Another e36 - My 328 Beauty (SOLD)

14 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Care to divulge the pickapart?

No problem at all...

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Onehunga Zebra?

Yep!

• Like 1

Might want to pick the glass off first then!

• Confused 1

Okay, so @Palazzo's post above confused me... I'm not sure if it means that Zebra Onehunga has more broken windows than other parts places?

But I went back today to pick up another passenger seat cushion to put into the driver's side (less wear) and low and behold that second car was full of broken glass! Coincidence or have you been there recently Scott?

Anyway, the 328 is running again now after the fine weather on the weekend allowed me to complete the job. Lining up a subframe and steering rack by yourself on your back isn't the easiest of jobs I can assure you!

It's running fine and holding oil pressure so that's good but I think there's a leak so I'll have to hoist it up again and have a look. Hopefully it's something simple like the sump plug just not being tight enough.

Somewhat more dramatically, about 15 mins into my test drive and the throttle stuck open! Brakes aren't good enough to fight that and I had to shut the car down. Sorry to all those around me that had to deal with me dealing with that! Pulled over somewhere safe and checked the obvious things, throttle cable working fine... hmm.

Walked home (lucky my test drive was circuits of my neighbourhood), put the tools in the M3 and headed back out. Took the intake pipes off and found a rubber gasket stuck in the throttle butterfly holding it open. It's a gasket that I did take out when I took it apart to do the sump and I put back in the same place assuming that it belongs where I took it from... problem is that the gasket doesn't belong there at all. Somebody had obviously worked on it in the past, put it all back together, had that gasket left over and just bunged it where it fit. It's actually a valve cover oil filler gasket... ?

So gasket now removed from butterfly and car running fine again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I now have 4 interiors for 2 cars... I'm meant to be getting rid of stuff! ?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 9:25 PM, BimmerShaun said:

You don't happen to have any of those cool interiors for a sedan?

I'm afraid not but all the front seats are interchangeable, only the rears and door cards differ. A set of front seats from a wrecker are ~$80,

If I were looking for a sedan interior I'd want to check out that M3 sedan Brent has... not sure what's still available but matching nappa leather seats and door cards would be a good score. M3 (nappa) leather is so much better quality than non-M3 leather it's really quite amazing. Sedan stuff is also normally way less expensive than coupe stuff (a set of 4 good condition coupe cards is $400+ whereas sedan cards, still from an M3, should be around $200). Sedan front seats from an M3? $250, Vaders from a coupe? $600+.

I do have a big roll of brand new M Rain upholstery for anybody kicking off a project.... and some incomplete Recaro SR3's for an E30/6...

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Oh, and I like to treat the old girl well.

A new oil filter (obviously) and the prescribed amount of Penrite HPR5 5w40 was used to fill her up but before that I threw 8 litres of this through the system to flush it out until it ran golden (edit: no filter, sump plug hand tight, tip in 4l and start/idle the car for 15 seconds, drain 3l, add the remaining 4l, run car for 60 seconds, drain it all).

$20 for 4 litres from Repco at 50% off and I can't complain... and it's called "Ultraclean" so it must be good at cleaning... :D

FlushOil.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 9:30 PM, M3AN said:

And there's another set there, in the car right next door which are a little worse for wear and probably a bit damp but for around $80, still a steal!

I was there twice last week, first time with no tools for some side indicators, went back the next day and someone had tried to get the window reg out and failed, plus smashed glass all over the seat.

And then I missed a Boston green msport front bumper with splitter by 10 min, doh!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I was there twice last week, first time with no tools for some side indicators, went back the next day and someone had tried to get the window reg out and failed, plus smashed glass all over the seat.

And then I missed a Boston green msport front bumper with splitter by 10 min, doh!

I see this all too often unfortunately.

Someone destroys about 5 parts trying to get the 1 part they want.

Yip. They’d also ripped off the steering column surround, but left the wheel which worked out ok.

13 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Hmmm this would save me a lot of ballache re: my Sportster CS / M Rain project. I read in your M3 plog that at least one seat is complete - assume the other still needs retrimming to the same?

I'm interested in your project... tell me more.

I've got a whole new interior that need to be retrimmed. I got a couple of Recaros done but I don't think I'll use those.

So, touch wood it looks like any oil drips were from what I spilled rather than what the sump spilled. Had a good look around underneath today when it was both hot and cold, nothing of note. Cleaned it up as best I could and will leave it to sit over a bit of cardboard tonight to confirm.

It's been an interesting exercise this sump, not something I'd recommend for fun but it does give you a good appreciation of how the front end all hangs together.

Probably need another alignment now as it's a little bit left down which drives me crazy.

Thanks to @sweetm3 and @BimmerShaun for the tools and parts and to everybody else for your suggestions and support! :)

On 6/19/2018 at 4:32 PM, M3AN said:

So, touch wood it looks like any oil drips were from what I spilled rather than what the sump spilled. Had a good look around underneath today when it was both hot and cold, nothing of note. Cleaned it up as best I could and will leave it to sit over a bit of cardboard tonight to confirm.

Passed the cardboard test, not a drop so I'm signing this job off as successfully complete! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Love this thread, good stuff bud.

• Thanks 1

And pics of the new seats front and rear... considering these look nearly new and my old ones looked (and felt) terrible this is a HUGE upgrade... really like the Motorsport fabric as well. ? ?

NewFrontSeats.jpg

NewRearSeats.jpg

• Like 11

There’s a set in good condition for a sedan at Zebra in Manukau. Just need a clean, drivers seat is out of the car though, so beat the rain (real, not m).

This is a generally my forgotten about car which is fine for a 2k daily. However it's certainly getting more time/love than the M3...

• totally replaced interior (abandoned M3 project + used from Zebra)
  • totally replaced suspension w/M3 inc. used struts, springs and bars w/all new mounts, bushes and links
  • entirely new cooling system rad, pump, therm, hoses etc. (new OEM + alu rad)
  • aftermarket wheels and new tyres (17's forged BBS RGR + cheap Pirellis)

For the sum total of ~$850.

Now I've found the rock that caused me to replace the sump also caused a hairline fracture in the steering rack. Either that or I caused it when replacing the sump? I don't think I was that violent!

I have the great condition old rack out of my M3 sitting in the garage and I've just picked up a "comprehensive" PS refresh kit from FCP  (~NZ$300 delivered). NOTE: this ended up being a LHD only kit!!

So in the next few weeks (hopefully - the PS leak is small so I have time) I'll have new interior, suspension, cooling and steering for close to 3.5k all in including wheels and new tyres. Happy with that.

I need to top up the gearbox, it's slipping so hope to do that at the same time (and with the same fluid, bonus).

FCP bits - which ended up being a LHD kit. ?

328_PS_Refresh_Parts.jpg

Edited by M3AN
Updated to reflect FCP kit was LHD only
  • Like 2

Having ignorantly purchased a LHD refresh kit for the power steering it ended up costing me nothing but a little of my time. FCP Euro took back the LHD parts, refunded me and even paid for return shipping, how good is that!

Because the crush washers went back with the lines I had to get them locally and BMW NZ charges over $3 each which is criminal. I should have ordered them from abroad and waited.

Nevertheless, it all went in on the weekend so now I have a fresh power steering system (including rack) to add to all the other maintenance items - at this rate it's getting more love than the M3 at the moment...

• totally replaced interior (abandoned M3 project + used from Zebra)
  • totally replaced suspension w/M3 inc. used struts, springs and bars w/all new mounts, bushes and links
  • entirely new cooling system rad, pump, therm, hoses etc. (new OEM + alu rad)
  • aftermarket wheels and new tyres (17's forged BBS RGR + cheap Pirellis)
  • replaced steering rack, reservoir, hoses, bolts, washers and fluid

Alignment today and it drives straight again!

That was a bit of practice for when I come to put the Z3 rack in the M3 sometime soon...

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

great result, Dave!

• Thanks 1

Ugh, the poor baby wouldn't start today... used it yesterday evening no problem.

It seems like fuel or ignition... starter tries hard for a few seconds, engine turns but doesn't fire, starter then just goes click, click, click like it knows no matter how hard it tries it's not gong to work.

Will plug it in on Friday to see what I can find.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, M3AN said:

Ugh, the poor baby wouldn't start today... used it yesterday evening no problem.

It seems like fuel or ignition... starter tries hard for a few seconds, engine turns but doesn't fire, starter then just goes click, click, click like it knows no matter how hard it tries it's not gong to work.

Will plug it in on Friday to see what I can find.

So, cam position sensor... thank God for computer diagnostics... that would have been one of the the last things I checked for a non-start.

A trip to Zebra and $15 later new sensor secured. Lucky because it was the only 6 cylinder E36/34/39 that they had which share the same sensor. Unlucky because that 320i had been in a front end collision and the hood wouldn't open or stay up by itself. Lucky because I'm skinny.

Replaced the sensor and the car started immediately, nice. Having said that it now throws a different CPS code (#65) which is 'always present' (meaning it fails the POST) but no noticeable symptoms. I'll drive it a bit and see what happens... I'm not bothered if it causes no problems, it's probably marginally out of range on the expected resistance.

At this stage I'm considering this exercise a win. And it was a sunny day in May.

Edit: it's broke again... same CPS code and no start... ?

Edited by M3AN

The pleasures of a $2k car...

As above I replaced the CPS, car started fine multiple times, still had a static CPS code (#65 which is apparently very common), a little while later and the car wouldn't start again.

Had to wait until today to have another look... car started first time... argh.

So who knows? I can't really rely on the car starting but it's impossible to diagnose anything whilst it is starting fine... ?

Edited by M3AN

On 6/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, M3AN said:

So who knows? I can't really rely on the car starting but it's impossible to diagnose anything whilst it is starting fine... ?

Spent some time with her today and made some progress...

Non-start looks like it might be a general electrical problem, CPS code might just be because it's one of the more sensitive sensors.

The car started again first time but I'm getting some interesting battery results so I've charged and recorded state and we'll see what it's like in the morning. I am getting ~12.5v steady and ~14.6v running but I'm still suspicious as I've also pulled a couple of dead fuses... ?

She also had developed a terrible cat/exhaust rattle, like something heavy was loose inside. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer before the muffler was loose, perhaps I didn't torque it properly when I did the rear ARB bushes? ?

Edited by M3AN