Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Castrol Edge 5W40

So Supercheap has Castrol Edge 5w40 on sale at present and it does have a BMW LL01 rating. Is this a suitable oil for the N54 engine?

Nice special on that drop but you really should be using a 5w-30 and at least API SN and ll-01, or better still, ll-04.

You can get 5 litres of STP branded for 60 something  bucks at supercheap normally, better still on special. You need 7 litres but...get a big waste oil pan too!

John, I don't know about the N54 specifically, can say I've been running 5W40 in my M54 for some time now.    I'm using Penrite full synthetic HPR5, works better for me.  You can buy in 20L (just rock in to Repco and ask) it runs at a little better than the promo prices on all those 5L packs ($80 retail vs $55 promo?) - eg $205-ish (incl), they don't do promo pricing on the 20L but you're better off with that price anyway.  HPR5 meets BMW LL01.

My car uses less on HPR5 than on Castrol's 0w40 Edge or 5W30 Professional.

http://www.penrite.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_subcateg=&id_products=1

HTH

On 14/10/2016 at 10:02 PM, NakiTouring said:

Nice special on that drop but you really should be using a 5w-30 and at least API SN and ll-01, or better still, ll-04.

You can get 5 litres of STP branded for 60 something  bucks at supercheap normally, better still on special. You need 7 litres but...get a big waste oil pan too!

Make that 6.5 litres for an oil change.

On 15/10/2016 at 6:12 AM, Olaf said:

I'm using Penrite full synthetic HPR5, works better for me.

10 litres of this stuff is currently on special at Repco for $90 which is pretty sharp. Just loaded the 328i up with it.

35 minutes ago, M3AN said:

10 litres of this stuff is currently on special at Repco for $90 which is pretty sharp. Just loaded the 328i up with it.

hoy crap that's a very sharp price, Dave.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about it, next change.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

hoy crap that's a very sharp price, Dave.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about it, next change.

Will report back but not sure I'll learn much, the stuff that came out was awful. Mineral or semi-synth at best. I flushed about a litre of the good stuff down the oil filter housing and through the engine until it came out gold but that's hardly a proper engine flush.

I should probably drain it all again in 1000 km's and replace the filter again to give her a fresh(ish) start but that's another $100 and not sure of the gains. Perhaps if the Penrite is on special again at around that time I'll do it.

buy now, mate, have some ready for next time!  Perhaps Penrite's engine flush (or Wurth) before the next change is warranted, if the internals are unknown or it's really sludgy inside?

Bought the penrite all done so the next owner of my e46 will have a t least 10.000 kms before a change. 

Edited by Herbmiester

Just because the topic title is relevant...

Bump, Edge 5w40 is currently 40% off at Repco in 5l. The M3 shall be getting some golden love this week.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Old but relevant thread... if you're still using Castrol rather than Penrite then you can currently pick up 5l of 5w-40 for 45% off at Repco, less than $50 is a great deal.

I'll be picking up two bottles for the M3.

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/oils-fluids/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-edge-5w-40-a3-b4-engine-oil-5l-3421235/p/A1331904

• Like 2

The key to understanding the oils is reading beyond the rather misleading label grades Penrite HPR5 5w-40 vs Castrol Edge 5w-40 are both quite different

Thats actually a fair margin different in viscosities. I have a large table of comparisons I use when looking at oil options. Nerdy fun. 

322223340_hpr55w-40vs5w-40edge.thumb.png.a0056a3a9065f4c0cf9e1c74a1d29bad.png

53 minutes ago, Michael. said:

... Penrite HPR5 5w-40 vs Castrol Edge 5w-40 are both quite different.

Curious... what difference does this make in the real world ? I assume that engines can handle a range of viscosities as they don't always operate under ideal temperature/load conditions. And I always figured that if you used the manufacturers recommended grade e.g. 5W-40, you weren't going to be damaging anything. Is there more to it than this for an every day driver ?

Cheers...

PS: I accept that race cars will need an optimum grade when racing, but that is another story :)

1 hour ago, jon dee said:

Curious... what difference does this make in the real world ? I assume that engines can handle a range of viscosities as they don't always operate under ideal temperature/load conditions. And I always figured that if you used the manufacturers recommended grade e.g. 5W-40, you weren't going to be damaging anything. Is there more to it than this for an every day driver ?

Cheers...

PS: I accept that race cars will need an optimum grade when racing, but that is another story :)

Well I just bought some 5w-40 for that price cant go wrong. 

In reality it's neither hear nor there, the differences are so minute, even if you did back to back lab tests and all that if all is well you prob wont see any trends to worry about. 

I've always believed engine oil comparisons and test can only really be fairly shown in controlled  environments with 100s of thousands of kilometers done in a short time to find distinct patterns, otherwise you wont really see much of a difference in the real world. It's a hard thing to gauge when the difference of an engines life could be 300,000km vs 450,000 due to different oils, thats decades of driving under normal use! 

At the end of the day, a certain window of viscosities are going to work just fine in the majority of engines, of course going to thin or too thick, namely in very hot extremes or cold winters will bring issues fairly quickly, although seasonal temp variations are not so much an issue for the North Island. 

Youre certainly right with race cars though, close attention needs to be kept on the oil temps and pressures and really lab tests to see how the engine is doing internally, relevant if you dont have  big budget to do engine rebuilds every 5 minutes haha 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Edge 5W30 is 35% off, too.

And good ol' Magnatec 10W40 is half price. :)

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

Thanks for the heads up Dave, will pay a visit tomorrow and stash some away