Sign in to follow this  
BMWX5UK

Getting UK Connected Drive working in NZ F31 3 Series

Hi, I have a  new F31 2016 BMW 3 Series on the way to NZ, it has BMW Professional Navigation, internet, apps all that stuff.

We did the same a few years ago with a BMW X5, and we purchased the maps from some company in Auckland who sent us a DVD, but I cant find or remember what the name of that company was. Anyone know whos best to take the car too in Auckland to sort out getting the connected drive/maps etc all working? I know I can go to a BMW Dealer to get the maps, but those guys charge like a bull.

Also, regarded the connected drive apps etc, I know the built in sim will work  in NZ, but I haven't updated the BMW connected drive website with my new owner details just yet, I think it needs a code to go to the car or something, when I had a look online it let me selected the original location of the vehicle, and also the location of where I physically am, then gave a warning about some apps wont work etc etc, so I pressed cancel.

Anyone know what the story is with all that?. ie if I go through the connected drive process and select NZ, will it work as if it was a NZ car?,  or does something bad happen!. Its very difficult to try and access BMW UK website from NZ as it keeps auto redirecting back to the NZ site

Cheers for any help!.

There's a company called Auto Gravity on Dominion Rd that does this as far as I'm aware. Unsure of services or prices offered or quality of service but it would be worth looking into?

I will be doing something similar with a cic e91 in a couple months so let me know how you go.

Hi Clive, if you want to avoid the redirect to NZ, you can use a proxy service such as www.unblockUS.com  it allows you to select the country you want to appear as using a simple drop down box. I use it for watching UK content.   Hope that helps.

PS.  Nice challenge you have!  As a matter of interest, what sort of money are you saving by buying new from abroad?  And have you found any issues with servicing your X5 here?  I guess there's no 'new car warranty'?  Interested in your thoughts/experiences.  I take it you've found it worthwhile as you're doing a second...

regards

Edited by Olaf

Converting the maps can be done via the dealer for about $750. 

Connected drive options are different between each country based on the laws in each country so dont think anything bad will happen. You wont be able to set it up until the vehicle is here as you do need a code from the vehicle itself. 

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, Andre3000 said:

There's a company called Auto Gravity on Dominion Rd that does this as far as I'm aware. Unsure of services or prices offered or quality of service but it would be worth looking into?

I will be doing something similar with a cic e91 in a couple months so let me know how you go.

Thanks, Ill give them a call tomorrow. will let you know how I get on.

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hi Clive, if you want to avoid the redirect to NZ, you can use a proxy service such as www.unblockUS.com  it allows you to select the country you want to appear as using a simple drop down box. I use it for watching UK content.   Hope that helps.

PS.  Nice challenge you have!  As a matter of interest, what sort of money are you saving by buying new from abroad?  And have you found any issues with servicing your X5 here?  I guess there's no 'new car warranty'?  Interested in your thoughts/experiences.  I take it you've found it worthwhile as you're doing a second...

regards

Yep, no issues , there is a 2 year BMW Worldwide warranty that applies in NZ, we always serviced at main dealer, gets all recall's done for free, haven't had any issues with it being a UK car. We also purchased a 3 year mechanical breakdown policy from AA, but car has been faultless, done 110,000kms on it now.

Its easier that you think, I don't even go through any sort of broker, just direct from a dealership in the UK.

There is substantial savings buying from the UK, especially with the exchange rate at the moment, as long as you buy VAT Qual in the UK (Which means you can only get new, ex demo, or pre reg) so you can claim 20% UK VAT back,

wow.  thanks for sharing.  Not bankrolled enough to be looking at a new BM, though one can hope!  You'll be looking forward to your 335D arriving, no doubt.  #8 )

On 8/14/2016 at 7:15 PM, BMWX5UK said:

Thanks, Ill give them a call tomorrow. will let you know how I get on.

Sorry to dredge up an old post.

I am in the same situation (imported F31 from UK, now with kph speedo / nz maps) - wondering whether it is possible to get connecteddrive working here?

Contact your local dealer as they will need to transfer it to nz connected drive network. Maybe a small charge. 

• Like 1