Sign in to follow this  
dimsim

E46 328iA4 Transmission Emergency Mode

1998 E46 328i Sedan, Auto

Trans is in emergency mode with the little Cog next t the gear indicator. Seems to operate ok and doesnt shift nastily or anything.  I've hooked up my carsoft 910 and it reads

97 CAN status, fault

Have searched everywhere but cant find much about that. Coincidentally the airbag light has come back on and I cant query the SRS for the fault code (communication error). It has been fine previoulsy when I installed an airbag bypass sensor for the passengers seat a while ago and reset the SRS.

Could they are related? Wondering if the SRS module wont query has this thrown the EGS into Emergency Mode?

Edited by dimsim

If your trans is dead I have a good one for $200

2 hours ago, zero said:

If your trans is dead I have a good one for $200

Good to know, thanks.

2 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

You need a far better scanner to determine your fault. 

That could well be the case, but I still think its a little odd that I can no longer query the SRS system and cant help but think the CAN fault is a communication error to some of the control modules, which I assume a better scanner would still have trouble with.

What other things can I check without a better scanner?

Seems odd that the SRS light and the Trans emergency mode lights have come on at the same time.

ok, so more info... I hooked the scanner up again and went through querying everything I could.. under body I got ABS and there are three faults logged

96 Connection of EGS to CAN bus
67 Brake Light Switch (suspected)
94 Engine Speed via CAN

So connection of EGS to canbus would indicate a dodgy/loose/other connector on the trans control module? or dodgy/loose/other connector on the trans itself? or gear lever?

Brake light switch I think it self explanatory (I did read of someone else where this was the cause of someone else's Trans Emergency Light problem)

Engine Speed via CAN, my guess is that number come from the engine control unit via a crank sensor or something?

Is there a big plug somewhere that might have got some water in it, that could affect all of these?

ok, an update...

seems like the Brake Light Switch has fixed the trans emergency mode problem - phew!

But still getting an occasional SRS warning light pop up on the dash. It seems to come on initially then go out like it should, but will come on randomly when driving, the go out again. I’ve scanned it for fault code and it come up with a power supply fault so my guess is its losing power/voltage at various points.

I did replace one of the tail lights recently (the lens fell off) and the new light i fitted had the earth pin burnt out on it (seems like it was from a later model with the tail light earth problem hence the burn out pin. Either the brake light switch or this caused the stop lights to come on and stay on but I’ve since replaced the bulb holder with the old one and that has sorted that. I also at the same time checked the earths on both tail light connectors with a multi-meter and they both test fine.

But... I can now replicate that fault and the trans emergency mode light by switching on either of the vanity lights when driving. The trans light comes on and the brake lights come on along with both brake light bulb warnings on the instrument cluster then go out again after turning off the visor vanity light.

Looks like there was a similar fault with the E39 that pointed to an ignition switch so my guess is that its either that or a bad earth somewhere.

Anyone had any similar experiences or seen an issue like this and can help me with anything else i should be looking at?

Hi,

Have you checked the condition of the wiring under the passengers seat.  Both the sensor pad and the seat belt buckle wires from memory their was a problem with these braking and sending weird messages. Best of luck they can be a pain in the rear trying to find them  even with the best gear.

Thanks Allan, I have recently fitted an occupancy sensor bypass to the passenger seat (this was installed quite a while ago before these faults) but i did notice the other day that some of the underseat loom was hanging down a bit so will check it out.

Think the SRS control unit is in the centre console between the two front seats so maybe this is a good place to start, I assume the occupancy sensor and seat belt tensioners are directly connected to the SRS control unit so this sound like a good place to look.

Do you know exactly what the problem was with the wiring?

Did you call Glenn?

Did you follow through by calling Glenn wealth of knowledge? The one i have covers belt tensioner wiring etc and faulty wiring giving codes 05.06  and how to fit a new wiring harness. Do a google search their is quite a few threads and videos covering this topic. .

SI Repair Instructions for Seat Belt Tensioner Ignition Circuit.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allan said:

Did you follow through by calling Glenn wealth of knowledge? The one i have covers belt tensioner wiring etc and faulty wiring giving codes 05.06  and how to fit a new wiring harness. Do a google search their is quite a few threads and videos covering this topic. .

Awesome read, Allan.

11 hours ago, Olaf said:

Did you call Glenn?

Yes -  I spoke to Glenn and he said I needed a better scanner to track down the fault as there are so many different sensors and switches interconnected on the multiple control units involved in the fault. e.g ABS/SRS/ERS. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone he could recommend in Hawke's Bay.

I set about fixing individual faults codes and re-testing e.g replace brake light switch, clear and re-rest etc. and that has sorted the Emergency run problem.

9 hours ago, allan said:

It would seem that Allan also has a wealth of knowledge... :) This might be getting closer to the problem now.

A while back I posted regarding an E46 electric seat recline gearbox repair. I bought the gearbox from Allan but couldn't find a way to replace without completely breaking down the seat which without the right tools and workshop space was simply too hard to complete. In the end I bought another complete E46 standard electric seat base and took the seat base front tilt motor and seat base and switching off my sports seats and fitted it to the standard seat base. As the loom was different I just swapped mine over to the new base to connect the extra motor. 

At the time i didn't notice anything wrong with the wiring but maybe that now requires a close look.

Is it that the wires just get brittle and break? Has anyone carried out that mod with purchasing the repair harness'

I've just read through the E46Fantics thread where the pretensioner loom is replaced and notice his scanner listed the fault as Table 10 Code 02. My iCarSoft 910-II list the fault at 10 Power Supply - so i wonder if it is just not as detailed and isn't listing the subcode?

Further update....

IGNITION SWITCH!

Replaced, now no longer have SRS light coming on randomly, either visor vanity light doesn’t trigger brake light warning or kill the radio, no power fault in SRS. So pretty much the same fault symptoms as the E39 and the E39/E38/E46/E83/E53/E85/E86 all share the same ignition switch  61326901961

There's a great DIY switch repair vid here the details what my switch was like. The contact that connect PIN 5 & 8 was rough as described and the activator was blackened so I guess there been some arcing there. I probably could have just cleaned it up but got a new switch from EUROSPARES so just replaced it.

Still have the these faults in the ABS

97 Variant coding, ABS/ASC control unit
67 Brake Light Switch (suspected)
94 Engine Speed via CAN

I’m not able to erase/reset these codes with my i910 so my guess is the scanner needs a software update or is incapable as it says it erases, I turn the key on off and back on and they are there again without even activating the brake light switch or it needs an ABS control unit. ABS works fine and there is no warning light in the instrument cluster so I’m happy to ignore until I find a better scanner or can try a better software version.

Edited by dimsim