Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

19 inch tyres cost a lot more than 17's and 18's

The title of this post is pretty obvious but it was a bit of shock to me how much more expensive they are. Actually the biggest surprise was that decent mid range tyres like Bridgestone RE003's just aren't available in some of the bigger sizes and even the better bridgestones just aren't available at at all. (I like bridestones when they have the buy one get one half price deals). Any thoughts one  245/35/19 and 265/30/19 tyres? 

11 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Yep either rubbish or small mortgage territory expect to pay north of $2600 and as much as $4G's  the X5 went through $3900 worth of Pirellis in 8 months

wow,

No wonder bmw owners have such a bad name, there is so much wrong with this post I just don't know where to start

• Like 1

Even 18s in 235 & 265 can be $2000 plus. Issue seems to be a small market. My last couple of sets have been via tirerack as couldn't  get re11 or pss locally in that size. Btw Bridgestone are export controlled meaning if NZ doesn't stock you choice of tyre or size you are forced to other brands. I tried importing re71r earlier this year. Went to PSS in the end at $2.2k. 

• Like 1

So at present I have prices on BS S001's, pretty decent tyre from what I can gather at set would be $1500 but the 265's are not in country so will find out Monday if that's a go. Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2/3 about 2k. Michelin Pilot Super Sport, about $2900. Nitto Invos, 2k. 

Just read some reviews on the new Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3 but looks like its not available in 265/30/19 but may be available in 255/35/19

Edited by Herbmiester

Not that keen on Nittos, the new Asymmetric 3 gets a good review and the Michellins are just too much so we will see what happens with the S001's. 

Shop around and you can find some better deals, try Mag and Tyre. Had Eagle F1s at $300 each when I needed them last year (19s on my 335i), other places charged $500-$600 at the time. 

Edited by Matth5

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Even 18s in 235 & 265 can be $2000 plus. Issue seems to be a small market. My last couple of sets have been via tirerack as couldn't  get re11 or pss locally in that size. Btw Bridgestone are export controlled meaning if NZ doesn't stock you choice of tyre or size you are forced to other brands. I tried importing re71r earlier this year. Went to PSS in the end at $2.2k. 

Neal, if you were to get free freight within USA from your supplier (eg TireRack), ship to your box address at www.myus.com and then trans-ship to NZ you should be fine.

• Like 1

Check out Hankook S1 EVO 2 or V12s.

Always well rated.

18" RE003's were 1100 fitted for my E55 during the last 4 for 3 sale.

Give your local BMW dealer a ring, most of the odd-ball sizes are kept in stock in the part warehouse, in the factory optioned brands - Bridgestone, PSS, Contis, etc. Lots of 19" rims as standard on NZ cars nowadays.

Not sure about pricing and how competitive they are though, might be worth a shot if you are stuggling to source what you need.

• Like 1

yep, ^^ when I was investigating RFT 18" recently, JGBMW were competitive and had tyres in stock!

Edited by Olaf

^ More empirical evidence that the Goodyears are a great tyre.

Trust the experts, not the forum junkies.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

You never disappoint me.

How is a range from 116-210 price banding?

And surely biggest bang for buck is just another expression for best value?

Review a bit suspect . Rates the 105v high in many areas. Got a rear set in the garage on a spare set of rims. Very easy to spin up . The m3 will do this if you down shift to 2nd and change up to 3rd which caught me by surprise.  Haven't had this with any other tyres let alone PSS.

• Like 1

I kind of like the flashing yellow triangle light on the dash with these tyres. Comes on randomly for no apparent reason. Maybe 235s on the rear is the key.

I'm now worried about getting owned by 105v shod Focus ST drivers.

You should probably be worried about Focus ST drivers period. Quick and light. They're no laughing matter. 

True, but the RS is closer in terms of performance.

STs and MPS don't seem to be ..... from what I've seen running re11s :rolleyes:

Edited by Neal

I'm not up on my Fords so I should probably have just said "the quick one". 

On 9/26/2016 at 9:13 PM, 3pedals said:

Clearly the focus has a far better chassis than the M3? coz they unleashed all that raw power when they disabled the traction control .

It is one reason I prefer the tire rack tests - they use BMW cars quite often so it is more likely to emulate the behaviour we will encounter.

Tire rack also rated the Goodyears highly

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=140

They're a great match for the 335i IMO, especially in the wet. Had them on mine for a year now. 

Edited by Matth5

Yes there are better tyres but I don't think the 335i needs that extra grip unless you're chasing laptimes or tuned up to 400hp. When I was tyre shopping I found the Eagle F1 AS2s for $300 each, those others were $500-$800 each for 19 inch wheels.

Without using the DCT launch control I can't really break traction in these tyres on a dry road, so I don't see the point in spending more. And In the year I'd have them I've used launch control more times than I can count and filled the cabin with the smell of burning rubber, yet the rears still have heaps of tread. 
I destroyed Bridgestone RE050 runflats in 2 months with the same behavior (although they were not new at the start to be fair and alignment was bad, so I won't claim that to be a completely fair comparison)

I had the RE002s on my 328i, they were great on that car, I'd rate those as a great tyre for cars around 200hp, the Eagle F1 for the 300hp mark, and for 400hp I may go for something grippier (or I'd just enjoy breaking traction more easily :D )

That said if you're not as fussed about saving money as me, then nothing wrong with the higher end tyres. I just think you need way more than 300hp to make proper use of such high end tyres. 

Edited by Matth5

I get your point but I think the the Eagle F1s are far from s**t "penny pinching" tyres. I'd have Altenzo's or something if I wanted to cheap out. 

If you absolutely have to have the very best, you've got more than just tyres to think of, and you'd be blowing all your income on your car.

Anyway, time I bow out of this chat I think :)

Edited by Matth5