Sign in to follow this  
baz

Correct octane fuel for 1 series 120i japanese import in NZ

Hi guys,

I know this has been asked many times before on the interwebs, but I just want to make sure I'm running the correct fuel here in NZ. Just bought a used 120i which was originally a Japanese import.

The only owners manual I was able to find online is U.S.A. and doesn't cover this model (does anyone know where I can get a NZ 120i owners manual pdf?)

In the U.S. manual it says:

AKI 91 (RON 95) is highly recommended.

You may also use gosoline with less AKI. The minimum AKI Rating is:
    - 128i: AKI 87 (RON 91)
    - 135i: AKI 89 (RON 93)

Is the same model car tuned to use the same octane worldwide? i.e. RON 95 here in New Zealand. Or would it by any chance have been tuned differently for Japan?

The guy I bought it off told me he had been using RON 91 while he owned it - which is why I'm confused.

Thanks,
Barry.

use 95 if not 98. doesnt cost much more than 91 and you probably will get better fuel economy anyway so it pays for itself

• Like 2

American octane ratings are not the same as NZ , use 98, it should get better mileage on it too.

• Like 1

Great - thanks guys. I thought it was fishy when the original owner told me to use 91 :o

98 is a waste in this car. We use RON here and the US owners' guide correctly indicates 95 RON.

Just use 95, it won't be any less efficient in your car and it will cost you less.

This may sound silly, but where do you find 95? All I've seen recently is 91 or 97/8.

28 minutes ago, gjm said:

This may sound silly, but where do you find 95? All I've seen recently is 91 or 97/8.

Most places around me are 95 except the occasional BP or Mobil. :(

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Most places around me are 95 except the occasional BP or Mobil. :(

Ah. We have mostly Mobil or Gull.

10 hours ago, gjm said:

Z ... the old Shell has 95

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gjm said:

Ah. We have mostly Mobil or Gull.

I understand both use Ethanol in their 98, hence I avoid.  I use BP 98 (although still reconciling the guilt with their gulf disaster), or Caltex 95.

I use caltex 95 because its the closest to my house, and I save up the AA fuelsaver points which saves me around $40-60 a month when I fill up.