Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

Another e36 - My 328 Beauty (SOLD)

did you test the thermostat before installation, Dave?  It's non uncommon for them to be coozed from new, could be failing to open.

bled the cooling system?  Possibility of air lock.

HTH

16 hours ago, aja540i said:

Did you put the fan belt back on? ;)

lol - yes, thanks - fan runs off the pump of course. ;)

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

did you test the thermostat before installation, Dave?  It's non uncommon for them to be coozed from new, could be failing to open.

bled the cooling system?  Possibility of air lock.

HTH

I didn't test the thermostat (and now recall reading about boiling it!) but I think it's the latter, an air-lock of sorts. These things are a PITA to bleed!

Now on the second attempt and 20 mins in, with engine at temp, I still have air bubbles and no hot air in the cabin. I've even elevated the front of the car so the bleeder hole is the highest point. Squeezing hoses and all.

Attempt 3 when she's cooled down again.

On 15/10/2016 at 8:02 PM, M3AN said:

Right so "finished" the cooling system today and something's not right:

• Warms up to temp in good time and holds in the middle of the gauge whilst idling
  • Check control is fine
  • No hot air to mention from heater (first sign something is amiss)
  • Within 300m of driving temps start to rise fast and car need to be stopped
  • Check control now says to check coolant level
  • Coolant level is fine once it's cooled down enough to check
  • Clutch fan seems fine
  • System isn't leaking

New radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump, hoses. So something ain't right. Any ideas?

So, this is now sorted and she's officially a "daily" now. Was a matter of getting the system properly bled, there was air remaining in the system. Love the self bleeding system on the M3, this manual system sucks balls. But I'm there now, heater blows hot and the temp gauge doesn't budge from centre.

New synthetic oil and filter to match also done this weekend as well as a wash, she's looking as good as she's going to get I think (aka pretty average). Fuel and spark seem fine but I'll check them out over time. Idle is perfect and pull is what I'd expect for a slush-box.

So far $2,500 in and pretty happy.

Trans oil and filter next, Glenn's on my list for a call this week and if the price is right I'll get his guys to do that for me.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Is the rad hot? I know it's silly, but I once had to diagnose a race engine that was overheating. The guy who installed it left the dust covers in the coolant pipes....

And have you bled it with the temp set to 32°C?

11 hours ago, jom said:

Is the rad hot? I know it's silly, but I once had to diagnose a race engine that was overheating. The guy who installed it left the dust covers in the coolant pipes....

And have you bled it with the temp set to 32°C?

Cheers Jo, yes sorted now - was a matter of bleeding it fully. I flushed the new radiator with a garden hose for some time before I installed it so was pretty sure the passageways were clear and fortunately it did get hot! :)

Hey Dave do u still need a new OBC? I found one in my box of random stuff (see my for sale post).

If u wana come round try it sometime and see how the pixels are happy for you to take it! - free :) 

Im just not sure if the pixel condition is any better but worth a shot I guess

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, qube said:

Hey Dave do u still need a new OBC? I found one in my box of random stuff (see my for sale post).

If u wana come round try it sometime and see how the pixels are happy for you to take it! - free :) 

Im just not sure if the pixel condition is any better but worth a shot I guess

Yep, I saw that post but free is better! :) You home tonight? I would like to get that sorted.

To celebrate getting her back on the road I added 15hp. Well, at least that's how I translated the Taiwanese auction description!

LipSpoiler01.jpg

LipSpoiler02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

On 17/10/2016 at 11:38 PM, jom said:

Jetta lip? that's what I did...

$40 eBay lip! :)

So I failed a warrant today (expected) and one of the things they mentioned was the LCA bushing on the left side was screwed. I'll take a look on the weekend to assess for myself but in case I do need to replace, should I be using '96+ M3 LCA bushings (stronger)? Apparently 3.0 M3 bushings improve castor (they're eccentric), should I consider them at all?

On 20/10/2016 at 9:14 PM, M3AN said:

So I failed a warrant today (expected) and one of the things they mentioned was the LCA bushing on the left side was screwed. I'll take a look on the weekend to assess for myself but in case I do need to replace, should I be using '96+ M3 LCA bushings (stronger)? Apparently 3.0 M3 bushings improve castor (they're eccentric), should I consider them at all?

So I checked this a week or so ago actually and noticed that whilst both bushes were okay they were different from one and other, not a set. New bushes due this week and then warrant and rego time. :)

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Bonus. The CD changer in the boot has a cassette and a bunch of (ripped) CD's.

Thanks to @BreakMyWindow for the suggestion to check! :)

Now I just need to work out how to activate it.

Sorry, wrong topic,wrong reply!:wub:

Edited by jom

^ Nevertheless, relevant advice for me some 4 weeks ago! :) 

Might be a bit late but poly bushes for the LCA's work well. I like the Super Pro versions and get the offset ones for more castor. Worked a treat in my E36.

Just now, Herbmiester said:

Might be a bit late but poly bushes for the LCA's work well. I like the Super Pro versions and get the offset ones for more castor. Worked a treat in my E36.

Thanks , yes I'd considered both poly and offset and went with OEM M3 centred versions. For my needs and with the slushbox I couldn't justify an alignment or any more NVH. 

When I do the M3 however . . . :D

Yay! Got a warrant so I could also renew her license! All legal now.

Gearbox next, need to call Glenn.

So today I fixed my coolant level sensor and my unreadable check control display.

Perfect, no more dead pixels or dash light!

AnalogueClock.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, qube said:

Im guessing the obc i gave u was also no good? 

Afraid not. I tried to fix both but the results were poor. I have an 18 button that I'll put in some time when I pick up a connector for it. 

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:12 PM, M3AN said:

NP. $200 including fan cowl, expansion tank, level sender and ancillary hoses. Really good value!

Tank and sender are surplus to requirements and available if anyone needs them. 

I might come steal yours or does @richard have any more deals like this?