Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E36 318iS MS Sedan Fixer Upper

Where to begin... this E36 is a Commemorative model from South Africa, and it's had a rough life, been deregged, found itself owned by Pick-A-Part, and other travesties like Shadow Chromes.

The price was right, but a LOT of work is ahead of me to get this thing looking good and back to basically stock, because it was pretty sweet ex factory.

I know, I know, I should have gotten a 323/325/328/M3 or whatever, but, the fuel economy in these things is awesome, and it's a shopping cart first and foremost, and for me, the power of my E30's M20B23 was more than enough, and this has the same, 100ish KW, I get my giggles in the corners.

The Shitlist: (For now, I'll probably thing of more, Turbo or NOS or something).

• Find some 17" Style 32's (They were what was factory on this.
  • Fix weird Swaying when corning or weight goes on/off front axle (Sway Bar had almost fallen off left hand tie rod due to nut being loose)
  • Fix Both front Window Regulators
  • Fix Sun Roof
  • Sort out ride height (Installed Eibach Lowering Springs)
  • Clear Coat peeling terribly
  • Dozens of dings and dents
  • Replace lamps behind dash cluster (centre one or two are out)
  • Passenger side kidney grill
  • Replace missing wheel bolts on FR, RL & RR wheels.
  • Wheel Alignment
  • Fit Front Upper Strut Brace
  • Swap Boy Racer 'Dumpy' muffler for DTM Style Remus
  • Drivers right seat bolster
  • Steering wheel leather, or preferably smaller diameter steering wheel
  • Glove Box won't stay up
  • Install Sub Woofer
  • Swap current head unit with Bluetooth 
  • Replace Gearbox (currently popping out of third)
  • 5 Speed 'M' OEM Leather Gear Knob
  • Z3 Shifter
  • DSSR and new bushings everywhere for shifter linkage
  • Fogging inside passenger head light
  • Bumper and side skirts need serious TLC or replacement
  • Mount Front Number plate... properly.
  • Install factory Air Intake or nice Aftermarket Kit

IMG_0999.JPGIMG_0998.JPGIMG_1001.JPG

Edited by EURO V8

Ride Height and Window Regs were todays mission, both were proper f**ked, left door was panel off when I bought it, with over half the bushes mounting posts missing, and some other parts, basically windows were stuck or wedged up and the seller instructed me not to touch the buttons or armageddon, I didn't take any pics of this work, but it's complete now, and if anyone else has to do it I recommend this tutorial with the caveats that apparently these never had window stoppers, and a Reciprocating Multitool thing with a metal cutting blade is probably easier than the Dremel he suggests, that's what I used anyway.

Old and new springs side by side, I suspect the front springs are from a 325 or 328, new springs left old springs right,

IMG_1005.JPG

Ride Height front before and after respectively;

IMG_1003.JPGIMG_1008.JPG

Not a massive drop, but It's a really smooth ride, the springs are Eibach/Bilsteins or some such that Brent happened to have laying around. Rear dropped a fraction, but no where near as much as the front, the spring rate feels nicer at both ends, and it's a much smoother ride than my slammed(ish) E30.

Edited by EURO V8

What condition were the shocks in?

10 hours ago, zero said:

What condition were the shocks in?

Front shocks were new-ish Monroe Reflex's, maybe 30,000k's on them, rears looked like original MS items, it is a todo to get new MS shocks on it, but it's way down the line as it feels okay for the moment.

• Like 1

Sorted Shifter bushes and knob out, moves and looks way nicer.

Before

https://www.youtube.com/embed/W2jFlOnCpcA

After

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uOiqTpzOfqg

Was a bit of a mission as the PO or POO/PPO? actually glued the shift knob on, it must have been quite the sight watching me remove it, took around 15 mins.

image_22.jpgimage_23.jpg

Also sorted out exhaust and muffler but will post that up with a sound clip video once i finish the gearbox swap.

Edited by EURO V8
How the heck do you embed youtube vids here...

The 318is donor Jooles and i bought had 2x style 32's on it when we handed it over to Brent at BM world. Ping him if you're still after them.