Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Hybrid e46 330i. The modding starts

Was driving the ever enjoyable Orere point drive to Miranda on Saturday, and unfortunitly was in the middle of an overtaking manuvour and hit a minor bird.

The bird hit the right hand indercator at full noise, The bird exploded, my indercator housing turned into a thousand peices and actually broke out of the mount ripping itself from the wiring harness and on the way out dented the right hand fender.

poo....

So, I thought oh well nothing like a bird strike to get me off my ass and sort out my orange indercaters. So onto the net and I find a frosted clear kit containing replacement tail lights, corner markers and side indercaters. Ordered.

next on the list was the CD stacker to iPod conversion.. so off to the net again and now awaiting the Ice link system which will intergrate seemlessly with the BMW 'Business' stereo.

The projector lens and H.I.D 8000 k's (white blue) / housing / DDE are also on their way :D

After the bird strike the car is in need of a visit to the panel shop.

So the car is now booked in with Precision Autowerk (http://www.precisionautowerk.co.nz) for ... a full M3 front bumper / side skirts and if we can make it work M3 rear bumper.

A lot of work and remolding is need to make these parts fit on the car. But is now going to be well worth it :) (taking note I have a 4 door not a flare arched coupe like the m3)

The car will also get all stone chips removed and twat people opening door on car dents removed / and other restoration work. The gaurds are being flared (again :/) to cope with the rubber.

annnnnnnnd looking to right now new Tein fully adjustible coilovers to give me options when I track the car.

I will post a stage by stage progression as things happen and dig this thread up each time to post pics :) next update hopefully in 2 weeks all going to plan :)

Here is what the car looks like now. (I know some of you have seen these pics :) )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by hybrid

Who have you got the Icelink through ?

Ive tried several places on the web but they either dont answer emails or wont send overseas <_<

Who have you got the Icelink through ?

Ive tried several places on the web but they either dont answer emails or wont send overseas <_<

http://www.densionusa.com

I emailed them and they sorted it all out for me including getting the correct unit for my stereo.

Jump on their contact page..

UPDATE: lights have arrived in the country (under 48 hours! ) will install the first parts tonight and post pics

Icelink is another 12 hours away ...

Update: Ipod ice:link and smoked clear tails, side markers and corners installed. (Looks soooooo much better)

Went into size up and confirm the parts for the body kit. I was quite lucky .. they had "GTR M3" in the shop at the same time so rolled mine next to his and messured all of his m3 bits against mine.

The front bumper is going to require some medium modification to work but is whould you believe the same width .. the M3 gaurd flares dont actually flare until about 1/4 the way up the gaurd .. (yeah I know it stumped me too)

The m3 side skirts will go straight on the coupes and sedans are the same length (makes sense but it looked like the coupes where slightly shorter .. not the case :D )

The M-Tech 2 coupe rear bumper (with inset flush mount reversing sensors and without moldings) is going to go straight on with minor bumper mount adjustment ... I had the option of going to the m3 rear bumper ... but it means I would have to change to the m3 qaud exaust, A\ I'm not really keen on putting that much flow on a 330i and B\ the after market exaust systems for the m3 are about 6-8k C\ the SuperSprint is going to sound better :D

The car will get a totally new paint job to bring it back to show room condition, I picked these guys to do the work because of their amazing history with rare and exotic vehicles and very high qaulity of workmanship.

Question is .... do you guys want to wait till its finished or shall I take some teaser pics :D ???

Edited by hybrid

That's a rhetorical question...

Of course we want pics!

As hard as I have tried, I have never been able to hid one of those bastard minors, I thought it was impossible until now! Car looks V.cool!

hey i see you are getting projectors. p46s? with 8000k

can they pass wof? since its a aftermarket hid

hey dude, tried replying to your PM but it says you dont exist as a user when I hit send... ill type it here instead :)

Basically the LTSA are shitty with people sticking aftermarket HID kits in standard housing with no focusing lens (which HID really do require to control the onslaught of light)

The p46's have that focusing lens .. I have also noted that the p46's dont have the the US sidewalk flare either, so it wont fail on that.

The p46's are constructed exactly to the same specs as OEM HID housing. So as far as the WOF testing is concerned they are OEM xenon lights. (with slightly more blue hazing ;) )

hey Hybrid

thanks for your fast reply.

did u buy from jlevis or umnitza?

so to rephrase. u got d p46 with xenon and dde in them

and its a pass in the WOF standard?:bounce:

( oo btw weird about my pm. because i tried pm you before )

hey Hybrid

thanks for your fast reply.

did u buy from jlevis or umnitza?

so to rephrase. u got d p46 with xenon and dde in them

and its a pass in the WOF standard?:bounce:

( oo btw weird about my pm. because i tried pm you before )

I bought them from jlevis.

p46

with DDE

8000k bulbs

Sedan pre facelift

They are still in shipping will arrive sometime next week ... after that the car will be in the paint shop for a week or two getting the kit and other mods done. So I wont have a chance to install them till later this month

Posted Image

damn, this would be one of the phattest bimmers on the board............ :mosh:

oh and ya, fantastic photography in this pic......

yo hybird.

you got your p46s yet?

cant wait to see them.

because wondering also did you encounter any problems when installed? like the bulb out problem and flickering@?

UPDATE:

Not yet, they got bounced by USPS for being to big .. so hes had to send them again ... and I wait another 6-10 days heh ...

Precision Autowerks are just waiting on the parts to arrive from aussie by the sounds of it, I went in and changed the m3 bumper from the 02 to the 01 bumper (look exactly the same) I did this because the carbon fiber bumper carrier was a waste of money as I could use my standard carrier if I switched to the 01 bumper. (beleive me I saved a rather large sum)

otherwise the ICELink for the ipod went in sweet and so did the frosted clears :D

ps dont do 2day express shipping hehe .. $$$$

Hybrid ,

A couple of questions around the Stereo upgrade around your E46

Did the Icelink / IPod replace your CD changer or is it capable of running them in tandem ? Also , does the Icelink provide power for the Ipod.

How close is SQ compared to CD through the unit. (MP3 Sampling rates a given)

Does the factory unit have any kind of pre-outs for running additional amps for front speakers and sub. What are your plans here ?

I've been thinking about this for a replacement BMW for the wife, going down the Ipod route as well.