Sign in to follow this  
Goffy

do i need to replace rotors when changing disc pads?

Greetings guys just a quick question: i have taken by 330I to Jeff Gray for an air bag replacement and they mentioned the brake pads and rotors will need to be replaced in the not too distant future. My question is do both rotors and pads need to be replaced normally? i did feel a slight lip on the outer edge of the disc but in other cars you had tollerances for getting the discs machined.

can anyone advise please?

Thanks for your help!

Goffy

No you don't need to replace both the disc has a minimum thickness stamped on them most of the time. AS long as they stay above this you will be fine to get them skimmed

The rotors don't need to be skimmed unless they're somehow damaged. If they are above the minimum thickness then just change the pads and break them in properly.

Rotors work fine well below minimum thickness as well, unless you take it on the track regularly or drive everywhere flat out like a rally driver!

If you do it yourself you can save a considerable amount of money

Thanks very much guys this is really helpful! i shall remove them and have a look. In terms of buying pads and rotors i found a site http://www.bimmerzone.com/  that look good and http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0304_catalog.htm  . Anyone have any recommendations for a good place to buy parts for my E46 or are they pretty good?

thanks for your help guys!

FCPEuro are good if you're buying internationally, I found their shipping rates better than others when I've been browsing.

They also have an excellent reputation.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/

• Like 1

+1 for FCP and also schmiedmann.com is excellent. 

Also check out our site sponsors also, many offer a discount for members. 

16 hours ago, Goffy said:

Thanks very much guys this is really helpful! i shall remove them and have a look. In terms of buying pads and rotors i found a site http://www.bimmerzone.com/  that look good and http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0304_catalog.htm  . Anyone have any recommendations for a good place to buy parts for my E46 or are they pretty good?

thanks for your help guys!

PM me the last 7 of your vin number and I'll get you a price on discs and pads locally, have sources with brembo, roadhouse etc. Could probably price you a whole set of discs cheaper than you can get one disc into NZ from the US....

I bought my rotors from FCP for my e46 325i - I went for BMW Slotted Brake Rotor Front Right - Stop Tech 126.34048SR and BMW Slotted Brake Rotor Front Left - Stop Tech 126.34048SL - (as well as the rears), I think they're pretty good.  They're wearing fine.  I did the rears at the same time.  If you end up doing the rears, you may find your handbrake shoes need doing as well.

I think your 330i uses larger rotors so you're looking at the equivalents Stop Tech Right and Stop Tech Left.  You could go for the Zimmerman cross-drilled.... or just go for Bosch or Meyle for OEM style.    I think John bought in some from Oz-trucken-falia that were similar to my Stop Techs.  You could try the local suppliers for their options, you'll get them fast and you may find some reasonable prices.

I also bought Akebono Euro Ceramic pads.  They offer good modulation and plenty of meat - when they're warm - and they keep your rims clean.  The downside is that they lack the initial bite - particularly when cold - of factory pads.  You might consider other pads.  Do some research.

9863350844_5cc218ed0c_c.jpg

Doing it in the rear - my e46 3 years ago (hosted on flickr)

You'll also need brake pad sensor (there's just one on the front, one on the rear) - these shouldn't cost more than ten bucks a piece. And consider caliper slider pins and boots, and some ATE silicon brake grease.  

Search around on youtube for how to reset the brake pad warning light on the dash, once you've done the job.

Oh, and I agree with Ron; if you're in to skimming discs, you might as well be replacing them. 

Read up on correct break-in procedures.  

And if your car hasn't had the brake fluid replaced in the last two years, you should consider having this replaced as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Olaf
handbrake

On 8/20/2016 at 1:17 PM, Andre3000 said:

PM me the last 7 of your vin number and I'll get you a price on discs and pads locally, have sources with brembo, roadhouse etc. Could probably price you a whole set of discs cheaper than you can get one disc into NZ from the US....

fantastic Andre i have had a look under the bonnet and it isnt there. must be in boot with the battery, will get back to you cheers

Just now, Goffy said:

fantastic Andre i have had a look under the bonnet and it isnt there. must be in boot with the battery, will get back to you cheers

Usually on the strut tower. Stick your reg into carjam.com if you cant be assed fishing around.

1 minute ago, Andre3000 said:

Usually on the strut tower. Stick your reg into carjam.com if you cant be assed fishing around.

Thanks Andre last 7 digits  NF00005  cheers

56 minutes ago, Goffy said:

...NF00005...

Wow.