Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

Moving to Christchurch, good suburbs?

Morning everyone, 

I will be based in Christchurch start of November onwards.  I am looking at going flatting and would prefer the suburbs around the airport.  I am just looking for tips as to which ones to stay away from.  I have been looking around Ilam and Avonhead.  What do you guys/girls reckon?

Regards

Do you specifically want to live near the Airport to be close to your workplace?

Avonhead and Ilam are good suburbs. Ilam has a lot of students due to its proximity to the University. Avonhead is more family oriented, lots of schools / kindys, quiet cul de sacs and suburban shopping. Not so much in the way of entertainment. 

If you move a bit closer in to Riccarton you get the benefit of being close to Westfield Mall, and only a short taxi to either Addington with the rugby stadium and bars on Lincoln Road, or to Victoria Street / Carlton Corner where again there is more in the way of bars and restaurants.

• Like 1

Cheers for the tips Mark.  I think I will narrow down to Ilam then, seems to be midpoint between city and airport.  Yeah, need to be close to the airport for work purposes.  Ilam seems like the suburb for me.  

can't fault your logic, Kyu. :D   When I was in my 20's, I'd have said the same.

Go get those uni girls :ph34r:

Someone's gotta do it.