Sign in to follow this  
Olly

97 318is MSII

Hi guys,

Was told to log in and say hi.  Name's Olly and I just bought Dion/Dan's old Fiji Green E36.  I had been looking to buy a cheap E36 project car for a while but most of them were in terrible condition..

I had a few wants - Motorsport, 4 Door, Sunroof, Rare colour, Low KM.

At one point I almost grabbed a Caypsorot 318i sedan from a dealer in Hamilton.. the main attraction that it had only done 110km and was a motorsport.. but it was in terrible condition on inspection.. which soon became the usual story, most of these cars are in horrible condition nowadays which is a real shaem.

After viewing Dions car... it had 80% of what I wanted to do and was absolutely immaculate, both Dan and Dion have done fantastic job restoring it.  After having it for a week, it really brings back memories of my first car, which was an old Mazda Infini.. just fun to drive, regardless of lack of power.. first manual car for 2 years or so as well.

I haven't taken any photos of the car yet, however here is a terrible photoshop of how I want it to sit height wise.. nothing crazy.

untitled.png?w=640

So I'll grab some coilovers over Christmas and get to work..  The wheels are 18x8+20, tyres are 225/40 all round, the rear rub's somewhere with 3+ people in the car, but i haven't investigated where yet.. I'm hoping I can get enough camber adjustment out of the stock arms to solve this.  In terms of coilovers... Probably just BC's?  Any other recommendations?  

I'm keen on an LTW rear wing as well, I prefer the way they look on the low mounts.. hopefully I can find a nice copy in NZ..

img_0608_zps5fea9ed5.jpg?w=640

Finally some sort of more aggressive front lip to match the wing.. which I haven't had much luck finding in NZ, again if you have any recommendations.. yell out.

92_e36m3acsfl2.jpg

I've never really been into fast cars... so the motor I'm not bothered about unless it gives me a headache.. then I'll probably do a 2.8 swap with exhaust and M50 mod.. the only thing I've read about recently that intrigues me is a Z4 shifter?  What are the benefits of swapping this?

I'm hoping I can have this car 100% how I want it all up for $10k.

I think that's about it.  here's a few of my old cars.. the 180 I was going to keep forever, I had it for 5 years or so and it got stolen one night from my apartment in Victoria Park.. I do laugh at the thought of the moron car thief realising it was only an SR20DE.  He did get caught and put back in jail which was fantastic.. but still.. I would rather have it (even now).

img_0122-s.jpg?w=640

And my JZX110 which I sold just before my son was born.. probably the fastest car I've owned (not that I've owned a huge list of cars) but it was fun.

img_4930.jpg?w=640

So that's about it.. hopefully I can get an update in here before the end of the year!

I saw an E36 that looked exactly like the top on on Waterloo road in Chch today, love those wheels.

Thanks.

18" on these does seem to help with speedbumps and driveways!

Welcome, love the fiji green colour!

Much like a Z3 shifter, the Z4 part has a much shorter throw than the stock shifter in an E36.

Hans here was selling a rep LTW wing I believe? Maybe try to PM him.

I have a crushed ACS front lip, much like the one shown, somewhere if you'd like to try and fix it too

Theses Motorsports are meant to have factory side splitters. Most of them have been knocked off now.

Few photos from Dion.. wheel arch gap is killing me at the moment haha.

1-e1475567398329.jpg

2-e1475567365528.jpg

3-e1475567381495.jpg

Edited by Olly

19 hours ago, Olly said:

I noticed that. Would a place like ECS sell them?

I don't know. I have pair sitting in the shed. I can get the part numbers for you if you like?

13 minutes ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

I don't know. I have pair sitting in the shed. I can get the part numbers for you if you like?

Here they are: 

Right: 51112264030: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/front-splitter-right/51112264030/

left: 51112264029: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/front-splitter-left/51112264029/

Just search ebay for "E36 velocity splitter" - don't pay hundreds for them!