Sign in to follow this  
bga

The latest daily E30

IMG_0655.PNGHi folks, had this a while but just been tarting it up, sold the convertible, no use to me during winter and was after a decent unmolested E30 as my daily and found this little gem, just a baby 318i auto (for now) - came on bottle caps but stumbled across mint 15" basketweaves (the mrs was talking to her hairdresser who had some under his house for years, lucky find!), removed the go-faster stripes it had and did a 4 stage cut and polish while the weather was nice. Sourced a decent stereo to match the orange light interior (from Bonnie Scotland of all places - matches really well and fixed up a couple of glovebox torches - got a mint reupholstered mtech steering wheel (from Ireland) via ebay and currently in the process of getting some msport seats reupholstered in the original indigo stoff fabric, also fixed the stuck odo with some new gears - will be a little near - minter when done:) - oh yea, and got some front fogs coming too

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

100yrDay.jpg

Edited by bga
  • Like 3

Nah, just speaker out on this one, if interested have a word with Boyd here, he was very good to deal with - http://bavarianretro.com/blog/

Edited by bga
  • Like 1

Awesome, thanks. Was hoping for something with rca but looks like an awesome unit

• Like 1

rush ftw!:thumbs-up:

3 hours ago, zero said:

rush ftw!:thumbs-up:

good spot :) was just trying out the usb option at that point with my trusty stick with the entire Rush discography on, in fairness the usb option is the one thing that lets the unit down as it starts from track 1 every time you switch it on, so just use bluetooth/phone 

4 hours ago, WYZEUP said:

Awesome, thanks. Was hoping for something with rca but looks like an awesome unit

no worries, there's units in repro etc that you're no doubt aware of - JVC for eg that have 240k + colours that can be configured to match with rca out but they don't look retro at all so went with this one 

Edited by bga

probably ought to post in the Audio forum I guess

Edited by bga

got the tranny changed to a manual last week, still only a wee 318i but feels alive now, more than enough for the daily work and school run .. next job on the list sport seat reupholstery ..

manual.png

• Like 2

followed.  time for updates, I reckon!

ok Olaf, here we go .. heres the interior when I got it .. standard wheel, seats etc - usual E30 rips but generally I bought this car due to its potential as I wanted a straight unmolested example, there were a few oil drips but nothing terminal, the body was straight bar a small bump on the passenger side and the engine purred so I figured that was a plus straight away 

IMG_0559.JPG

• Like 1

got a freshly recovered MTech1 steering wheel off ebay - was located in Ireland, cost around $200 delivered, bargain as its mint, found some 15" basketweaves under someones house, had been there years another bargain, had seals and all belts replaced in 2016 so no more leaks anywhere .. had it converted to manual as posted previously with new bushes, clutch etc .. found a couple of Sport Seats in a wreckers year thanks to WYZEUP giving me the heads up that there were some available, they were rough but mechanically sound. Sourced the factory material to match the originals / rears / doors etc - from LeMans Auto Fabrics in Welly - and got them reupholstered last year, got a back seat from a sedan and got the rear headrest mechanism out of them and added rear headrests again in matching material, currently in the shop getting new suspension at the front and dropping it around an inch and a half, should be done later today, added an IS Lip and sprayed up in SterlingSilber to match up. Fitted a new Speedo to the existing cluster and changed the gears in it - sat on 130000km for 6 years - put a speedo in with 163000 kms on it - figured if not dead accurate its closer to the real milage, painted all needles red (I know :) .. but looks great), shadowlined all windows (used a car wrapping guy to do that), Serviced regularly, brake master cylinder replaced and system overhauled: to do Air Con needs sorting, Passenger side rear panel needs respraying due to imperfection and my terrible attempt to sort it which has made it more noticeable and maybe remote central locking - then we're about done, Longer term a full glass out respray,  all factory stuff and mostly cosmetic but the spec is now a bit higher than what it was  .. I've got other pics at home so will post later 

IMG_0535.JPG

SeatsDone1.JPG

Edited by bga
  • Like 1

She’s a beauty!  I’m after a pair of those seats in the long term, and that fabric too - mine’s plainer, in pretty fair nick (under the seat covers), though I’m after the iS setup.

bought mine similarly - overall in honest, unmolested nick, needed some TLC.  Work in progress, or a “rolling restoration” as they call it in the UK ?

• Like 1

Getting few and far between are Coupe sports seats as you’re no doubt aware, best of luck sourcing - i kept my eye out for a good while. Had the suspension overhauled this week, and got the 3” gap between wheel and wheel arch sorted, looks a bit tidier now -

890FE252-52EE-4BD2-B62D-4D948E4E8FF6.jpeg

BB5936DE-3BAD-4BA1-8DA3-34D1785C0E40.jpeg

B4E18313-C9CB-449F-9260-49669CDD42C6.jpeg

B92D29BE-AE62-4BD0-8218-1383960A4DC7.jpeg

Edited by bga
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, bga said:

Had the suspension overhauled this week, and got the 3” gap between wheel and wheel arch sorted, looks a bit tidier now -

BB5936DE-3BAD-4BA1-8DA3-34D1785C0E40.jpeg

which springs and shocks did you go for?

• Like 1

Heres the list, monroes were replaced on the rear

659CACBD-A78B-486F-A7CA-32F8B78F9DB3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Looking good, where did you get the gearknob from? 

• Like 1

had Dobi springs put in the back as it was riding a bit high at the rear - nice and straight now aaaIMG_2014.thumb.PNG.7a9a4a3fc530d58464b14ac059ecc96f.PNG

Edited by bga
typo

Perhaps it’s the camera angle - looks lower in the rear now?

here’s mine on H&R Sport Springs 

Edited by Olaf
Correct spelling of H&R
  • Like 1

it is level now, although saying that I wouldn't have gone as low as it is now in an ideal world, I'm green as grass when it comes to lowering so know next to nothing about what stuff to get, it would be 10mm higher all round if I had to do it again (get tiresome catching the front lip a few times every week)  yours looks about perfect I reckon

Edited by bga
put cm instead of mm
  • Like 1

Mine’s “30mm Lower”

thats low enough for me!  I didn’t set out to lower, just wanted more rate and something that would match the Konis.  It has scraped in a minor fashion over one hump at a carpark entry, in 400-odd kms. That’s enough hassle for me.  Sump guard in my future.

• Like 1

been a while but time for an update. The E30 is a garage queen now, weekend and sunshine car nowadays mainly due to a work relocation and also the rising value of the old girl, been after these for a while and eventually got round to getting some OEM iS skirts for her from CATuned in California (8 days door to door for $36USD shipping), some fitting and after pics, used the official clips for anchoring the underside but didn't use the factory grommet method as really didn't want to drill holes so got a recommendation to use windscreen adhesive which has worked fantastically - really pleased with how she looks 

IMG-2026.jpg

IMG-1968.jpg

Skirt.jpg

F4CAD221-CF42-4397-AF3A-C12471F2B4F0.JPG

IMG-2028.jpg

IMG-2033.jpg

IMG-2034.jpg

Edited by bga
typo
  • Like 5

Looks great - and amazing shipping price!

Did you paint yourself?

• Thanks 1