Jump to content
Breaker

2006 S8 Audi V10

Recommended Posts

I completely agree Michael. The BMW V10 just doesnt sound grunty enough to me, too tinny and high pitched.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10k Routine service and the brake pads indicator has been on.

Brake pads $85, rotors $532 and service. Total $1321 incl.

10l of 5w30 is $200 and genuine filter is $100 so overall pretty happy with the full amount.

the laugh of the day was the office lady went to pick up the replacement rotors and couldn't lift them. They are so bloody big.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, KwS said:

I completely agree Michael. The BMW V10 just doesnt sound grunty enough to me, too tinny and high pitched.

Having driven one around a wee bit now I think the sound is fantastic at moderate RPM and downshifts sound great. :) 

The high pitched thing only happens when you rev the sh*t out of it (which I haven't done).

Would like to hear the Audi tho!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Breaker said:

10k Routine service and the brake pads indicator has been on.

Brake pads $85, rotors $532 and service. Total $1321 incl.

10l of 5w30 is $200 and genuine filter is $100 so overall pretty happy with the full amount.

the laugh of the day was the office lady went to pick up the replacement rotors and couldn't lift them. They are so bloody big.

That seems a pretty reasonable cost including some big rotors. Nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

That seems a pretty reasonable cost including some big rotors. Nice.

yep you'd probably be hard-pressed to source your own for less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Puppies are 385mm, even with factory 20s I need to use a fine brush to get into them enough to clean!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge brakes haha. 

Specs suggest 1940kg unladen weight so with that kinda mass, you want to be able to stop efficiently, especially with 232hp per tonne available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$85 for pads? Are they made of compressed chinese recycled cardboard or something?!

Ive paid more than that for smaller pads on lesser cars, lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Michael. said:

Huge brakes haha. 

Specs suggest 1940kg unladen weight so with that kinda mass, you want to be able to stop efficiently, especially with 232hp per tonne available.

Yeah well stopping is definitely the tyre and brake combo no doubt and stopping this tank needs some dinner plates but this thing pulls up super good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KwS said:

$85 for pads? Are they made of compressed chinese recycled cardboard or something?!

Ive paid more than that for smaller pads on lesser cars, lol.

We'll see how they run, will update :)

if they are crap, it won't take long to work it out

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of new tyres Potenza S001s for the fronts before Xmas, $1050.

normal annual service, WOF etc. everything else has been great, spare a fiddly issue with the window washes on the drivers headlight needed some sorting and a new cable tie.

Had a couple of runs up to Auckland recently.

Avg 11.8l per 100ks overall off the trip computer. Getting 11.2 on the open road trip up and back, get stuck and slowed with holiday traffic along at 80 it soon comes back to 10s so can’t complain.

We’ve had it for a while now so might look to move back to a 550 or there abouts. Plenty to think on. Sitting at 162ks now

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

BMW ‘pushing’ engineering again, they seem to have a thing for buggering up V8s, from the M62 to the N62 and now the N63. 

Likely look at a LCI N62 08 or 09 as they’ve got that one more sorted ... with a mech warranty of cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd stick with the S8, it's stylish unique car, few compare. The BMW substitutes seem bland and generic. 

All will have their problems I suppose. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's your thinking with the switch? Just time for a change? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

What's your thinking with the switch? Just time for a change? 

Yeah I tend to get restless, possibly impending move to Auckland may also land the S8 as the daily .... not what it’ll be best at. Time will tell. The 38 will stay Sunday driver duties no matter what.

Trouble is once you start the options are near endless from turbo N54s in every disguise, shape and type to 535ds which are also tempting. Plenty of time to work it out

Edited by Breaker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Michael. said:

Depends how fast you want to go I guess.

These new Jaguar XJs seem like a good deal, mid range power though 380hp / 515nm 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/jaguar/auction-1505447948.htm?rsqid=f60ada76eebb49978f7d5623efd19121

Your right Mike, ultimately I think I like the idea of a small turbo go cart but my reality will be something bigger, more of a good GT with good spec. Jags interesting for sure.

I don’t have kids to worry about hauling but like a nice wagon for styling, SUV out. Just not me and don’t need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×