Sign in to follow this  
MrDevine

2003 E39 Sports Seats – Non electric lumbar fix

So, I've only had the 540i for a few days, and have noticed that BMW didn't get the design right on the lumbar 'support' in their sports seats. When test driving the car I thought hmm that feels a little uncomfortable, however surely there is a lumbar adjustment? 

Whilst fiddling around the the 12 way electric sports seat after delivery, I eventually discover there is no lumbar adjustment. This was a problem as the seat was super uncomfortable and pinching my lower back.

Anyway after searching the net I found this DIY hack which retracts the lumbar spring to the seat by cable ties, conveniently there are 3 x holes a 4mm cable tie can be threaded through.

HACK

1. Remove 2 x Torx bolts at bottom of the hard seat back (you'll need a T30)

2. Seat back will slide down

3. Thread cable ties through holes (see image)

4. Slide seat back up into position (on the 2003 there are 3 x clips which have their own guide)

5. Insert Torx bolts and you're done.

++

MUCH more comfortable, now I just hope those seams aren't a problem. Kinda stupid to have stitching running down the middle of the lower back portion of the seat.

Hopefully useful for someone.

Ace, Mr D

IMG_1623.JPG

Edited by MrDevine
spelling

Get your self some Contour seats B) mega rare in NZ, though they were sometimes specced in SIngapore E38 7 series cars.

The support of a sport seat, but the comfort of the Comfort seats!

I'd take the Contours, if I could get some, but otherwise the Comforts are for me - the sports aren't comfy enough, and the standard seats are just ordinary. For me anyway - others opinions will vary, dependent especially on the size of their arses/waists :lol:

my sports seats in my e34(no lumbar adjustement) were the most comfortable seats i have ever had in a car ,easlily!

• Like 1

The e39 I owned had what was called comfort seats these had electric operated lumbar supports along with all the other adjustments very nice on a long drive. Upon researching I found a standard and sport seat were also available but not with adjustable lumbar support. Depends on what box's were ticked when first ordered no doubt Their might be a D.I.Y that could be done to fit them if required.

• Like 1

Chez replies - think I've found a sweet spot setting, I don't think a lumbar retrofit would be the answer. The hack works good - but I'll keep an eye out for sports contours :-)