Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

2006 S8 Audi V10

Ok, after much deliberation on what to replace an E38 with. I've gone with the S8 Audi. Keeping the Silver E38, can't part with that.

I looked at a few E65s and after throwing up in my mouth consistently, I decided I needed to look elsewhere. E60 550, been there. Options on large sedans with autos and pace with style are quite limited and this baby ticks all the boxes.

It's a NZ New, 1 owner with full Audi service history, 140ks.

love the look and the options boxes are well ticked.

V10 5.2l 450hp, B&O upgrade audio, keyless entry. All the full A8 options.

Drove back from Auckland, got 11.6l/100ks which was better then I thought. Included some spirited Action from the V10, sounds quiet glorious through the hills.

will keep a running record of maintenance and ownership here

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 14

v10 petrol? All wheel drivei assume.Audi just dont do it for me but i must admit there a are couple ofmodels that i would like to try

Yip v10 petrol 5.2, Quatro, derivative of the Lamborghini V10 with a few alterations, more toque less power, just 450 hp ;) 

• Like 4

Very nice. 

Audi also don't do it for me, but I'd have no worries having that (or an RS4) parked in the drive. 

You can't beat the price of larger Euro luxury sedans. I guess this is one benefit of having all these brain dead sheep flock to SUVs and Utes... The best all round driving vehicles on the road have now become forgotten about, they aren't as trendy as a Hyundai soft roader or similar tacky POS. 

The E65s are truely vomit inducing, and more so on the inside IMO... All of those buttons on the dash, centre console, doors that scream turn of the century. 

What sorta figure did the S8 set you back? I have my eye on this, I think these are 1000nm. Not a lot of cars for this money will come close for performance and luxury...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1176386498

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coop said:

Very nice. 

Audi also don't do it for me, but I'd have no worries having that (or an RS4) parked in the drive. 

You can't beat the price of larger Euro luxury sedans. I guess this is one benefit of having all these brain dead sheep flock to SUVs and Utes... The best all round driving vehicles on the road have now become forgotten about, they aren't as trendy as a Hyundai soft roader or similar tacky POS. 

The E65s are truely vomit inducing, and more so on the inside IMO... All of those buttons on the dash, centre console, doors that scream turn of the century. 

What sorta figure did the S8 set you back? I have my eye on this, I think these are 1000nm. Not a lot of cars for this money will come close for performance and luxury...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1176386498

830nm 

The AMG S65 had 1000nm.

Awesome, will be following this. The price of those S8 are coming down steadily, and they are a lot of car, tech and power for the money.

• Like 2

Epic Brent - I've drooled over and pondered S8s as the price looks super reasonable considering what they are. Always had a soft spot for S8s since 'Ronin' :P Before I bought my E60 I took an A8 for a spin (3.7 V8) and liked it. Then I measured it and found it would never fit in the garage :| They are huge!

The other thing that put me off was the much higher cost of the Autosure/Vero MBI cover as soon as you step to the A8 and S8 - same band as M and AMG. And after the $ I've spent on my 2 BMWs even with MBIs I'm cautious/chicken about moving 'to the next level' :)

Interested to see how your ownership journey goes!

Keep us posted! Honestly I'm not envious :blink:

• Like 1

Awesome, love these.

Much nicer sound than the S85 M5 V10 engine

Bring it to next months meet! 

• Like 1

Great car, congrats. 

It's amazing - once upon a time you'd buy a ten year old car and it felt old. Now it seems that a lot of these gently used second hand cars from the late 2000's are all still up there in terms of drive, ride and options. And for a fraction of their original price to boot. 

I guess they still have to be maintained like a 2-300K car but you can save some dollars on that if you're handy. 

Looking forward to following how this goes. 

• Like 2

It really is the golden age of second hand option at the moment.

1990s were one thing, but whats on offer in the mid to late 00s is pretty exceptional.

Cost and complexity of issues does go up with each year though, but if you're savvy enough and are prepared for the odd repair or two it's worth it! 

• Like 2

In the end it was any easy choice, It is friggen awesome drive with that power and as you say Mike, really a golden era with these type of cars at the moment. Everyone thinks its worth north of 50k as well, lol

I wonder how they respond to an ECU reflash.... :D

• Like 1

Needed some new mats, $99 for a custom set front and rear from Fitmycar. Perfect fit and complete with factory mounting points and shaped, very happy.

Highly recommend 

Battery died and was shot $400

running at 12.5 to 13 l/ 100ks so far on a few tanks. Pretty damn happy with that, mix of highway/ urban

Good clay bar and wax has brought the Magic out in the finish as well :) 

• Like 3

Awesome car, wish I could justify owning something like this. Much jelly, top points good Sir!

• Like 2

Righto, Taranaki to ChCh, sweet run down and 12l per 100ks running so far, includes some vigorous driving of the ChCh locals at around 17l/100. Run down south and then home next week .....

This thing kills fast open road driving, although over vigorous cornering ends in under steer which isn't surprising at its weight and fat V10 hanging out front but (relatively) ease into the corner and smash it out, never fails to deliver astonishing exit speed and makes up for it, racking through the paddle changes :D

Got a sweet drive in my mates 2013 C63 yesterday, fastest bloody beast I've ever been in, frankly the S8 feels a bit pedestrian after this. gives you a bloody nose and a dash of whip lash just for a lark. Mental, oh and he averages 20l/100ks of our best 98. :o

• Like 1

I have a c63 and it's worth the fuel usage! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HaNs said:

I have a c63 and it's worth the fuel usage! 

Every cent in my money as well 

On 10/10/2016 at 8:13 PM, Breaker said:

I looked at a few E65s and after throwing up in my mouth consistently, I decided I needed to look elsewhere.

that had me laughing out loud.  the e65 is a bit of a two-bagger, right?   I've looked at them many times, and then.... face-on, they're like Lyle Lovett said in that song.  "she was ugly from the front, she was ugly from the front, she was ugly from the front..."  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Olaf said:

that had me laughing out loud.  the e65 is a bit of a two-bagger, right?   I've looked at them many times, and then.... face-on, they're like Lyle Lovett said in that song.  "she was ugly from the front, she was ugly from the front, she was ugly from the front..."  

And there not much better on the inside! I really don't know what they where thinking about lol. Great quote BTW

Nice car! I'm not quite old enough for an S8 yet but always liked that shape :P  (Although I had an old man E55 hah!) I ended up with an E60 M5 instead.

Interesting the Audi V10 gets a LOT better fuel consumption than the S85 V10, I assume due to tuning and FSI.

Had a drive of an F10 5 series recently and they're a really nice car, although probably cost a good 10 grand more than the S8.  The S8 comes in at pretty good value as it sits between the older E60, W211 and the newer F10 and W212.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I think the S8 V10 sounds better than the M5 V10.

Something to do with the firing order I believe. 

Every M5 V10 I've heard sounds a bit Honda like at low rpm, and too loud up top, purely subjective of course.

But I think the Audi V10 hits a more soothing note thats cleaner throughout the rpm range. 

• Like 2

Now I just need a muffler delete :o, can't see the misses letting that fly

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Breaker said:

Now I just need a muffler delete :o, can't see the misses letting that fly

From memory theres two cats paired on the exhaust manifolds, both sides so 4 in total, and then a small pair of resonators, I wouldn't recommend touching any of those. 

On the S8 the mid section has a X / Kiss style balancing pipe - this would quieten the note down significantly. Some say it might increase power, but inside it just has a small hole, so theres no really much crossing over 'scavenging effect' The way the headers are paired do the bulk of that. 

I'd have that small cross over section deleted, and you'll find you'll get a much more glorious V10 sound. 

Stock mufflers would be good IMO, deactivating the vacuum flaps would give some more rumble in the low rpm range. 

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1