Herbmiester

19 inch tyres cost a lot more than 17's and 18's

I kind of like the flashing yellow triangle light on the dash with these tyres. Comes on randomly for no apparent reason. Maybe 235s on the rear is the key.

I'm now worried about getting owned by 105v shod Focus ST drivers.

You should probably be worried about Focus ST drivers period. Quick and light. They're no laughing matter. 

True, but the RS is closer in terms of performance.

STs and MPS don't seem to be ..... from what I've seen running re11s :rolleyes:

Edited by Neal

I'm not up on my Fords so I should probably have just said "the quick one". 

On 9/26/2016 at 9:13 PM, 3pedals said:

Clearly the focus has a far better chassis than the M3? coz they unleashed all that raw power when they disabled the traction control .

It is one reason I prefer the tire rack tests - they use BMW cars quite often so it is more likely to emulate the behaviour we will encounter.

Tire rack also rated the Goodyears highly

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=140

They're a great match for the 335i IMO, especially in the wet. Had them on mine for a year now. 

Edited by Matth5

Tire Rack do like them but they like the Pilot sport 3's  Michelin Pilot super sports and Bridgestone S001 even more.

What I like about Tire rack is they compare similarly "pitched " tyres, that is Michelins top tyre in a category against the top tyre from Bridgestone, Conti etc. 

IMO the Goodyear sits closer to  the Primacy than Pilot sport or super sport, its not a top notch performance tyre, but it is a good tyre.  

It was via Tire rack that I tracked down the primacy 3's I now have on the Saab, these are an excellent "sport / touring"  tyre for the slushier sprung Saab and don't really give too much away to the PS3's on the 328  in normal / fun mode  only when you get to serious fun is there a reasonable divergence.

They are significantly better than the Re002 that I had on as a stop gap and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better that the appalling Neuton NT 5000's that were fitted and didn't like and lead in the foot or dampness  on the road.

It all comes down to boots for courses  and our individual expectations so there will always be divergence of opinions on tyres - But Tire Rack do provide one of the most objective assessments of a very wide range of tyres

Yes there are better tyres but I don't think the 335i needs that extra grip unless you're chasing laptimes or tuned up to 400hp. When I was tyre shopping I found the Eagle F1 AS2s for $300 each, those others were $500-$800 each for 19 inch wheels.

Without using the DCT launch control I can't really break traction in these tyres on a dry road, so I don't see the point in spending more. And In the year I'd have them I've used launch control more times than I can count and filled the cabin with the smell of burning rubber, yet the rears still have heaps of tread. 
I destroyed Bridgestone RE050 runflats in 2 months with the same behavior (although they were not new at the start to be fair and alignment was bad, so I won't claim that to be a completely fair comparison)

I had the RE002s on my 328i, they were great on that car, I'd rate those as a great tyre for cars around 200hp, the Eagle F1 for the 300hp mark, and for 400hp I may go for something grippier (or I'd just enjoy breaking traction more easily :D )

That said if you're not as fussed about saving money as me, then nothing wrong with the higher end tyres. I just think you need way more than 300hp to make proper use of such high end tyres. 

Edited by Matth5

Power is only one factor in the equation ( try stopping or turning on sh*t tyres) , you aptly point out your bias is towards cost - none of the smarts in your car can works to their best if the tyres don't stick to the road.  

Mine is clearly enunciated as "towards performance" :specifically I choose tyres that will do their best to keep me out of trouble at all times wet and dry, cold and hot  so I can enjoy myself and avoid the f**kwits that do stupid things including driving on the wrong side of the road around blind corners.

"Penny pinching"  is of little value if you are a  banged up invalid.

The "smartest"  car with  average tyres has less chance of avoiding a crash that a good car with great tyres

I get your point but I think the the Eagle F1s are far from s**t "penny pinching" tyres. I'd have Altenzo's or something if I wanted to cheap out. 

If you absolutely have to have the very best, you've got more than just tyres to think of, and you'd be blowing all your income on your car.

Anyway, time I bow out of this chat I think :)

Edited by Matth5