Sign in to follow this  
glen.riley.1990

Adapting N62 oil Pump to M60, M62

Hey Guys,

i'm looking at adapting an N62 oil pump to an M60. Having trial fitted an N62 pump to the M60 the mounting points can be made to line up the Main caps pretty easily BUT where the N62 has a flat surface on the main cap for the pump to mount to the M60 and M62 caps have a recess for the bolt head.

i am considering getting some spacers turned up that will fit inside the recess and will raise the mounting surface for the pump, but was wondering if a set of N62 caps would fit. it appears that the main bearing diameter is the same between the two motors, but not the big end.

Does any one out there have a set of N62 main caps around that i could trial fit

Or

does any one already have an answer if if it would or wouldn't work.

any thoughts on either route appreciated.

2003 BMW 745Li E65 / E66 - Engine Crankshaft Main Bearing Caps and Bolts-main

N62 caps

IMG_3746.jpg

M60 caps

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

N62 Pump on M60 block

Cheers

Glen

• Like 2

Is the reason for doing this so you can fit the m60 in a three series without the sump fouling the crossmember?

I have briefly read about it as I will need to modify my m62 thats going in my e46 project.

I will follow this thread with interest.

Is the m60 going in an e36?

Yep thats the one! Not the easiest swap thats for sure.

i thought i would give it a go with bits i had in the shed and have heard the rumor it can be done. Depending on how complicated things get its a little more elegant than hacking up the x5 M62 oil pump.

And external or dry sump systems usually involve a big budget.

Progress wont be instant but ill let you know how i get on.

Any progress on this?

On 12/9/2017 at 1:40 AM, zero said:

Any progress on this?

a little, albeit very slow. i have machined up a set of spacers, and can mount the pump to the main caps on the M60. the next things i need to do are turn the oil pump drive shaft down to align the sprocket to the drive off the crank, then shorten the oil pump drive chain off the M60. organizing the oil feed to the block is also going to require some fiddling.

having changed housing situation  im aiming to make a bit more progress in the new year

Is the goal to have a rear sump behind the crossmember, instead of a front sump in front of it?

yeah thats the goal, i have the N62 sump too, which so far looks to mate up with the M60 just fine. Its big though, it will be interesting to see how it fits in the car.. 

what gear I put on the oil pump from n62 because I put it on m60 and I do not know what gear to put

On 2/21/2019 at 11:48 AM, Pavkata325 said:

what gear I put on the oil pump from n62 because I put it on m60 and I do not know what gear to put

Hey mate, sorry for the slow reply. i have moved away from using the N62 pump and now have a dry sump setup. when i was looking at N62 sump i had gotten to the point of either using the M60 sprocket modified to fit the shaft (as the N62 has a different design chain and the sprocket wont work with the M60 crank sprocket )or a ISO chain sprocket modified to fit the shaft with the same approximate diameter as the N62 sprocket.

The N62 sprocket is smaller, so would result in more oil delivery per engine RPM than the M60 sprocket. I believe the N62 pump is a 2 stage design with an internal relief when a certain oil pressure is reached due to Vanos on the newer engine, which means you might get away with the M60 sprocket. you could always measure oil volume per revolution of the pump to figure out the approximate size of sprocket you need on the newer pump to match the delivery volume of the old pump.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:43 PM, glen.riley.1990 said:

Hey mate, sorry for the slow reply. i have moved away from using the N62 pump and now have a dry sump setup. when i was looking at N62 sump i had gotten to the point of either using the M60 sprocket modified to fit the shaft (as the N62 has a different design chain and the sprocket wont work with the M60 crank sprocket )or a ISO chain sprocket modified to fit the shaft with the same approximate diameter as the N62 sprocket.

The N62 sprocket is smaller, so would result in more oil delivery per engine RPM than the M60 sprocket. I believe the N62 pump is a 2 stage design with an internal relief when a certain oil pressure is reached due to Vanos on the newer engine, which means you might get away with the M60 sprocket. you could always measure oil volume per revolution of the pump to figure out the approximate size of sprocket you need on the newer pump to match the delivery volume of the old pump.

Hi there,i just your posts about oil pumps for your m60,posted in 2019. Was it successful?