Sign in to follow this  
Reuneb

E36 Door Handle Problems

Hi,

I have an E36 coupe, and recently the drivers door handle is getting difficult to open from outside and inside, especially if the window is up. I had an issue like this on my passengers side, which resulted in the outside handle breaking after my friend tried to open it without the 'knee in the door trick'. Replacing the handle was a nightmare as when I did, the window wasn't removed from the door. 

Is there is a solution for my drivers door handle problem with out replacing the whole unit as i'd rather not go through that again, but if i had to, does anyone have a 1996 (DEC 1995) door handle assembly? When replacing my passengers side one I realised the original lock tumbler did not fit into the replacement door handle, and I'd essentially like to use the same locks for my drivers door. 

Any advice would help, and I apologise if i'm in the wrong category, but seems like a maintenance thing...

Thanks

hi yes common issue is the frame that holds the handle breaks .

2 types of lock units r1 and r2

also the reason they probably break is due the plastic bush on the lever crumbles away after years

so then you need to lift the handle higher to open the door which results in the frame being stressed and then breaks.

may have a replacement

• Like 1

Also check the window is dropping when the handle is lifted. If its not, the microswitch in the catch might be faulty.

I've got a similar problem, is it possibly the rubber seal getting stiffer over time as well? My handles will lift to the full range, but it skips out on part of the mechanism and will only open the door sometimes, or always if pressure is put on the latch area.

9 hours ago, KwS said:

Also check the window is dropping when the handle is lifted. If its not, the microswitch in the catch might be faulty.

The catch on the chassis side I assume you mean? this is only triggered as the door opens.

Its pushing the limits of my memory, but it was a known thing on the interwebs. Im sure if you chuck E36 door microswitch into google it should clarify it a bit.

Try some lubricant around the handle/door lock etc. Mine used to jam up every 6 months or so, this fixed it.

For what it's worth, I took apart the whole thing today. Including getting into the lock mechanism, and door handle.

Turned out in my case it was the door handle had lost a bit of plastic around the activation lever, so it just wasn't giving enough travel into the door lock mechanism. It worked with the knee trick because it took the strain off the components, so they didn't flex and reduce the travel.

The good news is it's easy to check, you can feel the handle travel a little bit before it needs a bit of force and anything actually happens. Also put a finger in the lock mechanism to 'close the door' with it still open so you can look down into the lock mechanism while opening the door handle to see when bits move.

Here's a comparison pic between what I had, and the fixed version. Went from a 5mm pin to 8.8.

LockComparison.png

Any more information or link about the 8.8mm replacement pin? seems like the best option