Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

E53 X5 wet rear floor

Hopped in the X5 this morning and when helping my youngest lad get in noticed that the left rear mat was wet. Lifted it out and noticed the floor was sodden. Checked the other side and same thing!

The X5 had been parked outside during the massive amounts of rain we've had... looks like this issue: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/61235-wet-floor-not-drainage-block-fixed.html 

Taking it back in again to get it sorted. Oh well...

Yep common in E39's too. Usually caused after someone with no knowledge of has been into the door to fix something.

Incidentally had an E39 in at work a couple of weeks with light & radio gremlins. Car was saturated inside. Whole interior stripped out, carpets dried, radio & LCM dried out. Back together a week later & everything working. Culprit - both rear door vapour barriers not sealed. Guys at work looked at me sideways when i told them what the problem would be.

This week have got a Volvo XC90 also with electrical gremlins - intermittent dash, brake lights staying on & saturated carpet on R/H/S. Again stripped out to dry. Culprit this time - some muppet has fitted a reverse camera, in running the cables down the R/H A pillar, has dislodged the sunroof drain tube from the rubber sleeve that routes the water outside. Water consequently running down through the Central Electronic Module & f##king it. 

Some people need to have more attention to detail...

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Grant. Sheesh! Some after market add-ons crews are rough as guts and do things in a hurry.

Just finished drying the carpet and mats. :\

I've had the 2 left window regulators replaced and front L was dry so prob not my garage to blame.

The E39 seals have been known to give up by themsleves. Stick them back on with butyl tape (or Wurth Dab-Off window sealer).

E39 fronts are usually OK, but not the rears,

3 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

That issue is not unique to BMW  most cars have had barrier type door liners since the 80's . It's just rubbish workmanship by the moron that's been in there.

Yup i had an 80's Honda Accord many years ago that had the same thing thing with carpets. It had a plastic liner but with inbuilt channels to route the water. This had been ripped. Took me a while to work out the culprit as I hadn't come across barriers causing this issue before then.

Should find out tomorrow what the story is/was ....

Hoping for a respite from issues across the 2 BMWS after this one. :) A month or 2 would be good.

Are you sure you didn't take you X5 "off-roading" in a puddle with all this wet weather?

• Like 2

come on Andy, that's seal-clubbing, really. :lol:  We all want an X5, even if we don't know it, or are unlikely to ever show it worse than a skifield carpark or wet grassy field. B)

It's the automotive equivalent of platform shoes (20s with 315s anybody?). Nothing is cooler than that.

But platform shoes aren't gumboots and they certainly aren't waders.

So no I've been avoiding puddles studiously but the sky is more difficult to evade.

Thought one who lives in Wellington would  be used to using an umbrella  :lol:

a common misconception.Umbrellas are of questionable reliability in Wellington,un less mr Flybuys buys you a  BLUNT umbrella

• Like 1

Ah so a thread on an X5 water ingress issue has turned to an umbrella debate...:P