Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Importing from Japan

Is there such a thing as a guide price for importing a car from Japan?

NZRC will take a cut, I have no doubt, and the amount involved will be a percentage of the purchase price of the car (plus shipping, insurance...)

After that, there are presumably different shipping prices depending on the departure and arrival ports.

Is there such a thing as a rough guide to what this might cost?

I may have found my answer.

Shipping (RORO) is around $1700-1800.

Costs in NZ for compliance are quoted as:
Customs GST (15%)
Registration 1 year 280.55NZD
Government Transaction Fee 49.24NZD

This assumes you get all the paperwork sorted correctly, and no issues with compliance.

Surely though, there must be an inspection fee from MPI or similar?

Depends what is covered in the "shipping" fee, is it a door to door price or purely the sea freight?

All sorts of charges, MPI, port handling, etc. On top of the sea freight cost. Check what is included.

That fee was door to port - it'd need collecting at this end. Additional transport available for $3-400 for port to Huntly. I figured it could be done a bit cheaper than that; besides, stopping at the port levels the playing field.

MPI is missing from this and I cannot find anything to give an indication of what their costs might be.

Hadn't considered port handling. Will check it would be a part of the shipping fees.

It's about as predictable as a lottery result? ;)

When we moved to NZ, we used a well-known company to ship our 'stuff' in a container. One of the benefits of this is that MPI 'know' the company and are less likely to open the container to inspect the contents, leading to potentially significant delays. I suspect the same could be true of bringing cars in from overseas - a private individual importing a vehicle may be eyed with more suspicion than a dealer chain buying 200 Nissan Micras at a time.

• Like 1

Careful when selecting a shipping agent.  Make sure they visit the closest port to your vehicle often.  Had cars sit in the yard over there for a month before they left.

Just make sure the car is of a high grade.  If there has been any prior damage often you will need an engineers report.  I have had grade 3 cars turn up that required me to cut off a rear quarter and stitch it back on because they were not happy with the Jap job.  Agent missed the damage...

There are a few agents in NZ who will do the whole lot for you.  Sitting in customs house getting your paperwork slowly looked over is hair pulling madness.

As for collecting the car from the port.  It is hard work trying to find a trustworthy transporter.  Not only to pick the car up on time.  But one that won't rip off anything they can unbolt.

Get Insurance that will cover the vehicle right to your driveway.

• Like 1

MPI check is not an issue on newer cars, unless it is from some high-risk area.

It does seem to be bit of a rort though, I've been charged for steam cleaning and removal of trims that clearly never happened.

Don't under estimate the cost of work required to meet compliance either, if it's an older car.

Check the excess on your insurance as well, some shippers aren't interested if the car is damaged and just refer you to your insurer.