Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

Another e36 - My 328 Beauty (SOLD)

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, M3AN said:

To celebrate getting her back on the road I added 15hp. Well, at least that's how I translated the Taiwanese auction description!

LipSpoiler01.jpg

LipSpoiler02.jpg

Drove past this last night, look pretty good. Should do a photo shoot with the 3 36s sometime, mine will be ready in a week or two

5 hours ago, francoisv said:

Drove past this last night, look pretty good. Should do a photo shoot with the 3 36s sometime, mine will be ready in a week or two

it looks good from a distance and from a few angles but not many lol! Needs a clean too, maybe you had sun-strike? ;)

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

it looks good from a distance and from a few angles but not many lol! Needs a clean too, maybe you had sun-strike? ;)

I was on my Vespa with the wind breezing through my hair and eyes, so maybe haha

• Like 2

A fine gentleman here (thanks Mark!) donated his old stock M3 suspension to my 328 adventure so I'm in the process of building up the bit I need. I'll be doing the rear first, then front then sway bars. Sure, ideal to do it all at once but time and budgets don't allow that. I'll only get the alignment done once I've done the front end.

The new and/or refurbed bits... I couldn't be bothered getting the shocks, springs and dust covers out for the photo...

Rear_Suspension_Bits.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Does M3 suspension etc fit a non m e36? Thought I read somewhere it didn’t. 

Will be be watching progress!

15 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Does M3 suspension etc fit a non m e36? Thought I read somewhere it didn’t. 

Will be be watching progress!

Yep, bolts straight up. You need M3 top hats for the front but I have those also.

Well at least that's what I've been led to believe! :)

The 328 got some love today with the rear end suspension overhaul under way.

I only got one side done this afternoon because some tool had installed one of the rear shocks the wrong way around (smh). No worries, the other side is an easy task for tomorrow afternoon.

I needed a 600mm breaker bar to undo the bottom bolts, electric impact just couldn't cut it.

This is the LH shock installed incorrectly and the bottom bolt was stuffed into the bushing... I couldn't get any purchase on the bolt.

LRReversed_Shock.jpg

This is how it should be installed.

RRCorrect_Shock.jpg

So I had to spend 30 mins cutting away the bushing with a Stanley knife, a good result only cost me two blades.

LRBushing_Cut.jpg

• Haha 1

And I disconnected the exhaust silencer flap and bunged the vacuum hose.

That's probably 10 rwhp for sure.

• Like 2

Finished the right hand side suspension, it actually took me longer to remove the CD changer, carpet and insulation to get to the top mount than it did to put in the new shock and spring.

It all needs to settle, it's riding a little high at the moment but it's noticeably stiffer than the 'Motorsport' setup.

Will order the front parts before the weekend.

Edited by M3AN

All the bits for the front end suspension arrived today.

If you're replacing all the hardware you need a lot of bits! The 328 will love me for it though. Strut tower reinforcements will be going in as well.

Front_Suspension_Bits.jpg

• Like 1

would i be able to get a list of all those parts / supplier? i'd really like to also overhaul my 328's suspension.

4 hours ago, Drea//Mer said:

would i be able to get a list of all those parts / supplier? i'd really like to also overhaul my 328's suspension.

Yep, but a lot depends on what you're starting with and want to do. Send me a PM with that info and I'll share what I can.

Front suspension went in today, no big dramas.

Holy crap it feels good! The increased castor really transforms the feel of the car, also the whole car doesn't rock when I get in it!

Need an alignment and still need to swap the rear ARB for the M3 one but waiting on bushes for that.

No legs...

Old_Out.jpg

New legs...

New_In.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Michael. said:

M3 struts?

Yep, M3 everything from the hub up + sway bars. Arms and kingpins are still 328.

Alignment on Friday so we'll see how close they can get it to -1 degree camber on each side.

Sweet as. Its a nice upgrade path from stock suspension.

I found it when I did my 325i v8 to m3 evo stuff, big differences you can appreciate.

Even looks better from the side with increased front axle caster, quite a visual change! 

• Like 1

Yes, it both looks and feels better. I can see why Evo top hats are recommended for any E36 suspension setup (castor plates aside).

For the sake of ~$300 for all of the ancillary bits it's a very good upgrade and I've not over capitalised. I've now done the entire cooling system and suspension for less than $600 which I'm very happy with.

And it's all miles and wear and tear that's not going onto the M3, that's the real purpose.

• Like 2

So, hit a rock/brick on the motorway and it split the oil pan.

It's only a tiny fracture, I wonder if it can be fixed in-situ?

Fracture.jpg

Not by welding. You will end up with an internal engine fire or explosion. Most adhesives and glues will not stick to oil contaminated surfaces and will not tolerate hot / cold cycles- another sump & gasket for a reliable fix

• Like 2

Yes, I suspected as much, thanks Glenn.

First step is to drain it, clean it all up and have a proper look. In parallel pricing up the replacement bits.

Lucky I've got time on my hands at the moment! But I'm losing cold beer fast, no mains power to the house and Vector says the feed to the property is fine... main line is buried under the 25m concrete driveway... yay.

• Like 1

can't weld it on the car but if you pull it off and clean it up i can weld up the crack for you. (good time for wings and baffles for when you take it racing!) ;)

• Thanks 1

Cheers Andrew.

Am looking at options for a pre-loved replacement, if I can get one for a reasonable cost I'll probably run with that but if not, I'll tap you on the shoulder. 

If I even thought about taking this one to a track it would refuse to start I'm sure! :)

add another cover below it and make a loop to suck the oil back in to the top. problem solved

3 minutes ago, qube said:

add another cover below it and make a loop to suck the oil back in to the top. problem solved

I was thinking of wrapping it in Gladwrap and then securing that with duct tape, should be good for another 150k I reckon.