Sign in to follow this  
bradgalbraith

E36 M3 Evo timing...

Hello everyone, I recently took the plunge and did the Beisan procedure for my vanos on my M3 Evo (rattle kit and seals). Just a bit of background info, before I started the vanos, it already had a lumpy idle and was gutless as anything. I replaced a faulty air temp sensor in the plenum and the MAF, coils and plugs all checked out. I figured it would be the vanos solenoids and the issue seems to have gone away but now I have a new one (typical). So whilst I was trying to set the timing I could not for the life of me understart the Beisan systems procedure because it didn't correspond with what I was seeing on my own motor... to cut a long story a little bit shorter, I actually have two intake cams as a performance mod which required an experienced mechanic to point out. The car ran mint after it was first started with the adjusted timing but after warming up it is now sort of bogging and has become unresponsive. 

Would this be likely to be related to my cam arrangement or another possible issue? Also, what's the likelihood of having two intake cams doing more hard than good? Pretty lost at this stage so any advice would be appreciated. 

Two intake cams, interesting, never heard of that.

They're very similar in profile but that's where my knowledge runs out. I think timing is one thing (probably the simple thing) but then I'm sure some tuning would be required?

Unless you know who did the original work I'd think changing back to stock and proceeding from there would be the safest route. Others may have a different opinion?

Is it throwing any codes? Does it pass the VANOS test in DIS?

S50B32StockCams.jpg

Edited by M3AN

I recently got a scan at eurosurgeon and they came back with the air temp sensor and some old SMG issues but apart from that I don't think anything else.. might have to get another scan..

25 minutes ago, bradgalbraith said:

I recently got a scan at eurosurgeon and they came back with the air temp sensor and some old SMG issues but apart from that I don't think anything else.. might have to get another scan..

Bring it round to my place mate, I'll do that and the VANOS test for free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Awesome mate, I'll bring the alignment tool with me

Sweet, I'm out tonight though.

Brad, have you spoken with Gregory BMW tech from HB? He had the exact same problem with my mates 3.0 m3 and they eventually fixed it. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this to you but thought I would mention it again. 

Nope I haven't.. Gregory Hook? It seems to be unrelated to the lumpy idle I had before I did the vanos. I think the lumpy idle was because one of my exhaust solenoids had a broken connection. The car now bogs and becomes a sack of crap if you try give it a punch of throttle. I got it scanned at Daves place (once again, you're a legend mate!) and it came up with a cam angle sensor. Might replace that tomorrow and see if there's a difference. The vanos test said that my exhaust cam was 30 degrees out... not sure how that's possible because the car still runs ok besides the odd bogging issue and P&S auto set my timing for me manually and they know their stuff. 

Saw this car up for sale on facebook.

Did you figure out the problem?

Issue has not been solved yet. I took the plenum off and checked the vacuum lines and replaced a few which has made it run smoother but it's not 100%. I also managed to leave off a ground cable to the 6th coil which has been reconnected now. Overall it runs fine until you try give it heaps of gas at once. Yes, I had it up for sale for a brief moment because I thought I had fixed the issue. It will most likely be on the market in a few months.