Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

e90 330i - maintenance questions

looking at e90 330i with N52, I've driven a few, as well as e90 323i Msport and 320d.   I'm a bit tight to go to 335i, the 330i seems like a fun place to be for a couple of years, so am sussing out a few of the problems, before I buy.  Yes, I'll get a pre-purchase inspection from a BMW Independent.  I learned the hard way that VTNZ PPI's are worth sh*t when it comes to a BMW.

Now, about the 330i e90 and it's foibles/features.

I understand the electric water pump is a sh*t to get at, and is expensive to replace along with the thermostat.  

I've heard the run-flats are a bit average, though the extreme of buying the plastics and sourcing a jack and space saver spare is.... how much?

I have a couple of other questions.

1.  Leaky Valve Cover Gasket.  I've read the procedures, and see it's a bit shitty to do.  Need to reset the valvtronic motor with a scan tool.  QUESTION:  Approx how many hours labour to have this done?  I understand one should replace the cover bolts as well.

2.  If you were replacing the Valve Cover Gasket;  Question:  what else would you do as a matter of course while it's stripped down?  The Oil Filter Housing gasket I guess.  Anything Else?

3.  Cooling system:  if you were replacing the waterpump and thermostat, you'd do the hoses, and expansion tank too? Anything Else?

4.  Tyres Question:  About how much per corner are the Bridgestone RE050a RFTs made for the e90, in 18"?

One I'm looking at has had the plugs replaced.  Does the N52 suffer from coil failures like the M54 does?

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

'Olaf'

Edited by Olaf

I should add, I'm about to buy one this week; I'd appreciate your help with these questions team!

cheers

the price for runflat tyres vary widly in my experience.Just before xmas one year i needed two new tyres.All the usual suspects were out of stock I had to buy pirellis at nearly 400 each.The next time i had to buy tyres i shopped around well in advance.I got them at about 250 each(same pirelli tyres) 205 55 16 i think

Get a can of tyre slime and portable compressor from Repco or Supercheap, should be under $100 in total.

Then you can get decent Bridgestone or Goodyear tyres for about $300 per corner if you shop around. 

The Bridgestone Runflats will run about $400 - 500 each and their performance is worse than regular tyres even if you put aside ride quality.

thanks all for the responses.

Ron, it has the valve cover oil leak, yes.  Though what you're saying is "don't buy a BMW circa 100k kms - coz they'll need work".  Eg the electric water pump & thermostat block should be considered a maintenance item at around ten years, aloing with the hoses, expansion tank etc.  These are not part of your maintenence plan, but prudent items to replace.  Same goes for a trans flush & filter.

So for the Valve Cover leak, I'm wondering if it's 2.5hrs labour. - or more.  So I can determine if there's more than $1k to catch up on in this instance.

cheers

so how do you predict the electric water pump failure on the N52, Ron?  I understand when they do sh*t the bed, you get an orange light and "do not drive vehicle" up on the dash.  

Surely replacing a leaky radiator is reactive, not preventative maintenance?  Unless replacing your leaky radiator is "preventing a blown head gasket"?! B)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Olaf said:

so how do you predict the electric water pump failure on the N52, Ron?  I understand when they do sh*t the bed, you get an orange light and "do not drive vehicle" up on the dash.  

They don't necessarily s**t themselves in an instant. Lot of reports I've read the issues start off intermittently. I noticed my N55 (also an electric pump) slowly losing coolant, about a cup every month. A few months in I had the shop put it under pressure overnight and they found the pump was leaking, so they can fail that way too.

Also from what I've read the car should let you drive until the engine gets too hot, it will reduce power, if it keeps getting hotter it will shut off (not like the E46 - they will let you destroy the engine).

many thanks, Matthew.

Olaf, a guy on the BMW For sale/ swap NZ Facebook page periodically tries to flog a spacesaver and jack to suit E90 for around $90. Probably still has it (not exactly a high demand item :P )

hey thanks for that Colin, sorry I didn't get back sooner.  Still looking for an e90 330i, PPI today saw me walk away from that example.  I'll keep any eye out.  

I knew RFTs on an X5 were pricey, I didn't expect 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 to be as scary as they turned out!  $2k for RE050a, or $3k for Pirellis.  It wasn't just the rubber.

Hey ho, I'll keep looking, better informed. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just put normal tyres on and get some roadside assistance like AA or similar. 

Cant put into words how much better the e91 is with normal tyres over re050a rft.

• Like 1

Thanks Kyu, I hear you.  

I did think that if I acquire an e9x with RFTs, I can trial it on the Style 194s on my e46 shod with 245/40 and 225/45 RE003s.  It'll be an interesting comparison.  Then it's only 18 to 17 in some cases, or in others it's eggs-with-eggs.

I've had AA membership for long enough that I get the max discount off of my insurance!  

this could be the go....

attachment.php?attachmentid=1164968&stc=

image linked from e90post.com.