Sign in to follow this  
E36_Turbo

E36 Revival!

Well, after much thought, time and research, i'm about to attack this project of mine.

As some may remember, this car was my Brothers, King Arthur, i think was his user name building a 1000hp Turbo project. 

Since my brother passed away last year, he gave this car to me, and only asked me to put it back together. As much as i want to run it with Forced Induction, that won't be happening just yet, and i'm now in the process of putting her back on the road, it'll be a long arduous task, but well worth the experience, and i want to do this for my big brother ?. ( we'll hit that turbo E36 soon...do not worry )...

So, Let's do this ??

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

What a great tribute.

Your brother would be proud.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zero said:

What a great tribute.

Your brother would be proud.

It's been weighing on my mind, now is the time, i trust it will look amazing again, and drive great again...just don't want such a lovely car to waste away, thank you for the kind words mate ? Will update the thread as i go

Good on you. I'll be watching this one progress with interest. Enjoy the process and take lots of pics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kulgan said:

Good on you. I'll be watching this one progress with interest. Enjoy the process and take lots of pics.

Cheers mate, i shall do that, no doubt it'll be a memorable experience ?

Been a bit slow with progress, but here's a small, but significant update, finally got my hands on a Full E36 ZF 5spd manual conversion from one of my good contacts, removed off a factory 328i manual. It came with a strange looking Momo Gear Knob haha, i guess it'll grow on me before i get a OEM Style replacement. Still looking to add a few things, will be replacing the transmission mounts prior to installing, although they don't look half bad, the Clutch / Flywheel could do with a rebuild, but i'm leaning toward acquiring one of the NZAD Stg 2 kits, or Speedfactors Competition package. Tied down with work atm so i've just pulled them out of the car yesterday evening, will wait to clean them hopefully next week, in the mean time, i must source other little things ? ?. Onward and upward from here ?image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by E36_Turbo
?
  • Like 1

nice work, keep at it.  Fulfilling your Brother's wish must bring pride and indeed some kind of catharsis for your family.

thread subscribed!

• Like 1

On 15 October 2016 at 6:51 PM, Olaf said:

nice work, keep at it.  Fulfilling your Brother's wish must bring pride and indeed some kind of catharsis for your family.

thread subscribed!

Thanks for the kind words, it'll be a nice tribute, really hoping to get it up and legally running heading into the summer, have some more updates coming this week hopefully ?

Not much happening atm, however i did take a brief look at the transmission, and noticed the guibo had the slightest crack in the rubber and starting to perish, i haven't removed it to get the part number which is hidden on the opposite side, in other news i've ordered some new Slotted Brake Disc Rotors from Darren at NZAD, also need to acquire Brake pads from them, but i am distracted with many other priorities haha.

Still looking at Clutch and Flywheel options, i really wanted to get a lot done this long weekend, but whatever i have atm is what i'll work with for now. 

Adjustable suspension is on the to do list, just researching and trying to figure out what is best suited for me. I did contact Speedfactor, regarding the XYZ suspension, but i haven't finalised anything. Patience is key here, has anyone had any experience with running XYZ adjustable suspension?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by E36_Turbo
  • Like 1

Apologies on the delayed posts, been so busy with everyday life, so much that i barely made much progress. However....thanks to the helpful team at NZAD, Speedfactor, Bmworkshop and Redline Performance, i managed to source many parts for the build. Still have a few small things to tick off the list, but will hopefully achieve that this week or later.

Acquired a Competition Clutch / lightened Flywheel setup from Speedfactor, they had an Extra lightweight Flywheel option, but wasn't sure how that would perform? But im sure this setup will do the job just fine ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Installed the new Brake Disc Rotors the other day, the Right Front and Rear Rotors didn't want to budge, fairly well rusted on after sitting for a few years haha, but after some persistence they popped off ?.  The brake pads had plenty of life left in them, so "maybe"...i'll replace them, or just keep the new sets for future days?? The Shocks are just for show...pretty much dead hahaha, im finding new things i didn't know about, but thats part of the joys of working on projects i guess. I did remove the stickers...so don't worry about that ?.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Decided to get the BC Gold adjustable suspension....don't ask me why ? Haha, but i'm sure this will be fine for the mean time. I would prefer some Bilsteins, or maybe Koni, but i'm going to trial these and see how they perform. There's no real negative feed back, and if anything...it's gotta be an upgrade over Monroe / or Boge suspension hahaha. Rather cool, must i say, nicely packaged, undamaged, even the drop links are supplied along with the usual bits and pieces. So i'm looking forward to installing these, but it'll be one of the last things i do on the car.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Picked up a New Radiator, Behr, from BMWorkshop in town, plus a Driveshaft Guibo / Donut? I'll just call it a "rubber thing"...gotta love my unorthodox car terminology ?. Could've went with other aftermarket options but this is ok for now.

image.jpeg

Edited by E36_Turbo
  • Like 1