Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Hybrid e46 330i. The modding starts

lol! i got the email as well. saying it was too big.

had to come in 2 seperate smaller boxes.

o well just remember to post your sweet pictures.

hehe yeah ... a bit classic really :)

On another note .. just priced up .... wait for it

CSL boot :D .. is going to cost $550 US for the boot and 300ish us in shipping

Hybrid ,

A couple of questions around the Stereo upgrade around your E46

Did the Icelink / IPod replace your CD changer or is it capable of running them in tandem ? Also , does the Icelink provide power for the Ipod.

How close is SQ compared to CD through the unit. (MP3 Sampling rates a given)

Does the factory unit have any kind of pre-outs for running additional amps for front speakers and sub. What are your plans here ?

I've been  thinking about this for a replacement BMW for the wife, going down the Ipod route as well.

Did the Icelink / IPod replace your CD changer or is it capable of running them in tandem ? Also , does the Icelink provide power for the Ipod.

no .. it replaces the CD stacker totally usuing the same input into the head unit. You cant run both at the same time ... I just copy my existing CDs to my iPod anyways.

How close is SQ compared to CD through the unit. (MP3 Sampling rates a given)

The sound qaulity is exactly the same as CD (mp3 taken into account) NB: I produce music and am a bit of an audiophile, you can take my word for it with confidence. :D

Does the factory unit have any kind of pre-outs for running additional amps for front speakers and sub. What are your plans here ?

I believe there is factory amplification units to power the 12/16 odd speakers around the car ... however they are not simple RCA style connections but wires into the unit via the amps. I dont at this point plan to upgrade as im more than happy with the sound qaulity of the setup. If I do it will be just a speaker replacement and _maybe_ a 8inch sealed sub ... but im a little older these days and I've done my fair run of ICE systems over the years.

I've been thinking about this for a replacement BMW for the wife, going down the Ipod route as well.

Seriosuly I can't give this option enough praise... my flatmate has done a similar setup in his GSR and we both love our new found tune selection! seriously .. CDs are the biggest pain in the ass ..Its great being able to take my ipod off my work docking bay and contnue to listen to my music in the car .. then remove it and place it on my home dock and continue listening there ... I really don't know why I didn't do this mod earlier on! hehe

Edited by hybrid

yo hybrid.

i got my p46 installed today.

i guess the only downside to them are that theyre DOT so the majority of the light output is on the right hand side. compared to the standard european one where its on the left hand side.

hows urs coming along

yo hybrid.

i got my p46 installed today.

i guess the only downside to them are that theyre DOT so the majority of the light output is on the right hand side. compared to the standard european one where its on the left hand side.

hows urs coming along

Not good, still no arrival in the mail :(

"Your item is being processed by customs in NEW ZEALAND. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

Bloody customs, time to rattle cage.

... I'm thinking I should of just got it on 2day now .. Ill send ya a PM ... wouldn't mind hooking up with ya mate, nice to have another modding e46 around these parts :D

Edited by hybrid

yoyo,

i think they may have sent you a letter about paying customs tax :banghead: for the p46.

i had to pay it for one of my headlight. $64.

its a random thing they do when overseas merchandises come in.

when u get the letter just ring in and pay it. the stuff usually comes the next day

yoyo,

i think they may have sent you a letter about paying customs tax :banghead: for the p46.

i had to pay it for one of my headlight. $64.

its a random thing they do when overseas merchandises come in.

when u get the letter just ring in and pay it. the stuff usually comes the next day

yeah normally they ring us ... rang them and they said you have to wait till its processed ... they are being slow about it .. customs "f**king up the flow since ... well ever"

just have to hurray up and wait I guest ....

im also waiting for all the M3 stuff to arrive in the country before the big body work mission starts ..

it seems getting anything that involves importation of parts for me takes soooo much time hehe

UPDATE:

Well when it rains it pours haha ..

All the M3 body bits have arrived. The car is going next week to have all body work done and will be away for a week or so having this done.

The p46 8000k Xenon / DDE lights finally turned up after customs mucking around for the last 6 days and NZpost getting their sh*t sorted. I wont be using USPS / NZ Post again. the 70 odd dollars I saved in postage I had to pay in 'handling fees' anyway, it turned out more expensive and time consuming ... pretty classic. I dont know how NZ Post can really be taken seriosly as a carrier.

FedEx have there own customs agents on site. As soon as the package arrives, they give you a call, you pay tax and it gets sent out same day. no 'handling' fees and no tax on 'handling fees' (made me laugh too)

moral of the story ... use FedEx

Guest Andrew

have had great experiance with Fedex also - very straight forward.

How long in the body shop? Supercharger on way?

have had great experiance with Fedex also - very straight forward.

How long in the body shop? Supercharger on way?

Itll be in the shop (as of next week) for 1 to 1 1/2 weeks .. they are not sure at this point as its something they haven't done before. But I have supplied them with countless pages of literature on the topic of 46 m3 bumpers on sedans.

oh and look what finally turned up today :)

Posted Image

I'll test fit them tonight. But most likely wont go in till after the body work.

Edited by hybrid

haha week and a half my ass! lets see you whinging in 2 months time :D

Teaser:

hehe .. pitty that one has the dirty aero kit side skirts and 17inch wheels :D

... the only thing im going to whinge about in two months time is sh*t weather and my first run in with a touch parker ... trust me .. they will die. :rambo: oh and major birds ... :P

Edited by hybrid

UPDATE:

Projector46 Xenon / DDE install.

OMFG what a mission!

Spent a long time working out how to trick BMWs 'lights out' signal to stop it coming up on the dash. Other problems we ran into were the fact the car had no park lights (DDE replaces these) the car went into panic mode and turned on the front indercators as a backup ... made me laugh some what. So we wired up a false park blub to run on the open loop ... that fixed everything .. including the 'lights out' on the dash ... I dont know what all the yanks complain about sometimes ... its simple electronics 101.

its 2am ... im beat, so I wont be too descriptive this time round .. ill take some better photos tomorrow night but here are some.

Posted Image

Removed all the existing headlights

Posted Image

Posted Image

DDE wiring

Posted Image

Running the loom

Posted Image

Testing the loom

Posted Image

They look green / blue in this photo but I can assure you they are very blue / purple / white

Posted Image

A lame shot of the DDEs on only.

enjoy..

monday is bodykit / repaint day :D

Edited by hybrid

Well cars in with the body shop ... and im rollin high rider in this for the next week :/

Seriously, im like missing 1000hp or something!

Posted Image

Edited by hybrid

its a 1.3 shitzu ... at least its new with 8k on the clock ...

Edited by hybrid

UPDATE:

Well .. I get a call this afternoon inviting me down to check things out. Seriously Precision Autowerk are the best bunch of passionate people that are _really_ interested in customers need / wants .. offering only the best ways to do things for your money and your vehicles longevity. And man do they work fast.

No I am not getting a discount for saying that nor am I paid.

Ok I'm going to be a total cock tease here :D I dont want to give too much away looks wise ... I _will_ post a full suit of pics when its done... the before and during shots etc etc

First off:

Instead of cutting into the bumper like first thought ... they had a couple of m3 guards lying around the stock piles (thanks "GTR M3" :D ) they cut the leading edge off the guards and welded them onto mine. These guys really dont like using bog of any kind as it causes ripples. So its all metal work for them.

On with the show.

What time is it ..... "Time to un-pimp ze auto!"

Posted Image

M3 Guard Weld

Posted Image

M3 side skirt that just popped straight on ??!!?? aparently was a tight fit. The side has been flared to help my wheels a little :)

Posted Image

oh .. and an addition to the plan .. We will see if we can make it fit .. more fabrication but hey ... im going balls out on this one ;)

Posted Image

Oh Shhhhhnap!

Posted Image

Thats it for now will update as things progress ....

Oh one last thing ... who can guess whats happening in here .. (it may not be apparent from the photo.) Whoever gets it right, ill give em a free photoshoot of their ride (Auckland only sorry folks )

Posted Image

I'm going to go with Remote window winding

anything else (sounds etc) just too obvious

no need for a photo shoot, but I would like to be right

(you can lie)