Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Shocks for an E92

So as I am getting close to buying a 335i I decided to do some checking on replacement shocks as I usually find that most cars with 80k plus kms the shocks are stuffed. So I rang Stocks for a Koni price, they said they have nothing available and no part numbers either. So I ring the shock shop and the only Bilsteins are the B6's which according to everying thing I have read is for standard height suspension only. The B8 is for Motor Sport and lower. So any ideas? Not that keen on coil overs as its another $500 for a cert. 

Ok stocks called me back and they have the STrT shocks, price is good and from what I can ascertain they are a bit firmer than factory M Sport shocks. I ran some STrT shocks on my e36 325i with lowered springs and the car handled well so right now they are an option. 

Hmmmm.  It's about choice, yeah?  

you can certainly source a large selection of shocks/struts from abroad.  Sachs (OEM), Bilstein HD, Koni Sport... I'd be plumping for the Koni Sports I reckon, you won't be feeling as 'naked' after the Ohlins setup, and have some adjustability.

Yeah the B8s will be $1250 and the STrTs will be $750 ish. I am trying to be a realist here and this will be a road car not a track car. 

So this is a Bilstein B6 and next to it is a BMW (Sachs) M Sport shock. This is why I want the B8 not the B6. 

Stock BMW e92 sport shock vs Bilstein B6

what's the context of that photo - a worn-out OEM shock next to a B6 that's new?  B8 is, apparently, the go - with the right spring match.

What about simply replacing the Msport (226A?) shock with Sachs OEM 226A replacement?

Another thing to consider for the e9x, is using the M3 components in front and rear.  This may be 'worth' as much as an awesome spring/shock package in terms of enhancement...

so many options #8 )   

are you close to getting a vehicle, John?

Yes have a car in my sights just discussing money. M3 is an option I guess as it seems to fit the standard e92 chassis. I will have a look. 

Just buy online from the US, you'll find anything you want and it'll probably be cheaper even after customs tax.

Shocks wont necessarily be worn, depends where the car's been driving I think. Country roads are probably much harsher on shocks than roads around town. 

I have done US pricing it's about the same or a little dearer than NZ pricing but they do have what I want so I am considering it. 

Ron the STrT's are non adjustable but are designed for lowered vehicles, my research says they are firmer than stock shocks. Having driven a few M Sport E90's I am pretty happy with how they handle, I would just like a little less roll and looking at the diameter of the rear sway bar I suspect it starts there. Koni yellows would be better no doubt but I also want some extra horsepower and perhaps a LSD as well, only so much money to go round. 

• Like 1

Yes good points Ron, I have Ohlins in my E46 and the setup is very good indeed. 

Just re-read my post, John.  My reference to M3 parts wasn't springs/shocks.  What I meant (but didn't make clear) was that you can retrofit the front control arms and the rear control arms (FCP do a TRW kit) - going from folded steel to forged alloy in the case of the rears - which is allegedly quite an improvement for each end.

Quoting FCP:

"Upgrade the handling performance of your non M E82/E88 1-series or non M E90/E91/E92/E93 3-series with components originally designed for the E9X M3 and E82 1M

To start off, the non M and M designed suspension are similar in terms of design philosophy which is not surprising when you consider that BMW's M division is working off what BMW already designed. However, there are numerous changes made to the M version control arms which drastically improve handling performance. Because the suspensions are almost identical in design it allows for the 1-Series M and M3 control arms to be installed in their non M counterparts without modification.

The tension struts (big curved control arms) feature a solid rubber inner bushing which reduces deflection and eliminates the hydro bushing weakness which is tearing and leaks. The solid rubber bushing is stiffer which helps tighten up the front suspension without being overly stiff and unforgiving. The lower wishbones (straight control arm) features a sealed inner bearing, also known as a monoball, that allows for the inner part of the control arm to rotate more freely when compared to the non M rubber bushing. This design change also allows for added durability in the long run. The lower control arm is slightly longer which adds approximately .75° of negative camber helping reduce under steer and drastically improving turn in response without having a significant impact on tire read life."

and

"Significantly improves handling, a great modification for non M E82/E88 1-Series models and E90/E91/E92/E92 non M 3-series models

The rear control arm suspension is drastically different on the E9X M3 and E82 1 Series M when compared to their non M counterparts. The non M upper control arms are rolled steel and feature traditional rubber bushings in both the inner and outer position. The "hollow" design of the OE control arms are weak and flex a lot, particularly under acceleration. The M3 version of these upper control arms are made of solid aluminum and are light in comparison to the non M variants. Similar to the front wishbone, the upper wishbones use a monoball mount which allows for free movement of the control arms under all conditions. This helps keep the suspension stable and planted under all conditions."

Yes I was looking at that same kit from FCP a few days ago, ah so much to buy. Perhaps one day I will get a car that i dont then spend thousands upgrading. 

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Perhaps one day I will get a car that i dont then spend thousands upgrading. 

what makes you think that?  #; )

Well the shocks might have to go on hold  for a month or so. I went to inspect a 335i I am keen on and its quite tidy and cheap, not words you often use in the same sentence but the tyres on the 19 inch rims are junk so I suspect I will be shelling out somewhere around $12-1500 for some decent rubber.  

19's eh?  I always scratch my head when there's cheap rubber on a car, makes me wonder what other aspects of the maintenance they've cheaped-out on.

• Like 1

Well that 335i fell through but as luck would have it another one came up with less KM's and slightly tidier overall. It's only on 17's but has reasonable Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2's, so we will see how they go. Found a cheap option for Konis will post details as soon as I confirm it will happen. 

As I see it still a reasonable tyre with sharp steering response and good dry performance which is definitely on my list. They can stay on while I use the funds for the Konis.

Edited by Herbmiester

On 16 September 2016 at 7:17 AM, Olaf said:

Just re-read my post, John.  My reference to M3 parts wasn't springs/shocks.  What I meant (but didn't make clear) was that you can retrofit the front control arms and the rear control arms (FCP do a TRW kit) - going from folded steel to forged alloy in the case of the rears - which is allegedly quite an improvement for each end.

Quoting FCP:

"Upgrade the handling performance of your non M E82/E88 1-series or non M E90/E91/E92/E93 3-series with components originally designed for the E9X M3 and E82 1M

etc etc etc.

Jeez.  I just re-read my post.  Which is to say, I now realise how my last post could be read:

- as a direction or order (just re-read my post), or

- as a statement (I) just re-read (as in reviewed) my own post.

I meant the latter - though understand that by ommitting the apostrophe at the start of the sentance, there could be misunderstanding.  

cheers

On 18 September 2016 at 7:46 AM, Olaf said:

19's eh?  I always scratch my head when there's cheap rubber on a car, makes me wonder what other aspects of the maintenance they've cheaped-out on.

^^exactly this, if they aren't prepared to pay for decent rubber, then the chances they have done servicing and preventative maintenance are pretty slim. 

Ok for shocks I was quoted by Stocks $1866.40 for a set of Koni Sports (Yellows). I went to a company in Britain and got the same set with a set of H&R Sport springs for $985 NZD including shipping. Now I will have to pay GST when they get to NZ so adding GST is $1132.75 and $75 for customs clearance that's $1207.75. Now as I already have sport suspension I may or may not fit the H&R springs, if I dont and choose to sell them then they are worth around $300, so my total cost of the Konis is $907.75 which will be half of what Stocks quoted me. I am not posting who I bought them off as I dont want Stocks complaining to Koni worldwide and shutting this down so if you want to know PM me. 

I think I already told everyone 10 years ago. I also told Stocks, but they didn't seem to care.

I assume that the company you dealt with has the initials DT?

Perhaps someone could complain to Koni and get the NZ prices more in line with the rest of the world?

BTW, Koni adjustables still as good as new after 140,000kms.

• Like 2