Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Oh look! Another e36 project.

Went halves with Jooles in a 96 323i coupe on the weekend. Paid $400 for it and was able to drive it home. ?

Registered until the end of October and the wof ran out last Thursday.

The po installed a new radiator and thermostat, but skimped on a flush so one of the first jobs is to drain and flush out the poo water.

Plan is to fix some engine problems,  Manual swap, suspension and brake restoration, then enter it in the 2kcup series and have some fun.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegScanned the dme, cleared the fault memory and these returned after a drive.

-Vanos jammed

-CPS

-Bank 1 and 2 fuel trim limits.

To be continued..

• Like 4

nice score

-Vanos jammed , possibly just the vanos solenoid easy swap (or just free up and lube etc)

-CPS  , crank or cam sensor , , insulation stuffed under the boot on the plug end

-Bank 1 and 2 fuel trim limits , air leaks in take boot etc

Looks like we scored ourselves an underpowered 323i as the engine appears to be a b20 not a b25. Must have had a budget transplant. On the bright side, we may have found a wrecked manual parts car.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Haha bugger. 

Ah well, it will still make a good noise 

Yeah, still be heaps of fun around the track with a weedy b20.

• Like 1

320i coupe paddock basher from a few years back

loads of fun even as a auto .

also had various overs

like 316ti 5spd

318is 5spd

etc etc

but the stripped down coupe went quite well

bmw bits 244.jpg

bmw bits 249.jpg

• Like 11

Picked up the donor vehicle today. An SA spec'd 318is with a Getrag 250 in it. Was a bit of a mission but worth it in the end!

IMG_2266.JPGIMG_2267.JPGIMG_2269.JPGIMG_2268.JPGIMG_2271.JPG

• Like 2

drives mint too , does good skids ;)

• Like 1

Took a day of work today and got busy removing organs from the donor for the manual conversion. 

Huge thanks to Brent @BMworld today for providing much needed insight, air tools and a hoist.

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

• Like 2

Donor doesn't have a working 11 button OBC does it?

We've handed over the spares to Brent in return for his assistance. If there's not one in our heap, he'll have another for sure!

• Like 1

Dismantled the intake side of the engine which sadly is a m50b20tu block with m52b25 manifolds, injector rail, dme, maf etc. I think how we've ended up with this frankenstein fail motor is because the original m52 overheated, so an m50 block and head was installed in place. 

Engine numbers below confirm it's an m50 cast iron block :

IMG_2363.JPG

The head has an extra coolant temp sensor with no plug for it which according to realoem is the m50b20tu head.

Got a wee shopping list of gaskets and hoses to fix some vacuum leaks. If it's easy enough we might just flash the m52b25 dme to become an m52b20 manual as there isn't really much difference between the engine setup we have and an actual m52b20. 

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

One day we'll empty the boot out..

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

We also need the Shifter arms from a 220 box e36 6cyl as the ones we have are from a 4cyl. If anyone can help us that would be awesome. Not too keen to shorten the ones we have as we want the manual conversion to look as factory as possible.

IMG_2338.JPG

• Like 2

The heavier, underpowered M50b20 means we're not going to be quite as quick around the track as we'd anticipated but we never entertained the thought of winning. At least the iron block means the car is nice on low on its factory sport suspension!!

Hey guys, following this, love the plan.

As discussed with Martin today, 5 x 16" style 30's are yours for a few beers if you like. Tyres are workshop roll-about only but the wheels are straight. Also coupe door card bits are available as a trade for a smoke test on my 328i beast ;) once I pick my other ones up from Glen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Hey guys, following this, love the plan.

As discussed with Martin today, 5 x 16" style 30's are yours for a few beers if you like. Tyres are workshop roll-about only but the wheels are straight. Also coupe door card bits are available as a trade for a smoke test on my 328i beast ;) once I pick my other ones up from Glen.

Sounds like a plan! Will be in touch Dave. ??

Replaced the injector seals and filters ready for cleaning and testing.IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

• Like 1