Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E34 vs E39 540 Wagons

Wagon War  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some are probably aware that two Manual V8 BMW Wagons are on the market right now, An E34 and an E39, the former has had the 4.0 donk swapped out for the later 4.4, and both are converted Manuals rather than native.

My question is, which is better and why, I'm torn between the shapes, and figure that comfort and handling is probably better on the E39...  but the E34 has lower K's on both the Motor and The Chassis, 

The E34 and E39 both look sweet but still prefer the classic BMW boxy look of the E34 myself. Comfort wise ive done long trips in both with various configuration and haven't found one to be really better than the other when comparing to the same spec.  

E34 has better build quality, more basic so less to go wrong\replace and generally less failures

E39 handles noticeably better but it means more components to replace if worn, more gadgets\tech obviously. 

To me if you don't want\need the extra gizmos the E39 offers and can make do with a lesser handling but not bad handling car then go with the E34, not to mention it will probably be more valuable if you decide to sell one day. I regret selling my old 535iS.

• Like 1

Hmmm....

I think both can look good, E34 or E39 in Touring form is a tricky choice, both can be very nice. 

Probably getting a better chassis with the E39 but a lot of that can be subjective depending on suspension condition and setup, wheel and tyre combinations etc..

I would go for an E34 540i with the 4.0 M60, I think its a better engine than the M62 specifically because of the better dual chain setup, and idler sprocket, rather than that questionable plastic U guide in the valley the 4.4 uses. 

However, if that timing / vanos work has been done it's a non issue (for a while at least)

I'd go with the car that has the best service history available.

Often higher km cars have had the 'bad' stuff done so can end up being really good buys. 

i have driven that exact E34, and i have driven a 6 speed E39 540 as well though not in touring form. The E39 is  the better all round car when new, as is to be expected from a successive model. E34 has held up a lot better over time which much less to go wrong, no complicated stereo or early stages of can bus type systems, EDC to go wrong, not to mention pixels dropping out, and their worst issue being the ABS issues they have, none of which affect the E34. E34 Touring have well documented issues with the dual sunroof, as well as the tailgate loom issues shared with most BMW wagons the older ones anyways.

For both of them have a good look at the suspension, more than anything else this will define the car over all. they are both heavier cars and do wear bushes and shocks etc. E34s and E39s need not feel like the boats people say they do now when they are all new. I had my V12 E34 Touring dancing better than many E30s and E36s could. Budget for around the 1500 mark to install all new ball joints and bushings front and rear if no maintenance work has been done.  E39 does have much better rear suspension system. I had my V12 E34 Touring dancing better than many E30s could.

As for the V8s themselves, i have little experience with them, so will leave the comments on them to others. They are the same engine in both, i believe the E34 has been remapped so being lighter and with more horses....

You can see what my preference is! Have kept my preferences for looks out of it, as that is for you to decide

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_

i have driven e34,535,e34 540 , and e39 540 6 spd(all manuals). The e39 is too nice.E34 for me anytime.Exception would be e39 M5   Manual s only for me in a e34.I think i would take a 535 over a 540 too.However i must say the e34 540 may not have been a good example.The controls were "wooden" compared to my e34 535.

535i is not available in a wagon Paul, all wagons are facelift so M50 or M60 engines.

• Like 1

The E39 is the better car, whereas the E34 is the more desirable from a collectors point of view IMO. Assuming all things are equal in terms of condition etc. 

I think it comes down to numbers, alot more E39's produced than E34's and it's going to take awhile before they come uncommon. If the E39 didn't have rubbish recycled plastics and some of the quality issues they suffer from then to me it would be the superior car.

4 hours ago, 3pedals said:

And the point is older cars are desirable - so if the were both 15 years old which one would be more desirable - logical choice the better car  the Collectible argument is crock because it draws in subjective opinion and compares two things that are not equal ( the age)

bullshit....its a subjective thing anyway .As i said ,and i have driven both i WOULD choose the E34 

• Like 1

Well this is a pretty close call.... I'm leaning towards the E34 based on the look and lower Milage, and it's had every mod I'd want to do done I think.  Price is still on the high side.... watch this space

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer the look of the E34, too. And (I think) it will be a simpler car meaning hopefully lower maintenance costs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

Well this is a pretty close call.... I'm leaning towards the E34 based on the look and lower Milage, and it's had every mod I'd want to do done I think.  Price is still on the high side.... watch this space

E34 are going up in value and wagons are always going to cost more than a sedan. I think its a fair price considering what been done to it.

6 minutes ago, gjm said:

Personally, I prefer the look of the E34, too. And (I think) it will be a simpler car meaning hopefully lower maintenance costs.

Yep especially when it comes to suspension.

• Like 1

so its an unravelling thread because your point of view is not agreed with?.

You say its logical that the e39 is the "better car" Define better.For me the e34 is a better car.There are subjective and personal choices when making a car purchase.So my view that an e34 is the better car has just as much validity as your claim that the e39 is the choice.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2016 at 6:49 PM, 3pedals said:

And the point is older cars are desirable - so if the were both 15 years old which one would be more desirable - logical choice the better car  the Collectible argument is crock because it draws in subjective opinion and compares two things that are not equal ( the age)

Fair enough, the point I was making is that to me at least; good quality E34 vs good quality E39 I think that E34 has more cachet. 

Ultimately it's all subjective really. For reasons unknown certain cars and designs become desirable and interesting as they age and others less so. 

Ron, you should be comparing the v8 motors not the 6's.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is denying that the E39 on paper is superior to the E34, just as the E60 and F10 are superior to the E39 on paper, We all have reasons why we prefer the older models even though we could "upgrade".  

Being an owner of both an E34 and E39, both V8's, my personal preference is for the E34 for a variety of reasons.

1. I prefer the older square styling of the E34, maybe a trow back to the 80's when all the cool cars were hard edged and boxy.  

2. Its a more engaged drive, well the E34 in manual is hands down better than the E39 sludgy box. Having driven both in auto the E39 is far more refined, but for me its nice not great. The E34 in auto is not even close to comparable to the manual.

3. The E34 has been a much better car to own and the build quality in my opinion and experience is better. Both E39's I've owned have had much higher rates of ancillary part failures.

If you were talking M5's I think I'd lean towards the E39. I'll qualify that statement with the fact that you buy an M5 in full knowledge that it's going to come with M cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Well that just validates that you are making subjective non scientific decisions, but you can't  then turn that around to say the E34 is a better car  because you like it.  

By any accepted metric used to quantify cars in AINT  which also  means this poll is a load of subjective crap  because the bulk of the votes are emotional / subjective - not objective which was my point about 10 posts ago.

Yes the E60 is better than the E39 because it is evolution of the DNA  and who remembers all the subjective rhetoric that came out about how ugly is was and how  BMW had lost its soul - actually they are a F___ g good car if you don't get the active steering

I never stated the E34 was a better car, i don't believe one is better than the other, i made a recommendation for it depending on the requirements. 

Its a fact that the E34 is better than the E39 in some areas, vice versa, nothing subjective about it. You have stated some loose facts in areas where the E39 wins but left out areas where it doesn't, not everyone cares about having the best handling, steering etc. If you can't admit there are pros and cons to each car then you are the one who's being subjective.

nothing more to be added. 

• Like 1