Sign in to follow this  
User Name

Steel Pipe Bender (manwatu or wellington)

Hi Guys,

If anyone has a steel pipe bender (50mm) that i could borrow it would save me from buying one you would be a life saver.

I can put down a deposit as i really only need it for about a day to finish my turbo headers.

PM or update post 

do you want a pibe bender or a tube bender. 

pipe benders crimp and crush the pipe unless you pack the tube with sand. 

How many bends are you doing? Pipe benders have a huge radius. And 2 inch is pretty big. 

Can't use sch40 elbows?

Thanks for quick response everyone.

I was unaware that the pipe benders can crush and crimp without filling with sand but makes sense.

I was only more inclined to use a pipe bender so i could make each individual extractor one clean pipe instead of welding a bunch of elbows and straight pipe (also given i have to put a pipe under the engine mount from turbo) figured a pipe bender was cheaper option in long run.

As you can see i am limited on space, i am making adjustments to the two rear ones as they can come out further but sure you get idea.(3rd mock up so far - had to change from top to bottom mount turbo)

So options are: (as already have 6m 1.5" sch40)

12T Pipe bender for $185 or  $110 for 6 x 90* elbows + 6 x 45* elbows + another cutting disk as they don't survive long haha

I would love both but don't have that cash at the moment, comments are welcome good or bad :)

IMAG0911.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

Mike Christy does some nice work with their CNC tube bender, mandrel bends etc; good pricing for the stuff we get through em for work. Be at least a few hundy for this though I'd expect.

Bender is a recipe for headaches on these tight sort of bend imo, go with the elbows and welder.

Given your tight constraints I'd be looking at a 'log' type manifold and use 1.5" sch40 bends.
Don't waste your $ on the 45°'s when you can get 2 of them out of a 90° bend.

Re: Cutting discs, buy bulk it saves a heap of $$.
I've always used 'Smith and Arrow'
For a box of 25 115x1.0mm discs it is ~$20