Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Oh look! Another e36 project.

Few more pics of our recent efforts.

Swapped a box of beers for an m52 dipstick tube, as we needed the oil return tube for the oil separator. Turns out it didn't fit in the M50 sump.. All good though, big thanks to @aja540i for welding the return tube on to the M50 dipstick tube!

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Cleaned up the ICV and TB. ICV before :

IMG_2411.JPG

TB after :

IMG_2416.JPG

Soldered and insulated 4 broken wires for the windshield washer jets :

IMG_2415.JPG

Fixed the broken fuel tank vent pipe connection to the charcoal canister/Purge tank thingee :

IMG_2417.JPG

New Battery :

IMG_2419.JPG

Gave the inlet manifold a bath to decoke it :

IMG_2418.JPG

Ordered some goodies to sort out the Vacuum leaks :

IMG_2420.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, M3AN said:

^ Where did you get the refurb kit?

Chinese seller on eBay. Even came with a clever little tool for removing the filter. I did all 12 previously on the 8er so I've got pertty quick. Took me 15-20 minutes to do six. 

The kit has enough for 4 more injectors which you're welcome to but guessing you need two more sets!

that battery will slow you down ;)

Are you going to clean the injectors yourself or are you going to send them away to be done?

4 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

that battery will slow you down ;)

It's about half the size of the stuffed bmw battery the car came with :)

2 hours ago, zero said:

Are you going to clean the injectors yourself or are you going to send them away to be done?

Injectors are being cleaned and tested this week.

31 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Injectors are being cleaned and tested this week.

Hook ups ;)

9 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

It's about half the size of the stuffed bmw battery the car came with :)

this is what ya need . http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/batteries-mounts/auction-1203438068.htm

Got it running. Intake manifold installation is on par with doing the passenger side valve cover on an e39 M5. Clearance and lots of stuff getting in the way.

Did a partial coolant change, about 5 litres and bled the system successfully.

Engine runs well at wot for what it is but part throttle cruising at around 2-3000 rpm yeilds some missfires/over rich mixture due to the original b25 dme. Only engine fault codes that come back now are fuel trim limit on both banks.

Maybe time to just get a good b25 and sell the engine and gbox, which surprisingly doesn't go in to limp mode any more.

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

• Like 2

Needed a few things for a wof.

-inner tie rod ball joint

-front brake hoses

-front tyres

So after getting all that work done, getting a wof and an alignment it overheated on the way home. It cooked for about 20mins all the way home. Couldn't find any obvious leaks aside from the radiator cap. I bled the cooling system about 7 times using all the techniques posted on various forums. No joy, but this evening I learned that the waterpump wasn't new. The joys of $400 e36 cars..

Wof'd

IMG_2459.JPG

Wheel Alignment

IMG_2460.JPG

The reward at the end of an early Saturday morning 

IMG_2461.JPG

The reason

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

• Like 1

Why do all your pulleys appear to be red?

Anyway, 20 mins of overheat in an E36? Was it in the red all that time? Because that's not likely to be good I'm afraid, I've been told even a few mins in the red can be fatal on these things? I'd expect all of your coolant would be gone after 20 mins.

Congrats on the warrant though and at least these coolant systems aren't difficult or even too expensive to overhaul.

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

Why do all your pulleys appear to be red?

Anyway, 20 mins of overheat in an E36? Was it in the red all that time? Because that's not likely to be good I'm afraid, I've been told even a few mins in the red can be fatal on these things? I'd expect all of your coolant would be gone after 20 mins.

Congrats on the warrant though and at least these coolant systems aren't difficult or even too expensive to overhaul.

They're red because we all know it's a scientifically proven fact that this colour is the fastest. Probably why the waterpump died because the pulleys spin faster than they're supposed to?

Will see how things go after a new waterpump, luckily they're the same between M50 and M52 so when we eventually get an M52b25 engine we can swap it over.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, francoisv said:

What did you use for your intake bath?

Truck wash.

Was a waste of time, didn't move the caked on oil much.