Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

N54 Walnut Media blast Wellington

Has anyone in Wellington had their N54 intake ports cleaned? If so where in Welly and how much. Tried Jeff Gray and the Service manager said he had never heard of the process and was very skeptical that it needed to be done. 

• Like 1

not sure what why you are wanting to get it done but go see kapati vapour blasting. 

Vapour blasting will do a better job of cleaning with out damaging any surfases. 

I have gone alot of research and have a vapour blast unit on the way from england. 

it will do the job 

not sure what why you are wanting to get it done but go see kapati vapour blasting. 

I am unfamiliar with the vapour blast process but having spent decades using walnut media to clean brass cases I cannot see how it can damage the ports or the valves. As to the why, pretty simple really just do a Google search on the before and after pictures of an N54 Cylinder head. The combination of direct injection and an average PCV system means a lot of carbon fouling in the intake valves and intake ports. 

Last time I took the inlet manifold off my 328 the ports and valves looked like new (at 180k). Perhaps because of a diet of 100% BP 98?

27 minutes ago, jom said:

Last time I took the inlet manifold off my 328 the ports and valves looked like new (at 180k). Perhaps because of a diet of 100% BP 98?

Different engine

• Like 1

How many Kms on that? 

Were you having symptoms? 

How does it feel now?

To be clear that's not my car, just a photo of the before and after on a US 50k mile car. I have found out First Class European in Petone can do the walnut blast for $230.

We used to use Redex to decoke. Favourite on Jaguar sixes...

Spray half a can into the intake with engine off. Let it sit, then start engine, spray into intake with engine running.

The problem is they are a direct injected engine, meaning unlike a port injection engine there is no fuel being sprayed at the valve to keep it clean. Most manufacturers have this issue, including Mitsubishi GDI and VW TFSI.

On 03/10/2016 at 11:35 AM, Herbmiester said:

To be clear that's not my car, just a photo of the before and after on a US 50k mile car. I have found out First Class European in Petone can do the walnut blast for $230.

That sounds like bloody good value. I'll be keen to hear how it goes.

I will wait until the boss gets back as he is very good, not so sure about the staff when it comes to the complicated stuff.

what about Seafoam?  It works well, though unsure if folks are using it on N54s.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:51 AM, Herbmiester said:

I will wait until the boss gets back as he is very good, not so sure about the staff when it comes to the complicated stuff.

Hey mate, did you get this done?

Yes had it done but it looked like an average job, will not be going back.

Did it make any difference to the car?

Sheldon the owner of first class was good but had an accident (wrote off a kit car) and was unable to work. His lackeys were definitely monkeys. Left the pollen filter cover of my Audi, resulting in the passenger foot well filling with water during an over night storm on a roadtrip up north.  When confronted about it, the lackeys tried to deny that the cars ever had a cover (Google was my friend there). I think others had similar experiences and first class went under this year. Shame really.

• Like 1

Are there any recommendations for someone who'll do this to a M54 in Auckland?

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Are there any recommendations for someone who'll do this to a M54 in Auckland?

Some oother forum members have used BMWorkshop in Grey Lynn: 

Just now, gjm said:

Some oother forum members have used BMWorkshop in Grey Lynn: 

Thank you for that. I'm in touch with them for something else already, so might lump this in.

• Like 1