't sure which menu that was under so gave up!

Cracked it! One step in Glenn's instructions wasn't quite right. His step 2 says wait for 5 seconds, other instructions I found said it needs to be done quickly (key in, onto position 2 / ignition on, then off & remove in under 5 seconds) this did the trick for me.

For anyone else with same issue, try this:

1. Get in and close all doors
2. Turn the ignition on &off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process.
Next action must take place within 30 seconds
3. First key -hold down button #2 (unlock -on the bottom left with the key blade pointing up) while striking button #1 (lock -~he BMW logo) three times. Release button #2. This should be confirmed by door lock operation.
4. If you have more than 1 key then you need to repeat for the other keys within 30 seconds of first or they will be rendered inactive.
5. After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (it is not
necessary to start the engine).

• Like 1

If all else fails MillAnd brought me in a genuine key from Germany, took less than 2 weeks from payment to delivery and came to about $260 inc GST. Far cheaper than the Stealership and only a couple of days slower

• Like 1