Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

Cringe From The Dark Side

Some people....

This guy, Rare, Top of the range 230E (lol), . Actually it's common as, bottom of the range and MB Tex (vinyl) not leather. Some one has put a Sportline steering wheel on it though, but no mention.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-1141232072.htm

Take one C126 500sec and call it a "Terminator" 500SEC..... with extra badges "licensed by Mercedes-Benz". More like someone went badge shopping on eBay and tried to cover as much space as possible. Would be a nice car if all the extra badges and plate were removed.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-1141082704.htm

I don't know why I let TM ad's annoy the sh*t out of me, but some people are just clueless.

• Like 4

It's also an auto, despite being listed as a manual!

"Licensed by Mercedes-Benz" made me laugh, maybe he's trying to say the model letters and numbers are off an actual Mercedes. At least its easily fixed but seems a bit overpriced to me. 

The W124 is a nice car. It's actually a pity it has electric seats and a sunroof - at this level they're more desirable with less spec. Less to go wrong or leak. Looks like a nice car... Just ignore the description!

The W126 could be nice but yup - appearances ruined by bling.

Dunno if it still up on TM but there was a rusty 500SEC "AMG". The seller said you could tell it was an AMG because the VIN ended in a zero... How I laughed. And laughed... It did have a set of Pentas on it but the car itself would have needed serious work. And it wasn't an AMG.

3 hours ago, gjm said:

Dunno if it still up on TM but there was a rusty 500SEC "AMG". The seller said you could tell it was an AMG because the VIN ended in a zero... How I laughed. And laughed... It did have a set of Pentas on it but the car itself would have needed serious work. And it wasn't an AMG.

Yeah... but was it a 5000 SEC CESL??? That sounds pretty rare to me!

Or should that be rear??

A simple bit of research would have led to amg hammer. Fav car with that badge on it.

Edited by Neal

4 hours ago, gjm said:

The W124 is a nice car. It's actually a pity it has electric seats and a sunroof - at this level they're more desirable with less spec. Less to go wrong or leak. Looks like a nice car... Just ignore the description!

The W126 could be nice but yup - appearances ruined by bling.

My s124 320 has 336k on it,  everything works.  Heated and electric seats etc, love it.  But I could see the appeal of basic everything I guess.  It's amazing the amount of people that slap an amg badge on and think yep that's it,  done. 

Dkubus is bringing some 3pc pentas to the market soon. 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

A simple bit of research would have led to amg hammer. Fav car with that badge on it.

Amg was 124 based,  what badge do you mean?  Surprised we don't see more cars on there "same as hammer but rearar" 

Every Merc is top of the line if you own one.

Biggest and worst ego massaging cars there are :P 

(aside from a C63 or CLK63) 

Just what is an "ego massaging car", which manufacturers provided this option, and who is the arbiter of best to worst?

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

Every Merc is top of the line if you own one.

Biggest and worst ego massaging cars there are :P 

(aside from a C63 or CLK63) 

To be frank mine was actually top of the line albeit ~20 yrs ago.

Every euro seems to be 'ego massaging' to some. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Just what is an "ego massaging car", which manufacturers provided this option, and who is the arbiter of best to worst?

Its when the brand badge or name convinces the owner their car is superior to other cars even if its the low rent 2.0L model.

ie: anyone with a 4 cylinder Mercedes or BMW. These are supposed to be 6, 8, 12 cylinder cars in their proper spec, not the cut price, quality cutting low end models. 

18 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Its when the brand badge or name convinces the owner their car is superior to other cars even if its the low rent 2.0L model.

ie: anyone with a 4 cylinder Mercedes or BMW. These are supposed to be 6, 8, 12 cylinder cars in their proper spec, not the cut price, quality cutting low end models. 

I disagree completely. A 4 cylinder BMW is not necessarily cut price or low quality. It's not like a Toyota where the lower spec models don't get anywhere near the features of the higher spec. E.g. a 318i can be specced out exactly the same as a 328i, but just with a smaller engine.

Low end is not the motor, but the trim. I love my 4 cyl BMWs for the economy, but without the cut price low quality Toyota-esque ride, handling, and NVH!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, huff3r said:

I disagree completely. A 4 cylinder BMW is not necessarily cut price or low quality. It's not like a Toyota where the lower spec models don't get anywhere near the features of the higher spec. E.g. a 318i can be specced out exactly the same as a 328i, but just with a smaller engine.

Low end is not the motor, but the trim. I love my 4 cyl BMWs for the economy, but without the cut price low quality Toyota-esque ride, handling, and NVH!

Tell someone with an E30 M3, 190E-2.5 or similar that their car is lesser than something with a bigger engine! However, I do understand the sentiment. A 518i is hardly representative of what BMW were trying to achieve.

Of course, manufacturers now muddy the waters by using the exact same engine in a variety of model levels, tweaking the ECU to produce more performance.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, huff3r said:

We can agree to disagree

Its all about the engine, if you think you're getting the same car with a 318i vs 330i, then you clearly don't understand the substantial difference between the cars.

The character, sound, drivability and performance are less with the small engined cheaper model. 

With the smaller engine cars the trim is also lower quality, you're not getting 5 or 7 series quality in a 318i, lower grade leather (if fitted), more simple trim fixings, the list goes on. 

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

We can agree to disagree

Its all about the engine, if you think you're getting the same car with a 318i vs 330i, then you clearly don't understand the substantial difference between the cars.

The character, sound, drivability and performance are less with the small engined cheaper model. 

With the smaller engine cars the trim is also lower quality, you're not getting 5 or 7 series quality in a 318i, lower grade leather (if fitted), more simple trim fixings, the list goes on. 

The engine has nothing to do with the quality, and I didn't say you are getting the same car. My point is you are not getting low rent crap with a 4 cyl BMW, you still get the ride quality, the handling, the reduced NVH that makes them a luxury car. And the leather is not low grade, the options list is the same regardless of the engine size. Yes in some markets, and some trim levels the smaller motors get lower quality specifications, but the options are still there.

It sounds like your experience with 4 cylinder BMWs is extremely limited, they are massively under appreciated. I would hate to do a 500km trip in ANY toyota/nissan/honda hatchback, my back would be dead and my ears ringing by the end, however my little 316i handles it quietly, comfortably, and I am pain free. You simply don't get that in a true "low end, poor quality" car.

I have done such a trip in both options several times, and will not do it in a cheap city hatchback again if I can help it.

Oh and the little 316i matches the fuel economy of the others too, and still a spirited ride if you know how to drive it, with the ability to use ALL the available power safely and within the speed limit, making it arguably more fun.

Also, I thought this was a BMW forum? Where we come together to celebrate all things BMW, not to bag on 4 cyl owners, or any other BMW owner because "it's not a proper BMW, it should have a 6, 8 or 12".

Edited by huff3r
  • Like 3

Take the badges, ridiculous antenna on the boot and you've got a pretty ballsy SEC there. Those cars are classics now, price won't go down.

3 hours ago, huff3r said:

The engine has nothing to do with the quality, and I didn't say you are getting the same car. My point is you are not getting low rent crap with a 4 cyl BMW, you still get the ride quality, the handling, the reduced NVH that makes them a luxury car. And the leather is not low grade, the options list is the same regardless of the engine size. Yes in some markets, and some trim levels the smaller motors get lower quality specifications, but the options are still there.

It sounds like your experience with 4 cylinder BMWs is extremely limited, they are massively under appreciated. I would hate to do a 500km trip in ANY toyota/nissan/honda hatchback, my back would be dead and my ears ringing by the end, however my little 316i handles it quietly, comfortably, and I am pain free. You simply don't get that in a true "low end, poor quality" car.

I have done such a trip in both options several times, and will not do it in a cheap city hatchback again if I can help it.

Oh and the little 316i matches the fuel economy of the others too, and still a spirited ride if you know how to drive it, with the ability to use ALL the available power safely and within the speed limit, making it arguably more fun.

Also, I thought this was a BMW forum? Where we come together to celebrate all things BMW, not to bag on 4 cyl owners, or any other BMW owner because "it's not a proper BMW, it should have a 6, 8 or 12".

Oh my me.

Clearly you like your 4 cylinder BMWs and are very passionate about them.

All credit to you!

1 minute ago, Michael. said:

Oh my me.

Clearly you like your 4 cylinder BMWs and are very passionate about them.

All credit to you!

I like all BMWs based on their individual merits, and I am able to see merit in (almost) all of them!

• Like 1

yep, I fully understand the view that a 4cyl BMW is missing two cylinders!  However, the balance of the 4cyl 3ers is sublime, and it becomes clear that the quality is in the package - chassis and engineering - not just the engine and drivetrain.

The snobbery is clear here.  For every Euro driver convinced their car is better (because it's European) added to the straw man argument, there's another who appreciates the quality engineering (of their Euro) that is not existent in mass-market Asian cars, and doesn't mind paying for it.

I'll choose a 4CYL BMW if I can't afford a 6 or 8, in preference to driving a Corolla.  Because it's well engineered, RWD, handles well, and is strong.  I will not risk my family in a Corolla or other mass-market shoebox.  I've seen too many of them (small Japanese or Korean hatchbacks) demolished on the side of the road as a result of a sunday afternoon RTA, meatwagon and Fire Service in attendance.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Olaf said:

yep, I fully understand the view that a 4cyl BMW is missing two cylinders!  However, the balance of the 4cyl 3ers is sublime, and it becomes clear that the quality is in the package - chassis and engineering - not just the engine and drivetrain.

The snobbery is clear here.  For every Euro driver convinced their car is better (because it's European) added to the straw man argument, there's another who appreciates the quality engineering (of their Euro) that is not existent in mass-market Asian cars, and doesn't mind paying for it.

I'll choose a 4CYL BMW if I can't afford a 6 or 8, in preference to driving a Corolla.  Because it's well engineered, RWD, handles well, and is strong.  I will not risk my family in a Corolla or other mass-market shoebox.  I've seen too many of them (small Japanese or Korean hatchbacks) demolished on the side of the road as a result of a sunday afternoon RTA, meatwagon and Fire Service in attendance.

Very much so.

I guess you could call it snobbery, but I too believe it's more of an understanding/appreciation of the engineering and quality. At the end of the day a Chinese watch will tell you the time, but is it a Rolex?

i don't see any problems with 4cyl BMW's/Mercedes etc, generally the package comes down to the region it was marketed for and the options ticked. Obviously your'e not getting the full experience that you would in the 6+ cyl car, but you still get the brands quality that most of the time cannot be found in Japanese 4cyls. 

• Like 2